What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Outdoor speakers for iPod  (Read 3336 times)

fernem

Outdoor speakers for iPod
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:32:35 pm »
Hello, again. Well I blew it and didn't act fast enough to purchase the blemished Optima with stereo speakers by Bose. I am disappointed. So I am getting the Optima without it and am now looking into putting together a good outdoor system for the spa. My tub will be just feet from my bedroom and garage and there is even a small eave. Any suggestions for wired or wireless good sounding speakers that I can connect my iPod to while out in the tub? I could even rig up an iPod holder in the garage right nearby and have them connect by cable to the speakers outside. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like good music. I can already take my JBL On Tour speakers and prop them up outside on a shelf but I am concerned about moisture for the iPod and also want better fuller sound from larger speakers close by. I even have a Harmon Kardan subwoofer from an old iMac set up if I could figure out how to include that as well. Thanks for any suggestions.

fern

Hot Tub Forum

Outdoor speakers for iPod
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:32:35 pm »

Josh

Re: Outdoor speakers for iPod
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:04:33 pm »
Check out places like Best Buy or Circuit City for outdoor speakers. They have all kinds (including some that look like rocks that you can hide in the landscaping. I have a pair very similar to these:

Which I've mounted on the deck.  Rain, snow...nothing's stopped them...they work great.  Nice and loud too.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Dual-Outdoor-Speakers-White-LU43PW/sem/rpsm/oid/128450/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:55:20 pm »
Josh,

May I ask what you paid for those.

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:32:50 am »
You may want to think about hooking up the ipod to a receiver and then run some wires (or wireless) for speakers near the tub.  I found that the noise of the tub when all the jets are on is very loud.  I used an old receiver that helps with cranking up the sound.  Even if you tried powered speakers just with the ipod, you may not get it loud enough.  Polk has great outdoor speakers that I bought on the internet for about $150.  They were so good that I bought another pair for the other side of the deck.  They are not cheap, but they will last.  They were well over $200 in the retail stores.  Good luck and happy tubbing!

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:34:59 am »
I just bought a set of Sharper Image wireless speakers at Bed Bath & Beyond for $99 minus the 20% coupon you can get everywhere (Linens and things has them too). I hooked them up to my AppleTV, and was surprised at how well these cheapies work! Plus, they look nice too. I figured, right now, I've spent so much on the Hot Tub, Patio, Screen, electric........plus the Holidays, I'd try out the cheapies before dropping another bundle. I don't think that with jets on I am that concerned about sound quality, but I was surprised at how well these did. You can plug the receiver into a headphone jack or audio out. That way you are not limited to just use with your ipod also. I am using it with my home theater (but right now I have a 14 foot Christmas Tree blocking the view of my plasma TV from the spa). These are wireless, and run on 6 C batteries per speaker.

I just hooked it up yesterday, so I can't attest to anything long term. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 09:37:31 am by searchinginfl »
Ivie

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:34:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42