What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used my dishwasher for the first time!  (Read 7069 times)

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Used my dishwasher for the first time!
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:55:24 am »
I could not believe how clean the filters came out! They looked brand new!  After I took the Filters out I ran my dishwasher empty with detergent to make sure it was clean before putting my dishes in it.  Very easy!

Hot Tub Forum

Used my dishwasher for the first time!
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:55:24 am »

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Re: Used my dishwasher for the first time!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:21:45 am »
I've been using the dishwasher myself for a couple of years now to clean the filters and haven't experienced any problems either. Nor have we contracted any weird diseases!  :P

I have one suggestion and you may already be doing this. My dishwasher has an "energy saver" mode which means it doesn't include the drying cycle - just the wash and rinse. I have been using this mode on the filters because the very first time I used the dishwasher, I noticed some hairline cracks had developed at one end of the filters after I took them out of the dishwasher. And they were not there before I put them in. I have two sets of filters so the next time I washed the filters, I used the no dry mode and there were no cracks on that set of filters.

I think it will help your filters last longer if you can turn off the high heat drying mode in your dishwasher. Besides, it's not as if they really need to dry and you'll save a few cents in electricity!  ;)

Phl
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:40:28 am »
I've been using the dishwasher myself for a couple of years now to clean the filters and haven't experienced any problems either. Nor have we contracted any weird diseases!  :P

I have one suggestion and you may already be doing this. My dishwasher has an "energy saver" mode which means it doesn't include the drying cycle - just the wash and rinse. I have been using this mode on the filters because the very first time I used the dishwasher, I noticed some hairline cracks had developed at one end of the filters after I took them out of the dishwasher. And they were not there before I put them in. I have two sets of filters so the next time I washed the filters, I used the no dry mode and there were no cracks on that set of filters.

I think it will help your filters last longer if you can turn off the high heat drying mode in your dishwasher. Besides, it's not as if they really need to dry and you'll save a few cents in electricity!  ;)

Phl

I think my directions say not to use the dry cycle... so I took them out before it reached there... ( I couldn't find my energy saving mode...even though I know its there...somewhere! lol)

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:49:53 am »
The Tri-X filters are pretty sweet.  I just did mine last week in the dishwasher  8-)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 02:54:35 pm »
So Phil, you are washing your Marquis filters in the dish washer?
Did anyone tell you to do that or did you just experiment?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:34:18 am »
So Phil, you are washing your Marquis filters in the dish washer?
Did anyone tell you to do that or did you just experiment?
Hi Boni,
Yes, I have been cleaning my Marquis filters in the dishwasher during the winter.
No one told me to try it. On this site, I've read about people using their dishwasher to clean the filters and it made sense to me. So the first Fall and Winter after I bought my Marquis Reward, I started using it.
Normally, I would first soak the filters in a 5 gallon bucket with a solution of water and Simple Green, then a quick rinse in the tub and finally the dishwasher to make sure all the soap & scum was cleaned out.

During the summer, I would stick a 6' post into the ground, set the filter on it and rinse it off with a garden hose but that's always been a bit messy although it is quick.

I found this thread a couple months back. Doc uses plain water to clean them off and he's selling a filter cleaner he calls the "Filter Blaster". I liked the design and bought one. Like him, I'm lazy. This allowed me to turn on the hose and walk away until it its cleaned.
It works pretty well. What I mean by that is, it does remove all the debris, hair and whatever builds up in between the filter pleats. Jets of water spray up into the filter and the water pressure makes it revolve on its own to clean all the pleats. Makes 'em look good as new.
But you do have to keep an eye on it because sometimes the filter gets stuck and doesn't revolve.  Some minor tweaking by the engineers would fix this problem.
It does clean up the filters very well. I just can't use it during the winter when I have my outdoor faucet turned off. I'd have icicles on my filters and cleaner!

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

kokanee001

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 11:34:55 pm »
When you wash your filters in the DW, do you lay them down or stand them up? Or does it even make a difference? :-/

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 10:05:04 am »
Two of mine were up right and three were laying down... they all seemed to come out the same...so I am thinking it doesn't matter. ;)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:20:46 am »
With five filters to clean, it takes some fiddling to get them all in the dishwasher for one cycle.  Some on their sides, some upright.  I stop the cycle 1/2 way through and reverse the position of each filter to ensure a complete cleaning.  Works fine for me.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 05:32:54 pm »
You ppl are just GROSS! :P

Ever seen the CRUD that comes out of a filter? Then you go and put dishes, knives, forks and pots in there that you eat off of and stick in your mouth. Did I say GROSS yet? BLAHHHH!!!

The ONLY way I would ever suggest that is to run a cycle of bleach after the filters and before doing a load of dishes in it.

Glad I don't eat at your houses! ;)

Steve

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 07:24:48 pm »
Steve,

You have said this before, and I have to think you're funnin' us - right?

The crud which comes off the normal dishes isn't much different. If the machine didn't clean and then rinse the dishes for a normal cycle, it wouldn't be much good at all.

So - use the machine if you want, use the garden hose if you want.

If it really bothers you, just run the machine empty once before adding the next load of dishes, as was mentioned in this thread above.

Or - for Steve - you sure could run it empty with some bleach. I bet that would take care of any cross-contamination. And, don't most machines have a 'sanitize' cycle which heats the water up to 140 degrees or better? I would think that would take care of anything living after the filters are cleaned.

Oh- and one more question Tundra Walker: just exactly what goes into your spa to make you so concerned about what comes off the filter.

[size=12]Wait, I have decided that I don't want to know....[/size]

thanx

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 07:53:44 pm »
Chas...

I agree that waste food products gross me out a lot more than my properly chlorinated and sanitized dead skin cells, but that was the definition of "One Question Too Many".  I was also wondering what Steve may be doing with his tub, but I wasn't gonna ask it!

If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 08:22:06 pm »
you guys crack me up ;D

Steve.... hope you don't sleep on a matress... you should see the dead skin cells you are inhaling ...while you sleep... yum! and they haven't been chlorinated!  As I stated above I ran it again after.... do you realize how hot the dishwasher gets??? if it didn't.... it would be gross in general! the bacteria that would build just from food that sat!! Think about it.!

TheSpaExpert

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 12:53:41 am »
The average person will eat over 10,000 bugs and spiders during there sleep during there lifetime.  Putting filters in the diswasher is just about the same.
Use your heads!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 10:41:12 pm »
Spaexpert. Let me guess. I bet you live in Colorado.  :)
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 10:41:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42