What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa remote temperature sensor  (Read 4309 times)

Tonyf

Spa remote temperature sensor
« on: December 05, 2007, 05:31:28 pm »
I could have ended up with a major problem with our spa freezing ( 15 degrees outside).

In a prior string, I asked about installing a temperature sensor or an led on the power so I could check the spa from inside the house in case the ground faulty breaker tripped on my Caldera C-45 (similar to a Geneva)

I opted to go with the Oregon Scientific Weather Forecaster model BAR122HGLA with a waterproof senor modelTHC268 ( for $60) and am greatful that I did buy and stall it. If I had an LED for the power, I would not have known there was a problem as the pwoer did not go off.

We haven't been in the spa for two days and I happened to check the temperature this afternoon and it was 92 degrees. I looked at the control panel and there was power to the spa, but the display panel showed dashed lines. I tried to start the pumps and nothing happened. I called the dealer and they said to turn off the breaker for a few minutes so the spa could rest itself. When I turned it back on, (we do not have a circulating pump) I started the low speed pump. It ran for 15 seconds and stopped. I pushed the button again and it went back on and then I ran it on high speed and ran the other pump on high speed. I then tried low speed only and it stayed on.  I am getting it back up to temperature now and hope the problem does not repeat itself.

What would cause the spa to do this? If we were away for a few days, we could have ended up with frozen pipes.
Tony
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 05:38:21 pm by Tonyf »

Hot Tub Forum

Spa remote temperature sensor
« on: December 05, 2007, 05:31:28 pm »

Tonyf

Re: Spa remote temperature sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »
Looked at the owners manual and it says this condition may be the result of the temperature limit switch or water flow through the heater. It suggested cleaning the filter. The filter is about two weeks old and I cleaned it last week. The manual suggests contacting a technician if the problem persists. Hopefully the gremlin has disappeared, but I am fearful that it may come back.
Tony

Honorable

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 08:02:25 pm »
Looked at the owners manual and it says this condition may be the result of the temperature limit switch or water flow through the heater. It suggested cleaning the filter. The filter is about two weeks old and I cleaned it last week. The manual suggests contacting a technician if the problem persists. Hopefully the gremlin has disappeared, but I am fearful that it may come back.
Tony

Quick question about the filter.  Did you buy the same brand of filter (same part number, etc) that came with the tub, or did you get a generic?  Some times the pleat count can be a little off (if its a generic brand) causing a restriction in water flow.  

Running the spa without a filter... for a short period of time would also help to eliminate that as the source of the problem (if it works - replace/clean filter), if it fails again - possible equipment malfunction (thermister, etc)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:03:54 pm by MrMagoo »

Tonyf

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 09:15:33 pm »
The spare filter I just bought to use for rotation of filters is a Caldera filter however, it fits a little tighter at the base than the original that I just got with my spa (one month old spa) and it may be one the dealer had in stock for awhile and the one thjat came with the spa may be a newer pleated material.
Tony

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 09:10:38 am »
Question out of curousity.... How come the Caldera website does not show a C-45 model? is it too new for the site?

Tonyf

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:05:59 pm »
The problem with my spa turned out to be a faulty spa light circuit and the dealer had an immediate fix. Quality dealer service and spa.

My understanding is that the C series of Caldera Spas are produced as a special item for dealers that wish to carry them. They have a few less items included which reduces the p[rice by about $1,200. For example, there is no 24 hour circulating pump, no external cabinet lights, no light on the waterfall feature, two less jets, and a different control panel due to the cir. pump. Other than that, they look the same and have the same warranty. THEY DO INCLUDE a Monarch Ozonator and the underwater spa light does change colors or can stay at one color. Such a deal!!

My previous Calspa 15 ywears ago never had a 24 hour pump and it didn't seem to make any different.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:05:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42