What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mildew on pillows  (Read 13687 times)

OKC

• We love LA
Mildew on pillows
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:37 pm »
Greetings and Happy Holidays!!  One quick question....I am starting to see some mildew on my head rests.  Can you soak them in something to remove this?  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Mildew on pillows
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:37 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Mildew on pillows
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 05:34:44 pm »
Greetings and Happy Holidays!!  One quick question....I am starting to see some mildew on my head rests.  Can you soak them in something to remove this?  Any suggestions?  Thanks

OKC, I scrub them down after I shock the spa with dichlor. It works for me? Have you cleaned them before?

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

OKC

• We love LA
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 12:59:31 am »
What do you scrub them with?  I have wiped them down but the black mildew is still there.

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 01:38:12 am »

OKC, I scrub them down after I shock the spa with dichlor. It works for me? Have you cleaned them before?

Really?  I've washed mine once in 2 years.... no signs of any mildew or anything.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 01:38:47 am »
Ouch, I take them off and scrub them with a nylon bristle brush used to clean car wheels. I do it every month or so. If you let yours go too long you might have to soak them in bleach or something stronger. I'm sure some dealers will chime in sometime to help you out...

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 01:42:06 am »

Really?  I've washed mine once in 2 years.... no signs of any mildew or anything.

Brook, the back of mine get a little slimy so I just clean them since they are usually floating in the water anyway......

If you don't have any problems I wouldn't mess with it.  :)

Lars

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 09:34:55 am »
What do you scrub them with?  I have wiped them down but the black mildew is still there.
Tilex Mildew Remover works good.  I use it on the boat. Or get something stronger from a marina if that doesn't work.

Odd that you got it in the first place.  I'd up your chlorine dosage for awhile.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:11:37 am »

Mild bleach and water mix.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 11:33:41 am »
I am also having a problem with what I think is Mildew on my pillows.  Is this what you all are talking about?  I can't explain it because I moniter my tub's CL level pretty close.  When I shock, I rinse the pillows in the superchlorinated water when I wipe down the upper parts of the shell and underside of the lid.

This is the only place where this stuff appears.  The rest of the tub including the underside of the lid are clear.  I have tried to scrub the pillows with no good result.  Does anyone else have this stuff on the pillows?  I hate to replace them if the new ones are going to do the same thing.

If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Cyn

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 02:28:07 pm »
Rich--when did you first notice the spots?  Mildew, once formed on porous surfaces, is very difficult to get rid of.  Could it have developed at a time when you weren't able to be so careful with water chemistry and then, even though you maybe able to get rid of the spots on the surface, the porousness of the pillow covers means the mildew is still there and will just grow to the surface again.  

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »
Wow Rich. How long have they looked like that? It almost looks like the pillows are deteriorating--hard to tell with the photos.

My pillows only get a little slimy on the backside where the pillow rests on the shell. I've never had anything nest on the outside before.  

Do you have that stuff anywhere else? Is it on the backside of the cover or shell? Let us know how it goes.

Richs100

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 03:55:59 pm »
Rich--when did you first notice the spots?  Mildew, once formed on porous surfaces, is very difficult to get rid of.  Could it have developed at a time when you weren't able to be so careful with water chemistry and then, even though you maybe able to get rid of the spots on the surface, the porousness of the pillow covers means the mildew is still there and will just grow to the surface again.  

The tub was installed late November 2006.  I noticed these about 2 months ago.  The spots will not scrub off.

Gombo - The backs of the pillows are just fine.  No slime and no mildew.  Only on the fronts.  And no where else on the tub or cover.  The pillow in the corner seat is the worst one.

Any ideas?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 05:01:21 pm »
Wow Rich. How long have they looked like that? It almost looks like the pillows are deteriorating--hard to tell with the photos.

I agree.  In the photo it looks more like deteriorating pillows than spots.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:01:47 pm by tony »

Richs100

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 08:40:58 pm »

I agree.  In the photo it looks more like deteriorating pillows than spots.

No, the pillows are in great shape except for the spots.  No deterioration.  
(they are only a little over a year old)

Richs100

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 02:44:53 pm »
I gave this a Bump, since everybody is now back to work and maybe, someone can tell me what is causing the "schmeckle" on my pillows.  (see photos above)

Thanks, Rich

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 02:44:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42