What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Another warped shell  (Read 8790 times)

Helios

Another warped shell
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:30:24 am »
It's time to see how Coast Spas handles their warrenties. The shell on my Coast Helios is warped.

I saw steam coming out from under the corners of the tub and icicles hanging from the corners of the cover. After Northwoodsdipper's thread, I decided to check my hot tub and here's what I found.

The district manager for my dealer looked at it today and tried to tell me that if I straped the corners of the cover down, it would be ok. I told him that my brother is a mould maker by profession and that I was a mechanic with aot of knowledge/experience with engineering. At this point, he seemed to realized the standard fluff won't work on me.

The district manager finally said that he would forward my complaint letter and pictures to the head of Coast's warrenty department in BC.

If they don't take care of me, I may have to get Term's friend out.
“Stupidity is not a crime…so you’re free to go”

Hot Tub Forum

Another warped shell
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:30:24 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Another warped shell
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:38:21 am »
I am curious - do you think the shell has changed shape since the day it was delivered, or was it just made this way?

The reason I ask is simply that if the tub is made this way, the replacement may very well be the same.

I suppose you could go to the dealer with a straightedge in hand and look at a similar model.

Hope it comes out ok.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

clover

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:55:49 am »
I can see the issue you are concerned with and I understand why you're getting icecles.  

What I also see is that your spa is recessed into the deck.  Any decision regarding the spa could require replacement, but it will obviously be hindered by removal.  Have you made any provisions for the removal of the spa from it's setting (open on one side to slide out).

First, let's see what Coast comes up with, replace or not.  Assuming they would replace it, how would you remove the spa and install the new one, and who would be responsible for those expenses, you or Coast?  (You, I think)  IF a manufacturer replaces a spa, it does not mean that they will pay freight, delivery or removal of the spa.  

Just a heads up, but, I would list and consider all remedy options available and their related expenses to you.  A simple fix (such as a space filler, or strapping the cover down, bending the cover foam) may be an inexpensive solution where replacement may come at you with some $ signs.  
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Helios

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 12:00:55 pm »
I am curious - do you think the shell has changed shape since the day it was delivered, or was it just made this way?

The reason I ask is simply that if the tub is made this way, the replacement may very well be the same.

I suppose you could go to the dealer with a straightedge in hand and look at a similar model.

Hope it comes out ok.

I think it was like that from day 1. Each corner varies from 5/16" ~ 5/8". I only noticed because of the steam leaking out and Northwoodsdipper's thread.

When looking at the underside of the cover, you can see that their are no marks on the corners of the cover where it would touch/seal to the corners of the tub.

A friend has the same Coast tub without the lounger and his is dead level.

I checked my concrete pad and it's level on all 4 sides and there are no cracks around the parimeter of the pad. (There goes the first excuse that the dealer gave me via phone).

8-)
[/color]
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:32:11 pm by greg_bbs »

Helios

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 12:31:13 pm »
I can see the issue you are concerned with and I understand why you're getting icecles.  

What I also see is that your spa is recessed into the deck.  Any decision regarding the spa could require replacement, but it will obviously be hindered by removal.  Have you made any provisions for the removal of the spa from it's setting (open on one side to slide out).

First, let's see what Coast comes up with, replace or not.  Assuming they would replace it, how would you remove the spa and install the new one, and who would be responsible for those expenses, you or Coast?  (You, I think)  IF a manufacturer replaces a spa, it does not mean that they will pay freight, delivery or removal of the spa.  

Just a heads up, but, I would list and consider all remedy options available and their related expenses to you.  A simple fix (such as a space filler, or strapping the cover down, bending the cover foam) may be an inexpensive solution where replacement may come at you with some $ signs.  

My arguement is that it was defective from day 1 (my proof is that the the underside of the cover does not have marks in the corners where it should be touching/sealing to the corners of the tub). Ultimately, they have not fulfilled their end of the contract by delivering a non-defective tub. Under Ontario Consumer laws, they would have to replace the tub free of charge (including delivery/installation but not my time to take the front off the deck) or refund the purchase price.

Almost all stated warrenties have a clause something like "your state or province may give you additional rights not stated in this warrenty". Most provinces and I believe states have consumer laws that give you added protection that the manufactures don't want you to know about so of course they don't state them in their warrenties. It's their way of trying to deter claims and save money.

I expect an uphill battle but the bottom line is they delivered a defective tub and did not fulfill the sales contract. There is only 1 Coast dealer in my town; a little pressure of threats and bad publicity can go a long way to help them decide to do the right thing.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »
Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

You say your friend has the same spa, without the lounger? Then it's a DIFFERENT spa, made in a different mold. I don't believe I've ever seen a spa "warp" in the way it's being suspected yours is, and am more prone to thinking the mold the shell was made in isn't flat. I could imagine that if this is the case, the manufacturer may claim that your spa is not having a warranty problem, that's the way it was made.

I had a manufacturer legally deny a warranty claim made by me many years ago, saying that in fact the problem was not a manufacturing defect (which would have been covered under warranty) but was actually a "design defect", which was NOT covered by warranty............ they went out of business shortly there after  ;D

Just to play devils advocate, and maybe give you something to think about for compiling some ammo........ If their mold isn't flat and ALL of this model of spa are coming out this way...... If you looked at one before buying, and it too had this same drop on the corner , well, you bought exactly what was shown to you..... I doubt it says anywhere that you'd be getting a spa with a perfectly flat top-edge and the cover would seal perfectly to it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:53:19 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Helios

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:22:33 pm »
Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

You say your friend has the same spa, without the lounger? Then it's a DIFFERENT spa, made in a different mold. I don't believe I've ever seen a spa "warp" in the way it's being suspected yours is, and am more prone to thinking the mold the shell was made in isn't flat. I could imagine that if this is the case, the manufacturer may claim that your spa is not having a warranty problem, that's the way it was made.

I had a manufacturer legally deny a warranty claim made by me many years ago, saying that in fact the problem was not a manufacturing defect (which would have been covered under warranty) but was actually a "design defect", which was NOT covered by warranty............ they went out of business shortly there after  ;D

Just to play devils advocate, and maybe give you something to think about for compiling some ammo........ If their mold isn't flat and ALL of this model of spa are coming out this way...... If you looked at one before buying, and it too had this same drop on the corner , well, you bought exactly what was shown to you..... I doubt it says anywhere that you'd be getting a spa with a perfectly flat top-edge and the cover would seal perfectly to it.

Very valid points to consider. My arguement is:
1. because the cover is flat, the tub should be flat.
2. the salesmen told me it's the same tub with and without lounger; the only difference is the lounger. (I understand they would have to use different moulds)
3. Like a car, if the window or convertable top does not seal, it is fixed under warrenty. (I know comparing hot tubs and cars is like apples and oranges but they are both manufactured consumer products)
4. the floor model "Helios" I looked at has been sold and I am positive it was flat   ;D (I doubt they would go to that customer and say we need to use your spa to prove that we have a design flaw in this model)

Dr. Spa, I appreciate you suggesting what their arguements might be; the above would likely be my responce to them if and when they make such a claim.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 01:24:45 pm by greg_bbs »

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:15:52 pm »
I would think either way... if it is the mold...and it turns out to be a design defect... I would be singing ...class action suit!!!!  you know anyone with a Helios...would be jumping on board when the realize that theirs is not level either.  ::)

loosenupspas

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 02:24:48 pm »
Is foundation underneath the tub flat?  My contracts state that you will provide a continuously level surface.  If there is a dip in the concrete the frame of the spa would settle low and the shell would probably follow that dip.  You might want to take a look at the foundation.  

MarKee

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:18:52 pm »
It's not the mold.  The spa is sagging in the corners from lack of structural support in that area.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 03:53:35 pm »
It's not the mold.  The spa is sagging in the corners from lack of structural support in that area.

Hmmm, that's quite an internet diagnosis......
It is amazing what can be done over a high speed connection nowadays!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Robby

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:49:56 pm »
I THINK YOUR SCREWED.  YOU CAN'T FIX THAT.  ITS NEW TUB TIME.  WHAT ARE THE CHACES THAT YOU WOULD GET A NEW TUB?  GOOD LUCK!

Pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 04:55:47 pm »
The question I will pose is have you ever used the wind straps on that side of the tub??
If you haven't  in some instances you will not get an absolute air tight seal. The coast rim is curved and your cover is straight. Right from the get go it is not a perfect fit. The straps will mold the cover to the top of the rim. Now that its cold out, the cover becomes more rigid and will not form properly thus creating that little gap.   Now it may very well be a defect but 9/10 its the non use of straps to mold the cover that is the issue.

Now a spa wont sag if the corner is unstable it will crack and come apart if its that extreme.

In Canada eh

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 05:34:12 pm »
I don't believe I've ever seen a spa "warp" in the way it's being suspected yours is, and am more prone to thinking the mold the shell was made in isn't flat.

Doc,

I don't think its the mold, CNC mills just do not cut surfaces in a "bow" shape unless programed to do so.

A lot of warping and bowing can occur in a spa shell or any other molded part during its cooling time however, the structural support of the tub under the shell should be rigid enough to take the bow out of the shell.  Since you say that your pad is level (which also would have been my first guess) I have to agree with Markee, that the structural support under the tub is the cause of your problems
Bullfrog 451

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 07:15:17 pm »
I know we can't diagnose this without seeing it, but if it does turn out to be structural support - or lack thereof - allowing the corners to droop, then it might be possible to shore them up and perhaps even jack them back up.

I sure wouldn't want to be the one to do that jacking, but if the dealer does it under the guidance of the factory, they are on the hook to be sure it could work.

This will be interesting to follow - please keep us updated if you would be so kind.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 07:15:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42