What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hotsprings Grandee-Ice on the Cover  (Read 8613 times)

thomas07

Hotsprings Grandee-Ice on the Cover
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:53:32 pm »
Enjoying the new hot tub but was wondering if it is normal after it rains for water to stay on the cover? It seems it would make more sense for the covers to be angled so that the water would run off and not ice up, thus perhaps extending the life of the cover.

Hot Tub Forum

Hotsprings Grandee-Ice on the Cover
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:53:32 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Hotsprings Grandee-Ice on the Cover
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 12:02:01 am »
My tub is over 2 years old, but I do get puddles of water after it rains.  I don't have the icing issue cause I live in SoCal.  I don't remember it doing it when it was new.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:43:45 am »
My HS cover has always collected a puddle of water on each side of the cover. It's not a huge deal, but the cover is starting to discolor in those areas. When I see the standing water, I usually open the cover to drain off the water.

We did have a cold night last week and had a small amount of frost on the cover--I don't think I can call it ice. My kids were so excited they thought it snowed in our backyard. It melted off by 9:00 AM.

I guess I should pull out the foam panels and turn them around to see if it makes a difference. Is this a difficult job?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:48:10 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:52:39 am »
Just the other day, I noticed a small frozen puddle on the backside of the cover on my 06 Envoy.  It doesn't involve a seam so I am not too concerned about it, but it did make me wonder about the slope that is supposed to be built into these covers.  In my case, obviously not.  While I really like my Hot Spring tub, I have always felt that the cover was a bit on the cheap-*ss side.  HS could do better IMHO.

And Gombo...RE: pulling out the panels:
A long time ago, I decided to replace the blue plastic sheet inside the cover on my old Prodigy.  The cover was substantially smaller than the one on our Envoys (and was not attached to the tub like mine is).  I can state with certainty that I WILL NEVER ATTEMPT TO DO THAT AGAIN.  >:(  It was a mess.  I also remember that I bought a new replacement cover shortly thereafter.  I don't recommend it.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 11:49:17 am »
Flipping the foam is no big deal, unless the cover is four years old or more. That seems to be the magical cut-off date at which the vinyl has shrunk and/or lost enough flexibility to make it a real tough job.

Don't try it alone -

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 12:03:56 pm »
Flipping the foam is no big deal, unless the cover is four years old or more. That seems to be the magical cut-off date at which the vinyl has shrunk and/or lost enough flexibility to make it a real tough job.

Don't try it alone -

8-)

I think you hit it on the head there, Chas.  I remember the vinyl being very unwieldy and the zipper almost impossible.  To add to that, the old blue liner was falling apart all over the place.   Maybe it is easier when the cover is newer.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:40:52 pm »

Don't try it alone -

8-)

Chas,

Thanks for the info.  I had noticed puddles on our cover as well and didn't think anything could be done about it.  Our cover is only 2 years old and I should be able to flip the foam over in the spring
Bullfrog 451

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 04:48:43 pm »

Don't try it alone -

8-)

Chas, is it normal for water to collect on a new HS cover? Would you tell a customer to deal with it or would you change it out for them?

Here's a photo of my 2 year old cover:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:05:10 pm by Gomboman »

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 06:46:20 pm »
That looks identical to mine Gombo.  I thought it might have to do with me never latching it closed, but it looks like in the pic you do latch yours.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 08:04:14 pm »

Chas, is it normal for water to collect on a new HS cover? Would you tell a customer to deal with it or would you change it out for them?

Here's a photo of my 2 year old cover:

The larger the spa the more apt the foam will bow in the middle like that even if it's 2# density. Changing the foam core is a major pain IMO. If it is just an aesthetic issue for you I would do my best to ignore it. It should not get worse, once it bows like that it pretty much stays as is.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 08:06:10 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

The larger the spa the more apt the foam will bow in the middle like that even if it's 2# density. Changing the foam core is a major pain IMO. If it is just an aesthetic issue for you I would do my best to ignore it. It should not get worse, once it bows like that it pretty much stays as is.

Thanks Spatech. Mine has done this since it was brand new. I never really was too concerned about it.

HS Dealers, would this have been covered under the normal warranty?

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 12:11:52 am »
Even got a little frost in Dallas
this morning on my new cover!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:12:32 am by Zep »

Scaramanga

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 01:40:40 am »
The cover looks smallish.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 09:53:24 am »
"The cover looks smallish"

If you are talking about mine, no it's a perfect snug fit.....I love it!

(and it's puddle free)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:28 am »
"The cover looks smallish"

If you are talking about mine, no it's a perfect snug fit.....I love it!

(and it's puddle free)

I really like the color of your new cover. Your previous one was alot lighter if I can remember correctly.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 09:55:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42