What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Colemann Hot tubs  (Read 3825 times)

Scott

Colemann Hot tubs
« on: December 16, 2007, 01:16:08 pm »
I am thinking about going with the maax series tub and was curious as to why most other tubs run on 40-50 amps but the colemann requires 60 amps. I realize the wire size difference but don't understand why 60 versus the other tubs? Any help?

Scott

Hot Tub Forum

Colemann Hot tubs
« on: December 16, 2007, 01:16:08 pm »

loosenupspas

Re: Colemann Hot tubs
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 03:11:22 pm »
scott....high performance, M6 three two speed pumps, large heater, air massage....those are the principle reasons

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 03:25:09 pm »
I am thinking about going with the maax series tub and was curious as to why most other tubs run on 40-50 amps but the colemann requires 60 amps. I realize the wire size difference but don't understand why 60 versus the other tubs? Any help?

Scott

Most spas are right at the edge on that 50A spec and any extra current draw causes the need for a 60A service. If yours is 60A then it has a larger pump or an extra pump, etc.

Ask whoever is going to do your electric what the cost difference is between 50A and 60A hookups otherwise don't worry about this and let the wet testing be your guide.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 03:29:01 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 04:17:11 pm »
scott....high performance, M6 three two speed pumps, large heater, air massage....those are the principle reasons

With 3 pumps, large heater, air massage and needing 60 amp circuit, considered high performance does that mean less energy efficient?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 05:44:41 pm »

With 3 pumps, large heater, air massage and needing 60 amp circuit, considered high performance does that mean less energy efficient?

Dan,

That's a interesting question. I think when many think of energy efficiency they are referring to insulation and the cost of heating and losing heat in a spa. I think 3 pumps are more performance, whether or not its needed I guess is what a wet test would help one decide. I would hope most people would not compare 4 cyl car with a 6 or 8 and think it would be the same but it might be enough for them. Do you think when someone is looking at a spas operating cost they are thinking about insulating values or performance for me there is a difference in the two. Also does anyone know of any spa that can operate 3 full size motors and a heater all at the same time even on 60 amps. Most I believe still cut the heater when all 3 large pumps are operating on high speed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 05:48:32 pm by Mendocino101 »

loosenupspas

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 06:12:55 pm »
I will find out for you Scott, but that tub with its heater on probably will run 55 amps.  Heater turns off and amps drop dramatically.  The nice thing about that M6 is the Thermal Lock is beneficial as it runs wide open, all three pumps on full therapy mode and you are in the spa, the energy from the pumps is at their most intense, creating its own heat and radiating it back into the exposed plumbing.  Scott, it generates its own warmth and keeps the heater off, particularly when you are in the water.  Thus it is a very energy efficient unit to operate.  The internal cabinet heat in that M6 is 113+ degrees, when running full on.  It uses a blower too, the blower captures the cabinet heat too, as it isn't externally vented, so you won't experience temperature drop when using it, nice feature of Thermal Lock.  I am listening to Christmas Music, what a pleasant day.  Scott I will get you the amp readings.  I'd estimate here in Florida, M6 used frequently would cost 18 dollars per month,  may be a little more.  Scott consider the system, its engineering concepts.....you will be very happy in that tub.

loosenupspas

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 06:15:57 pm »
scott....one further item.......heater, pumps, blowers, lights, stereo, jet sequencers can run simultaneously with with any one thing turning off.  No doubt

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 06:26:10 pm »
My tub has 3 therapy pumps and runs on 50 amps. It turns off the heater when 3 pumps are on. I would think that a 60 amp tub keeps the heater on when the pumps are on.

As far as energy efficiency I would think that it depends on how many pumps you need for therapy.  When I was looking, some tubs were WOW! and others were HUH? .  There were tubs with diverters that couldn't supply the jets that were in the tub and I would think that mine would be anmemic if it only had 2 pumps. I remember going to a dealer who sells a highly respected brand and he showed me how the tub can have jets in one seat or the other seat or this seat here and when I asked to see all the seats with jets on he said it couldn't be done.

Energy efficiency comes from not needing all the pumps to use the tub. I only use 1 pump most of the time and only use a second pump when I want foot jets and the 3rd  pump whenever there are people sitting in a seat that they want the jets on. Pump 1 in my tub controls 2 seats, pump 2 controls 3 seats and pump 3 controls 1 seat and the foot jets.

But the thing about my tub is that it can provide a very good therapy to all the seats at the same time if needed ... some tubs can't.

Scott

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 07:21:04 pm »
Well thanks for the continuing help from you guys. I hope I can find the right tub as I can only dry test the one Maax locally as they had a melt down of their power but will continue my search. I have heard good things about this tub. Price quoted wasn't bad either but the wet test will sure seal the deal or break it. Once again thaks for all your feedback. :-/
Scott

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 07:34:21 pm »
Well thanks for the continuing help from you guys. I hope I can find the right tub as I can only dry test the one Maax locally as they had a melt down of their power but will continue my search. I have heard good things about this tub. Price quoted wasn't bad either but the wet test will sure seal the deal or break it. Once again thaks for all your feedback. :-/
Scott

Coleman seems to have some happy owners here but you really want to wet test that spa to make sure its right for you. While they are straightening out their power issue at the dealer look around at what else is out there so you can wet test your favorite 3 or 4 spas for comparision purposes. Don't get caught up in HP, # of pumps, special names for their insualtion method, etc. Look for quality, a good dealer and great wet test results.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 07:38:03 pm »
Scott

Coleman seems to have some happy owners on this site but tell the dealer you'll be back when you can wet test. If you haven’t already done so take the time to see what else might be out there as a backup plan. Base you final decision on the wet test and your confidence in the dealer and don't get caught up in things like horsepower, # of pumps or what fancy name they have for their insulation method.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 09:31:34 pm »

Dan,

That's a interesting question. I think when many think of energy efficiency they are referring to insulation and the cost of heating and losing heat in a spa. I think 3 pumps are more performance, whether or not its needed I guess is what a wet test would help one decide. I would hope most people would not compare 4 cyl car with a 6 or 8 and think it would be the same but it might be enough for them. Do you think when someone is looking at a spas operating cost they are thinking about insulating values or performance for me there is a difference in the two. .

I think most spa shoppers are looking for spas that are high performance (think Hummer) that are energy efficient (think Prius).  I think they either get sold that that is what they are getting or educated about the reality of spa engineering.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 09:31:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42