What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Repacement Cover Needed - questions?  (Read 4540 times)

KennyG

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Repacement Cover Needed - questions?
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:42:57 pm »
Hello

It's been a long time since I last posted here. We have a Marquis Euphoria 2003 model and so far so good except........one of the dogs jumped on top and took a liking to the cover taking a big one foot by four foot chunck out. So we're having to get a new one and frankley after looking at four or five "cover" sites they all seem to be the so-called best.

I've seen custom fit, custom order, factory fit, excellent five year warranty, this one solid and that one better made. Where to start and make sense of the Cover Story?

Kenny and Alice Jones
Nashville TN

Hot Tub Forum

Repacement Cover Needed - questions?
« on: December 23, 2007, 12:42:57 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 01:04:46 pm by WHY_NOT »

clover

Re: Repacement Cover Needed - questions?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 01:19:32 pm »
So much is lost in the purchase of the Hot Tub that no one really understands what makes covers different.  As you have discovered, they are all "the best" you could consider.  However, when they emphasize warranty, read it, when they emphasize price analyze the content, shipping is always an expensive part of the cover.

Given the choice you have, to purchase any cover you choose, get a good one with higher foam density, wraped or even double wrapp sealed to retard absorption of moisture, and double stitched or reinforced seams at stress points with a pillow seal at the center seams.

A good place to start would be with a Marquis replacment cover from your dealer.  Taht should set your price point and investigate on from there.

Check out rhtubs.com for comparisons in your evaluation process.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 02:57:34 pm »
I don't think Doc's covers can be beat.

http://www.rhtubs.com/covers/insulate.htm
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=lets

I'm not going to disagree.  However, what is that opinion based on?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 03:04:38 pm »

I'm not going to disagree.  However, what is that opinion based on?
After years and years of going from town to town standing on people's spa covers in the middle of the night, Doc's were the only ones that didn't concave.  ;)
During my research I encountered 5 ferocious felines, 4 barbed fences, 3 piles of poop, 2 spraying sprinklers, and a partridge in a pear tree.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 03:20:10 pm by WHY_NOT »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 05:23:32 pm »
Based on the price and what you get I would say that Doc's covers are probably one of the best around. I've done some on-line research and getting an extreme cover with a R 21 rating, full hinge seal and double wrapped core is probably the best value out there.

I also like the fact that he has gussets in the skirt. My cover doesn't and it always is bunching up in the corners.

STAY AWAY FROM THE SPA CAP!

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 10:52:25 pm »
1)  Go with 2# density foam

2)  Get a cover with at least 2 inches of fall on the slope  (i.e. 4x2 or steeper) for proper rainwater run-off.

3)  Warranty shouldn't be determining factor unless you buy from a local dealer because no warranty covers cost of freight.  Many times, cover manufacturers will authorize their dealers to do the "warranty inspection".  This is huge because you don't have to pay for "inspection" freight costs.  If you're buying on the internet, just consider the cost of executing the warranty.

4)  Match your cover to your budget.  All the various options eventually pay for themselves, but you may not need every single upgrade.  If you live in Florida, you don't need an R-24 cover with reflective bottom material.

MarKee

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 03:16:57 pm »
The Marquis cover that comes from the factory is one of the best out there.  It is a 2# density foam that can support the weight of someone standing on it, it's tapered from 4"-2.5", and it has a linear heat seal that prevents heat loss down the center seam.  The current 2008 Euphoria model uses the same cover as your 2003.  Your cover is 90"x90" with a  17" corner radius.  

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 03:25:47 pm »
I would agree with MarKee.  Marquis specs one of the best covers as an OEM product.  It's sad that most manufacturers don't do this.  Marquis has decided to spend the extra money and equip a nice cover.

I would have to disagree with the standing on a 4-2.5" 2# foam cover though.  That's pushing it a bit.  In a pinch, sure it would probably hold.  But that spec is definitely not a walk-on cover.

KennyG

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 08:15:55 am »
Well thanks for all the suggestions and tips. Like I said we've been very pleased with the Marquis. Before buying we did extensive research (two months) and decided on the Marquis. When we went to demo it the seller jumped on top of the cover and walked around for several minutes. I would say we'll start there but the dealer folded and the next one is about 120 miles away.

I'll probably contact Marquis directly but also look at "Doc's" as well. The overall build, warranty, and shipping charges will have a bearing on our decision. I guess the only concern on the fit is in the radius corners where I know not all tubs are alike.

Kenny J

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 11:17:32 am »
You should feel fine ordering from Doc.  After all, he is here so you cna hold him accountable if you have issues.

Markee gave you and doc the dimensions above, so he should be able to make it.

Unless things have changed, Marquis covers are made to their specs by Sunstar.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

KennyG

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 07:07:14 pm »
You should feel fine ordering from Doc.  After all, he is here so you cna hold him accountable if you have issues.

Markee gave you and doc the dimensions above, so he should be able to make it.

Unless things have changed, Marquis covers are made to their specs by Sunstar.

You are correct. I pulled out our spa info and there is a sheet about the cover and it has Sunstar on it.

Kenny J

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 07:07:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42