What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Falling asleep  (Read 9061 times)

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
Falling asleep
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:51:24 pm »
I find that I get so relaxed in the tub I might fall asleep. Then I get so afraid to fall asleep I get stressed, which kind of ruins the relaxation thing, ya know?  Do our bodies have some sort of "switch" that will wake us up if we sink under? I assume we do....has anyone heard of someone dying from drowning while falling asleep in a hot tub?
Ivie

Hot Tub Forum

Falling asleep
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:51:24 pm »

96SC

Re: Falling asleep
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 11:37:34 pm »
I would imagine that if someone slipped under water while asleep, any reflex action would wake you up.  All you'll need to do is know which end is up and right yourself.

My suggestion is to not worrying about drowning in the spa from falling asleep, I can't imagine it happening to a sober/straight person. (Famous last words, someone will come up with a link to a drowning story).

As a last resort, get relaxed wearing a snorkle. ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:40:11 pm by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 07:17:47 am »
I find that I get so relaxed in the tub I might fall asleep. Then I get so afraid to fall asleep I get stressed, which kind of ruins the relaxation thing, ya know?  Do our bodies have some sort of "switch" that will wake us up if we sink under? I assume we do....has anyone heard of someone dying from drowning while falling asleep in a hot tub?

I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV so don't take this as medical advice, but I'm pretty sure you'll wake up if you go under.  If you don't, what a way to go out, relaxing in your hot tub  ;D
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Cyn

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:56:09 am »
You will wake up...unless under the influence of something sedating.  If you nod off sitting up in church or at that amazingly stimulating business meeting, your head falls forward and you jerk awake.  People do a lot more dangerous things alone...and survive  ;)  Take a risk and relax in your tub!

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:30:26 am »
I was a little "under the influence" when I posted this....that was really more my concern. Thanks!
Ivie

loosenupspas

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 04:01:33 pm »
Search....never soak alone.  Always practice safe soaking........be careful!

96SC

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 04:06:30 pm »
I was a little "under the influence" when I posted this....that was really more my concern. Thanks!

Use a snorkle with a straw attachment. ;D
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 04:32:08 pm »
Today alone there's 2 stories in newspapers across the country (USA) of people that were in a spa alone, and drowned.  Both stories mention that while alcohol may have had a role in the drowning it's unknown as to how much of a role it played.

Yes you can  fall  asleep in a spa.
Yes you can slip beneath the water.
YES, you can drown.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 04:49:52 pm »
I would think outside of alcohol or drugs, if you fell asleep and slipped under the biggest danger might be that your waking reaction might cause you to hit your head and knock yourself out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 06:29:39 pm »
Search....never soak alone.

Never ever?  That sounds a little extreme to me.

My kids are not allowed to use the hot tub alone, but I probably soak by myself half the time.  Nothing like a nice soak after getting home late from working out.  At that time, the kids are usually busy with homework and the Mrs. is settled in for the night.  I have no choice but to go it alone.  Although relaxing, I don't ever recall even coming close to falling asleep in the tub.  Not really something I ever concerned myself with.

Cyn

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 06:33:26 pm »
I still think you are much more likely to slip in the shower alone and hit your head.  You really don't see people that nod off in their chairs actually fall to the floor.  Once again, if not sedated in any way through wine or beer, some meds, or whatever, I really feel driving, walking, showering and many other daily activities that we might do alone are far more dangerous!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 06:51:40 pm »
If I had to soak with someone every time I went in, I'd only soak a few times a month. :'(

I agree, as long as one is not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, there are far more dangerous things someone could be doing. I for instance think that one of the most dangerous things anyone can do is DRIVE tired. I know from experience. I was driving home from KC a few years back(not under the influence of anything) on I-70 and fell asleep. If it wasn't for those ridgid things just off the road on the shoulder waking me up, who knows what would have happened.

Heck you're probably alot more likely to slip and fall gettin out than anything else. I would not worry about it unless you've had one too many. In that case however, you shouldn't be doing alot of things. The smartest thing to do is to not put yourself in the situation. The most I've consumed and entered a spa is two drinks. I know better.

Brookenstein

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 07:01:11 pm »
I'm not allowed to soak alone.  I get dizzy most nights when we soak and have passed out 5 or 6 times when I've gotten out.  Now I'm not normal and we know that... so we take the extra percaution.  If there is no underlying medical condition and no drugs/alcohol I wouldn't see a problem.

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 09:55:37 pm »
Well, my husband never seems to want to join me, so I either go in with my kids during the day (NOT relaxing) or myself at night, usually everyone else is asleep. If I never soaked alone, I'd never soak. I guess I'll have to cut back on things that might make me a bit "under the influence"......awwww but that's no fun, this is the holidays!
Ivie

Scaramanga

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 12:27:44 am »
You are much safer soaking alone in your portable spa than attending the San Francisco Zoo.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 12:27:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42