What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Panels Popping On Hot Springs???  (Read 21156 times)

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Panels Popping On Hot Springs???
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:33:20 pm »
Today I was outside... walked by my hot tub and noticed that the bottom of one of my skirting panels had popped almost an inch out at a seam.  also some of the other seams were starting to come away but only an eight of an inch or so...  I called my dealer and they are sending someone out this week.  The Tech said that they were having a problem with a lot of the tubs because the wood had not been properly kiln dried??? and as the wood dries it bows..and makes the panels pop somewhat.  They said Watkins had approved a fix of recessed screw with a matching color putty to cover the screw... has anyone heard this... is it an okay fix??? Do I have to worry about any structural problems???

Hot Tub Forum

Panels Popping On Hot Springs???
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:33:20 pm »

Josh

Re: Panels Popping On Hot Springs???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 01:15:41 am »
Wow...that sucks.  I lost my last tub to critters getting in and chewing through the pipes....so hopefully you don't have that problem while it's sitting there open like that.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:40:55 pm »
I take it no one has actually heard of this problem? is my tech feeding me a line? :-[
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 10:50:40 am by AstaLaVista »

Josh

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:49:33 pm »
I take it no one has actually heard of this problem? is my tech feeding me a line? :-[

It's kind of surprising to me that all the people here who are so relentless about pimping the Hot Springs tubs aren't in here talking to you about your problem with the one you've just purchased.

Sorry to hear about your issue.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:09:31 pm »

Asta,

I drink the kool-aid, and always recommend Hot Spring without reservation, but let me tell you......If my new tub had a problem like you have, I would be on the war path.  I have never heard of any other Hot Spring tub with that problem. One of the nice things about HS tubs is that their sides are strong, tight and don't bow or split like "Lil Tyke tubs"  (ask Term for some pics)

If this problem was due to improperly kiln dried wood, then I would say "GET ME A TUB WITH PROPERLY DRIED WOOD.  I PAID A PREMIUM PRICE FOR THIS TUB AND EXPECT IT TO BE JUST AS GOOD AS EVERY OTHER HOT SPRING TUB COMING OFF THE LINE".  This is a long term investment you have made.  I, personally, would not allow a repair by adding screws and puddy where none has been used on any other similar tub.  I don't think you bought a "Factory Second", did you?

Given your description, and your dealer's explanation, it's a no brainer:  
-No thank you as to the repair.  
-Please replace my brand new tub with another.
Just my opinion.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 06:32:39 pm »

Asta,

I drink the kool-aid, and always recommend Hot Spring without reservation, but let me tell you......If my new tub had a problem like you have, I would be on the war path.  I have never heard of any other Hot Spring tub with that problem. One of the nice things about HS tubs is that their sides are strong, tight and don't bow or split like "Lil Tyke tubs"  (ask Term for some pics)

If this problem was due to improperly kiln dried wood, then I would say "GET ME A TUB WITH PROPERLY DRIED WOOD.  I PAID A PREMIUM PRICE FOR THIS TUB AND EXPECT IT TO BE JUST AS GOOD AS EVERY OTHER HOT SPRING TUB COMING OFF THE LINE".  This is a long term investment you have made.  I, personally, would not allow a repair by adding screws and puddy where none has been used on any other similar tub.  I don't think you bought a "Factory Second", did you?

Given your description, and your dealer's explanation, it's a no brainer:  
-No thank you as to the repair.  
-Please replace my brand new tub with another.
Just my opinion.
I'm not sure I understand completely what Vista is trying to describe but to me it sounds like it's just a defective skirt panel. Therefore I would not think that a whole spa replacement is needed. Just some new panels. Unless it has something to do with the actual structure/framing of the spa of course.

As far as re-drilling new holes and applying putty in the old ones, no way. I would not be happy with any thing less than new panels or if the existing ones can be repaired w/o rendering their appearence as new.

I'm sure no matter what this problem will be solved in a timely manner as there is a plethera(sp?) of HS people here that are capable of support if needed.

Atleast you can still enjoy a soak. :)

Chad

ps- Some pictures of this issue would be very helpful.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:39:20 pm by WHY_NOT »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:01:16 pm »
I'm not sure I understand completely what Vista is trying to describe but to me it sounds like it's just a defective skirt panel. Therefore I would not think that a whole spa replacement is needed. Just some new panels. Unless it has something to do with the actual structure/framing of the spa of course.

As far as re-drilling new holes and applying putty in the old ones, no way. I would not be happy with any thing less than new panels or if the existing ones can be repaired w/o rendering their appearence as new.

I'm sure no matter what this problem will be solved in a timely manner as there is a plethera(sp?) of HS people here that are capable of support if needed.

Chad

The problem is...HotSpring hasn't made a wood skirt panel in years.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 09:17:43 pm »
The skirt itself is fine.  its the wood underneath that has bowed outward..causing the panel to pull away from the other panel... making an opening towards the bottom.

I bought what the owner called a "DEMO" with full warranty... does that mean It is a second??? I am starting to feel a little screwed.. If I knew how to post pictures.. I would post a picture of the issue.

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 09:35:48 pm »
I have the exact same problem occuring on my tub on both sides for over a year now. My HS Vanguard is 2 years old. I haven't called the tech over yet because I'm waiting to see if this happens at the back of the spa.  It's lifting on 4 corners so far (2 on each side). It's the wood frame of the side panel that is warping outwards about 1 inch so far.  Also...to top things off...my inside touch panel has completely stopped working once again. This panel will be the 5th replacement in 2 years...under warranty of course.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:42:57 pm by Markus »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 09:36:37 pm »
The skirt itself is fine.  its the wood underneath that has bowed outward..causing the panel to pull away from the other panel... making an opening towards the bottom.

I bought what the owner called a "DEMO" with full warranty... does that mean It is a second??? I am starting to feel a little screwed.. If I knew how to post pictures.. I would post a picture of the issue.

I have never heard of a "factory second" HS tub.  The fact that it was a floor model (?) should not change the situation.  I would think this would be considered something more than a mere scratch or blemish.  FWIW, the skirt on my old Prodigy (which was real wood inside and out) had no gaps or cracks in it after 13 years.  I expect the same performance on my new tub.  

It sounds like this is a known problem caused by an acknowledged defect in the wood used for framing with this batch of tubs.  I'm confident HS will take care of it as long as they know you find the situation unacceptable.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 09:56:26 pm »
I don't know.. I am pretty bummed right now... I did email my dealer as well as Hot Springs to explain my concerns and disappointment.  I really didn't expect to be having this type of problem.  I paid the money I did to avoid this type of BS. :'(

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 09:59:29 pm »
I have the exact same problem occuring on my tub on both sides for over a year now. My HS Vanguard is 2 years old. I haven't called the tech over yet because I'm waiting to see if this happens at the back of the spa.  It's lifting on 4 corners so far (2 on each side). It's the wood frame of the side panel that is warping outwards about 1 inch so far.  Also...to top things off...my inside touch panel has completely stopped working once again. This panel will be the 5th replacement in 2 years...under warranty of course.
I can't believe you haven't called them to fix it yet! The day I saw it I would not have been able to sleep until I called... within two minutes I was on the phone. I have now documented the problem with pictures.  My question is ... Is this considered a Cosmetic issue...or will this effect the structure???   Either way I paid way too much money to have to live with it.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 10:01:03 pm »

Chad

Chad, How do I post a picture?  I took one of my issue..Would like some opinions on here.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 10:02:20 pm by AstaLaVista »

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 10:20:25 pm »
Actually, now is a good time to tell them about the warping issue since I'll be making an appointment for them to replace the inside controller panel.

Not only are the panel corners warped...one of the panels actually developed a crack/split right down the middle of it which progressively got worse over the last 8 months. The crack now runs from top to bottom for about 80% of the panel height.

This spa was purchased new... but gave me nothing but problems since day one! They've been out to my house 7 or 8 times for repairs so far in just 2 years.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:07 pm »
Actually, now is a good time to tell them about the warping issue since I'll be making an appointment for them to replace the inside controller panel.

Not only are the panel corners warped...one of the panels actually developed a crack/split right down the middle of it which progressively got worse over the last 8 months. The crack now runs from top to bottom for about 80% of the panel height.

This spa was purchased new... but gave me nothing but problems since day one! They've been out to my house 7 or 8 times for repairs so far in just 2 years.
OUCH!  I am starting to feel sick just thinking about it.!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42