What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ice Build Up  (Read 4371 times)

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Ice Build Up
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:29:41 am »
After months of waiting excitedly for the snow I have noticed that it also brings the dreaded ice.  I have ice every where around the hot tub.... what started as a shoveled out area with a little bit of snow left has turned into an ice arena due to getting in and out of the tub.  Even my wooden steps now have some ice on them.  

The question is.. how have you guys dealt with it? Can you use salt to melt the ice...or does that end up getting tracked into the hot tub? I would hate to mess up my water chemistry by tracking something in. However, I don't want anyone breaking their neck in the back yard!

Hot Tub Forum

Ice Build Up
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:29:41 am »

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
Re: Ice Build Up
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:35:59 am »
We bought some of that outdoor runner carpet at Home Depot, and it goes from the door to the steps.  (It's on a roll, and they cut it to your specific length)  Then we cut some to fit the steps so we don't fall.  Works great so far, and we've had to deal with snow AND ice recently.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:45:29 am »
It's possible that the ice melter chemical could get carried into your spa, but it would probably be just trace amounts.  I'd be more concerned about the affect of salt on the wooden surfaces over time.  but having a slippery icy approach to your spa is potentially dangerous.
Brewman

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 08:28:13 am »
We bought some of that outdoor runner carpet at Home Depot, and it goes from the door to the steps.  (It's on a roll, and they cut it to your specific length)  Then we cut some to fit the steps so we don't fall.  Works great so far, and we've had to deal with snow AND ice recently.

That sounds like a pretty good idea.. what do you do roll it up when there is a storm coming?

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 08:29:27 am »
It's possible that the ice melter chemical could get carried into your spa, but it would probably be just trace amounts.  I'd be more concerned about the affect of salt on the wooden surfaces over time.  but having a slippery icy approach to your spa is potentially dangerous.

Yes, I would be concerned about the affect of salt on my wooden stairs over time... however I am more concerned about the affects of my a$$ hitting the conrete!  ;)

Tonyf

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:15:34 pm »
Our steps are grooved plastic steps that came with the tub and the ice sweeps right off.

We bought some slip on flip flops for us and for guests at a sporting good store for $5.88 that have a more sticky rubber sole. When we looked at slip on's I ran my hand on the sole, if it slipped easily, it was not good for our use, if it slip very slowly on my hand or not at all, it was good to buy. I also bought a pair of tie boots at Walmart that I slip on for use in cleaning off the spa or getting it ready to use.

We tried a runner rug in the past, putting it out each time we used the tub, but it was more bother than it was worth. We still use the runner for company though and put it by the fireplace to dry after we roll it up.

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 12:52:28 am »
The ice melt chemical is probably calcium chloride, the same use when adding calcium to the tub.  It will dry out the wood.
"Growing older but not up..."

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 05:15:08 am »
These work great!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 02:23:29 pm »
You might consider removing those before going in the spa.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 02:23:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42