What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Interesting observation ...  (Read 4927 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Interesting observation ...
« on: December 08, 2007, 04:06:49 pm »
Well after about a month and a half of "new water" I had an interesting observation today.

I normally get 2 to 3 days tops of clear water in the spa before it turns to a mess unless I shock heavily with dichlor. I have been running this water without adding calcium to see if it foams more, installed the spa frog and running ozone 24/7. I haven't used the tub much since changing the water.

About 3 weeks ago, my water got away from me and opened the tub to cloudy water after about 4 days. Today, I opened the tub to clear water after about 4 days as well ... the difference being a spa blanket and more time for the frog to be in the water adding silver to the water.  I guess the spa blanket kept the ozone from off gassing and the frog's silver is treating the water.

I still put chlorine into the tub as to not push my luck but it was a definite improvement over the last time I went 4 days. Of course 1 time is not actual proof that it is working.

Hot Tub Forum

Interesting observation ...
« on: December 08, 2007, 04:06:49 pm »

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Re: Interesting observation ...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 04:14:04 pm »
Funny you should mention that... I started using my spa blanket last week after a similar situation.... today when I took the blanket off the hot tub I could not believe how nice my water was! It looked like I had just filled it... I figured it was from the ozone not being able to gas off as well.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 08:27:30 pm »
Vinny, I just came back from vacation for 10 days. My Envoy water was crystal clear--like always. I'm running the HS Freshwater N2/Ozone system. I usually add dichlor every few days just to be safe when I'm home. I've never had problems with cloudy water unless it's + 4 months old. Take care....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 06:39:43 am »
I find your observations to be consistant with my experiences.  Silver coupled with ozone can keep water in good shape for extended times between soaks.  I can't comment on the blanket as I am a new blanket user but it does seem to hold the heat better.  I also found that neither silver nor ozone work as well without the other.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:07:26 am »

I've been thinkin about getin a spa blanket for awhile now b/c I think it'll help maximize the life of my cover. These new findings are even more encouragement for me to finally buy one. I do have a few questions if ya'll don't mind though-

How big of a deal is it to take the spa blanket off and put it back on? Where do you put it when soaking? Do they freeze up when taken out of the tub with sub freezing ambient temps? And does it get mangled up during programmed filter cycles that utilize one of the main pumps on low speed?
The reason I'm asking is b/c I can see them being quite the PITA especially during the winter.

Thanks,

Chad
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 07:17:15 am by WHY_NOT »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 08:01:29 am »
I've been thinkin about getin a spa blanket for awhile now b/c I think it'll help maximize the life of my cover. These new findings are even more encouragement for me to finally buy one. I do have a few questions if ya'll don't mind though-

How big of a deal is it to take the spa blanket off and put it back on? Where do you put it when soaking? Do they freeze up when taken out of the tub with sub freezing ambient temps? And does it get mangled up during programmed filter cycles that utilize one of the main pumps on low speed?
The reason I'm asking is b/c I can see them being quite the PITA especially during the winter.

Thanks,

Chad

Its less of a pain than I had expected.  I flip my cover to open the front half, then pull the front half of the blanket over that.  I then use the lifter (Covermate 1) to finish removing the cover and blanket together.  A little bit of blanket adjustment and good to go.  The blanket sort of mimics what the cover does.  It gets a little stiff when freezing but its not an issue at all.  I have had no problem with water movement during filter cycles or with pumps on.  I do have the heavier foam type and feel I would have some of these problems with the bubble type.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 08:28:40 am »

Its less of a pain than I had expected.  I flip my cover to open the front half, then pull the front half of the blanket over that.  I then use the lifter (Covermate 1) to finish removing the cover and blanket together.  A little bit of blanket adjustment and good to go.  The blanket sort of mimics what the cover does.  It gets a little stiff when freezing but its not an issue at all.  I have had no problem with water movement during filter cycles or with pumps on.  I do have the heavier foam type and feel I would have some of these problems with the bubble type.
Ok, great.
Good idea about flipping it up onto the cover.
If I may ask, where did you get your blanket from and about how much was it?

Thanks again Tony,

Chad

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 10:01:18 am »
I believe that the spa blanket does work and is worth the extra effort. I have notivced that my water does retain the heat better than without. I have posted either here or at Doc's that my water without the blanket was always either 1º beow setpoint or 1º below setpoint with the heter running almost every time I opened the cover. With the blanket it's either at setpoint or 1º above every time I open the cover. It even stops the water from evaporating.

The first blanket I got from Doc and I used the cover leash he sells - it made it SO EASY. Just flip up the cover and the blanket came with it. It was a little of a pain to cut it to size and the wife complained when it dripped freezing water down but it certainly did the job.

This blanket I thought I would try to economize a little and didn't buy it from Doc. It was about $20 cheaper but it is much thinner, wouldn't stand up to the blanket leash IMO, seems to work pretty good and I have yet to cut it down. I think since it's "locked in" with the cover it's not going anywhere. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to soak in a few weeks so I can't comment about the pain. I did soak once and crumpled it up on a chair next to the tub. Interesting it was advertized as 1/8" and Doc's is 1/4" and I didn't think it was going to be a big deal ... but it is.

The ONLY thing I was disappointed in was the length of time the original blanket lasted - I only got 2 years of use out of it before it self destructed. It went from being normal to ripping apart in a few weeks around the 2 year old mark. I'm thinking that this cover may not last that long because of it's thinness.

As far as this observation, this is the first time I coupled the frog with 24 hour ozone. As my ozone unit is a UV unit and approaching 3 YO (But I never really ran it 24/7) it is approaching the end of it's useful life and I would think that the blanket is helping what little ozone that it is producing in the water. I didn't run the ozonator last year with the frog 24/7 so that may be the difference.

I would suggest getting the blanket regardless how good your cover is. I think it keeps the water warmer by stopping the convection currents under the cover and les face it a cover doesn't seal 100% and ant cold air that gets in will cool any water. On the positive side - the blanket crumpled and not my cover, it stops evaporation and since it seems that my water is retaining heat better than without then if my heater kicks on less than without it then I'm saving money. Hopefully enough to pay for a blanket, hopefully more!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 07:54:37 am »
Ok, great.
Good idea about flipping it up onto the cover.
If I may ask, where did you get your blanket from and about how much was it?

Thanks again Tony,

Chad

My blanket came from rhtubs.com.  I purchased a new cover lifter and the blanket was added in for free.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 08:36:56 am »
Thanks Tony. I found the link.
http://www.rhtubs.com/store/float.htm#therm

The closed cell foam blankets are almost 3 times the price of the bubble ones. I'm seriously considering ordering one but I'm unsure as to which one is a better investment.

Doc, with your expertise in this field, will you please explain to me the pros and cons of each and how much each one raises the R value.

Thanks,

Chad

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 02:09:57 pm »
Thanks Tony. I found the link.
http://www.rhtubs.com/store/float.htm#therm

The closed cell foam blankets are almost 3 times the price of the bubble ones. I'm seriously considering ordering one but I'm unsure as to which one is a better investment.

Doc, with your expertise in this field, will you please explain to me the pros and cons of each and how much each one raises the R value.

Thanks,

Chad

I'm in the same position as Chad.  Ready to order one, but trying to reconcile the substantial difference in price.  $23 vs. $80 for an 8ft blanket.    
-I understand that the foam blanket will insulate better, but will it last longer too?  
-I'm reading the expected life of these blanket to be about 2 years tops.  That makes quite a price difference over the average life of a cover (+/- 5yrs??)

Thanks, Rich
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:10:47 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 03:23:52 pm »
Hey Vinny

I am still amazed that you can only go a few days before your water goes south. We had batted this situation around last year a bit when I reported my Tiger river could go 7-10 days with out a problem. I think we were trying  document some of the nuiances of 03.

Now with my Geneva, it's even longer.  My new job has me flat out straight and I can say I 've haven't soaked for 2 weeks, and I opened it up tp find crystal clear, fresh smelling water.

What gives?  I don't have a spa blanket,  I refuse to use the Magic Voodoo beads of silver and run ozone 24/7 with a post soak dichlor routine.  

07 Caldera Geneva

TubsAndCues

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 07:23:53 pm »
We sell the bubble style covers for $20 (8' x 8' sheet).  

From what I've heard from my customers, they last a little over a year.  

IMHO, buy the bubble style.  I haven't heard anyone getting much over 2 years out of them myself.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 08:15:07 pm »
Hey Vinny

I am still amazed that you can only go a few days before your water goes south. We had batted this situation around last year a bit when I reported my Tiger river could go 7-10 days with out a problem. I think we were trying  document some of the nuiances of 03.

Now with my Geneva, it's even longer.  My new job has me flat out straight and I can say I 've haven't soaked for 2 weeks, and I opened it up tp find crystal clear, fresh smelling water.

What gives?  I don't have a spa blanket,  I refuse to use the Magic Voodoo beads of silver and run ozone 24/7 with a post soak dichlor routine.  

I think it's 2 things ... the composition of the water even though it is all H20 and possibly the ozonator. I have a UV one and it produces low ozone. I am going to try a higher output ozonator and see if it makes a difference.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 08:15:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42