What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1 Year Anniversary - Nordic Crown XL  (Read 12426 times)

Sudzz

1 Year Anniversary - Nordic Crown XL
« on: December 26, 2007, 03:56:24 pm »
Just wanted to report that we just passed the 1 year mark with our Nordic tub and have had no problems whatsoever!  Water holds perfect temp, pump runs and sounds like new, shell material is amazing (like new with no maintenance despite several tub parties) and the cabinet also looks like new.  Water maintenance has been a breeze as well - especially once I got a routine going and stopped micromanaging the chemicals.

After hearing about the problems some other new tub owners have reported, I told my wife, "we made a good choice and we've probably been a little lucky too!"

The only negatives are a slightly higher electric usage than I anticipated (not too bad) and some cover wear that happened during the first few months before I fabricated a cover shelf/holder.

I'd happily recommend a Nordic to anyone looking for a simple, fun and reliable tub.
Nordic Crown XL - Purchased 12/06

Hot Tub Forum

1 Year Anniversary - Nordic Crown XL
« on: December 26, 2007, 03:56:24 pm »

mntubber

Re: 1 Year Anniversary - Nordic Crown XL
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:59:01 pm »
I to have a Crown XL - purchased last October.

It has been everything I expected and more!

I use it almost every day. There was only one day last winter that was too cold. The wind was blowing about 30 mph and the temp was about -20. Even the knit hat didn't do the trick that time. We have had a great December here in Minnesota and am looking forward to the rest of the winter.

My electric bill has see a larger increase than I expected - but I'm not complaining. I keep it at 104. Thought at first I would turn it up and wait before going in - but that only lasted about 2 days. Much rather go in spontaneously.

The best features for me are the strong jets and the depth. It is also easy to move around and do stretches. My job is very physical and it has cut down (for sure) on the trips to the chiropractor.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:24:45 am »
HI Sudzz,

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your Nordic Crown.  :)   My first tub was a 3rd hand Nordic.  Overall It was a fun tub (round open seating ). Simple, roomy and taught me alot about water care and what I wanted and didn't want in a tub. However, overall I wasn't too impressed with it as far as filtering, constructin (cabinet flooring and side walls were shoddy that year) and electrical consumption went throught the roof in the winter. I kind of hedge when folks ask about Nordic.  But realize my tub was used, and a few years old when I got it.  

The XL is a 240v spa, correct?

Do you have it outside? Where do you live? What do you esitamte the winter month electrical is?

I've heard that Nordic now makes the tubs full foam, is that true? My old one only had spray on foam on the shell. I'm curious what nordic is now doing inside it's cabinet.

anywhow, I am glad you are enjoying your tub.  when folks get togethor and want to solicilze in the hot tub, I really miss the round open seating that Nordic has.  It's a tradition style that seems to be harder to find each year.

07 Caldera Geneva

Sudzz

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:32:23 am »
HI Sudzz,

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your Nordic Crown.  :)   My first tub was a 3rd hand Nordic.  Overall It was a fun tub (round open seating ). Simple, roomy and taught me alot about water care and what I wanted and didn't want in a tub. However, overall I wasn't too impressed with it as far as filtering, constructin (cabinet flooring and side walls were shoddy that year) and electrical consumption went throught the roof in the winter. I kind of hedge when folks ask about Nordic.  But realize my tub was used, and a few years old when I got it.  

Do you have it outside? Where do you live? What do you esitamte the winter month electrical is?

I've heard that Nordic now makes the tubs full foam, is that true? My old one only had spray on foam on the shell. I'm curious what nordic is now doing inside it's cabinet.

anywhow, I am glad you are enjoying your tub.  when folks get togethor and want to solicilze in the hot tub, I really miss the round open seating that Nordic has.  It's a tradition style that seems to be harder to find each year.

Like all spa/tub manufacturers, I'm sure Nordic has come a long way in their design and construction.  Mine still looks and performs like new in every way and I'm sure I'll be saying the same thing for many years.

Yes, it's a 240V tub, it is outside here in CT and I've estimated the Winter electrical usage at about 15kWh per day.  We pay .19/kWh so that adds up to more than $75/month.  I was hoping for an increase of only $50 but my salesperson's estimate of $30-50/month was right on IF we only paid .10/kWh (seems to be the baseline number most manufacturers of electric products use).

I bought an 06 floor model (never filled) and I don't think full foam was even an option then.  I think that started with the 07's.  As a result, I have the foam sprayed on the bottom of the shell only.  I'm sure it's not the most efficient design and I've toyed with the idea of adding some type of insulation to the inside of the cabinet but never seem to be able to get out of the tub long enough to do it!

It is a fantastic party tub and we get lots of compliments on the traditional round design and the bench seating.  Oh, and I LOVE the whirlpool jets more than anything - I could sit in there for hours with those on full!  Ya can't do that with a square tub.

104 degrees

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:51:04 am »
HI Sudzz,

Full foam is the square tub only. My Crown XL is going on five years old and still runs new.It has been moved to three different homes and still looks good.

I have found that my new Cover that is 4" to 6"s deep is making alot of diffence in the energy dept. We have noticed it turns on only half the time as with the old cover. I'm starting to think its really not the insulation on the sides,its whats on top that matters the most. Like one owner said----I keep it at 104 Degrees---I do to.i do belive if you leave it on a lower temp it will conserve but its not ready when i need it.

I do belive what ever i get for a new tub, it will have the 6" to 4" cover.

I do belive it will be another crown Xl with the circ pump and plastic bottom.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:09:49 am »
104;

I tend to agree that the cover can make a huge difference. I know on my old Nordic,  the cover was a mess. I ended up placing bricks on it to keep it down tight.  - I knew very little about hot tubs, and the "friends" who gave it to me knew even less.  Talk about a lerning experince.  ::)

Roughly, can you esitmate what savings you've seen between the two covers?

Sudz, do you have a cover lifter with the round tub?  

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:10:18 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

104 degrees

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 11:32:50 am »
104;

Roughly, can you esitmate what savings you've seen between the two covers?

Sudz, do you have a cover lifter with the round tub?  

I have no idea on the savings. i just know that the tub seems to be running less. last week are pellet stove broke just before the cold weather came in. it was in the teens to zero outside and we never heard the tub come on. i thought we would hear it without the stove running but it never happend.

I am starting to belive that a better hat then coat is better.we also get alot more steam in the face when we open it then in the past.

We are more then happy with the new cover and the Nordic.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 02:15:56 pm »
Nordics factory covers are not real good. As a dealer you can order the spas without a cover and that's what we do. We use a local manufacture to make us a much better cover than the factory Nordic. I really like the Nordics for value. As for the covers Nordic themselves have shared with me they are limited in cover choices (builders in thier area) and feel it is the area of the spa that can be easily improved and we were encouraged to use our own source for covers.

104 degrees

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 02:21:42 pm »
Nordics factory covers are not real good. As a dealer you can order the spas without a cover and that's what we do. quote]

This is what we will do also. i think we will need to order our tub because of the circ pump and plastic bottom anyways.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 06:24:06 pm »
Congrats Sudzz

Any pics would be appreciated.

Sounds like your Nordic Spa is wonderful.

Sudzz

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 10:40:32 pm »
Congrats Sudzz

Any pics would be appreciated.

Sounds like your Nordic Spa is wonderful.

Here's some pics I posted a few months back.  Wish it looked like that now!  Just a bunch of crusty snow laying around.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1190150863/0#0
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 10:41:25 pm by Sudzz »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 08:37:15 am »
ok Sudzz.....now I remember
very nice set-up

"The Robb Report, experts with international renown for rating
premium products, named Nordic Hot Tubs one of the five best
spas in the world"

Looks like you got a good one!

wt21

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 05:39:03 pm »
Anyone on the board still using a Crown XL? It's an interesting tub to me for the price point and for groups. Wondering if folks still like these.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 03:10:13 pm »
I have an 8 year old one that still works good. It shows wear but the pump/heater/board are still functioning.

I've always touted them as a good value choice versus other more expensive tubs.

The original owner used it for 6.5 years with no trouble. Even though it didn't necessarily need it, I have replaced the pump with a 2 year old one and have run it for a couple months now. Going to see if I can get a grand for it.
Retired

Hottubguy

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 11:21:25 pm »
Anyone on the board still using a Crown XL? It's an interesting tub to me for the price point and for groups. Wondering if folks still like these.

Have you wet tested one yet?  It's my favorite nordic tub

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 11:21:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42