What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for Sundance folks...  (Read 3975 times)

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
Question for Sundance folks...
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:23:47 am »
Have a question for all the Sundance experts out there.  We have a 2006 Sundance Maxxus that for some reason has always had an intermittant problem where the ozone icon on the LCD panel will not display.  It always seems to be working fine (light on the ozonator itself is always lit) but twice now since buying the tub my dealer has replaced both the ozonator and LCD panel.  Any idea what could be causing this?  Service tech tells me that the motherboard has to pick up .03volts of current from the ozonator to fire the icon, and for some reason mine is only putting out between .01 and .02.  
For what it is worth, my dealer uses JED ozonators, and is in the process of getting and trying a Sundance branded one.
Any thoughts as to what could be causing this to happen?  I realize I am getting ozone so long as the light itself is on, but my concern is I paid $12k for the tub and feel everthing should work as it is suppose to.

Thanks,
Gary

Hot Tub Forum

Question for Sundance folks...
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:23:47 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Question for Sundance folks...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:29:21 am »
Everything SHOULD work as it's supposed to.  Maybe it's the non -Sundance ozonator.
The tech should be able to determine what the output of that part is supposed to be, and if the ozonator is supposed to put out the .03V and it's not, the ozonator is the problem.  If it's normal for that part to put out less than the required voltage, then they should use Sundance parts, or a part that is more compatible than what they are using.
Just my .02.  It is annoying when you spend that much $$$$$ to not have everything running as promised.  You're not getting what you paid for.

Be glad you have a nice long warranty- hopefully the dealer will get tired of constantly replacing parts for you for free and do what works.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:30:11 am by Brewman »
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:51:58 am »
From what I understand this is pretty common when using aftermarket ozone units.  One of the downfalls of using a non SD ozonator is that the icon on the control panel won't work right.  It is exactly because of what your tech is explaining...the icon displays when there is a certain voltage draw.  Any variance will affect its operation.  A Sundance ozonator will display correctly.

clover

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:55:53 am »
You supply voltage, but you consumer amps, or in this case .03 milliamps that is recognized by the circuitry to activate the icon.  

The more amps drawn by different ozonators higher amount of ozone that is produced.  Once they put the SD ozonator on you should have no problems.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 02:19:25 pm »
but my concern is I paid $12k for the tub and feel everthing should work as it is suppose to.

Thanks,
Gary

Sorry to hijack your thread Gary, but that same tub is $24k here in England!!!!

Ouch - dammit!

Nosh.

John-D

• oh but it is
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:28:01 pm »

For what it is worth, my dealer uses JED ozonators, and is in the process of getting and trying a Sundance branded one.

Based on our experience a Sundance spas ozone system only works properly with Sundance brand ozone unit.  

The spas main chip is programmed to work properly with the Sundance ozone unit and the Sundance ozone unit also has a fuse in it that protects the ozonator alone from any water that may make its way back into it should the check valve fail, in which case the fuse will just pop and not cause the GFI to trip.

There is a reason why the front of the control panel on each Sundance spa has a bold warning printed on it that only a Sundace Ozone unit is to be used, all others will void the warranty.

John
Sundance Spas dealer in London Ontario

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 01:41:53 pm »
Thanks for all the great advise.  My dealer called yesterday and the new ozonator is in.  Unfortunatly, it is going to be next week before I can have them out to replace it.  I wondered when they first set the tub up and installed an aftermarket ozonator, but more or les chalked it off as maybe this one was better.  Most likely the real reason was they can buy these JED units cheaper than they can get a Sundance Ozonator.

Thanks again,
Gary

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:49:46 am »
Probably more money in their pocket using an aftermarket one.  On paper, anyway.
The only other plausible explanation would be that the Sundance onces are trouble prone (which I doubt myself).
If you have to make numerous trips to the client with no reimbursement from Sundance- no doubt the profit is more than erased on one unecessary service call.  Pound foolish.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 08:49:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42