What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Removing "Under-Tub" Umbrella Base  (Read 3734 times)

RayF-1

Removing "Under-Tub" Umbrella Base
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:16:53 pm »
Snow and 25 degrees outside and I've got a large-volume diverter valve leaking into the tub from around the upper ring.  No visual evidence of leak into pump chambers.  Seems like I should be able to get in there and tighten things up.

Here's the problem.  I've got a umbrella stand of the type with the base bracket under the tub.  Right now, with tub full, it doesn't budge when I tug on it.  I've got to remove the umbrella stand to be able slip off the side panel to get access to the area where the valve is located.

If I drain the tub (fully or in part) to be able to remove the umbrella stand, I'll need to refill it fully to determine the source of the valve leak, how to best fix it, and if it's truly fixed when I think I'm done.   Drain/refill is not something I really want to do in below freezing temps .. unless there is no other option.

Q:  How far under the tub do those bases go?   Anybody jerked one out from under a full (or partial full) tub?  How?  (I'm thinking about a tractor pull in my back yard!)

Merry Christmas, tubbers!

RAY in NoVA          

Hot Tub Forum

Removing "Under-Tub" Umbrella Base
« on: December 05, 2007, 07:16:53 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Removing "Under-Tub" Umbrella Base
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 08:34:41 pm »
It goes about 8" to 10" under the spa.. and no way will you be able to pull it out with the spa full of water
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clover

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 08:54:19 am »
Snow and 25 degrees outside and I've got a large-volume diverter valve leaking into the tub from around the upper ring.  No visual evidence of leak into pump chambers.  Seems like I should be able to get in there and tighten things up.

RAY in NoVA          
Ray, what kind of tub do you have?  Did you examine the inside "throat" of the divert valve to identify the leak source.  Very doubtful IT IS NOT SOMETHING THAT NEEDS TO BE TIGHTENED.  Do you see the water coming from the base of the valve at the acrylic into the tub?  Is it a Sundance?

There may be a simple fix, otherwise it will be open heart surgery, and considering the temperature, we woulddn't like to have to work on it either, but it's not going to go away.  how long has it been leaking?
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

RayF-1

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:12:36 pm »
Thanks, guys.  I'm draining tomorrow, pulling unbrella base, then refilling and removing side(s).

Doc .. you're the pro, thanks for the counsel before I hooked up my tractor.

Tub's an 04 Master LSX (first problem since new).  Diverter valve is leaking into tub -- I've seen no evidence of external (or internal) leaks as well as no water loss in tub.

RAY

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 04:12:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42