What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Using a metal sequesterer and mineral cartridge  (Read 3696 times)

tinybubbles

Using a metal sequesterer and mineral cartridge
« on: December 03, 2007, 04:47:12 pm »
When I first filled my new tub I used metal gone.  At that time, I was not using a mineral cartridge, but I am now.  So, when I drain and refill my spa, what is going to happen?  You need the silver in the water to kill germs, but won't the metal sequesterer get rid of it?

Hot Tub Forum

Using a metal sequesterer and mineral cartridge
« on: December 03, 2007, 04:47:12 pm »

Lars

Re: Using a metal sequesterer and mineral cartridg
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 04:49:20 pm »
Yep.

You need to wait 48 hrs after adding the Metal Gone before putting the silver cartridge in.

I always pull mine when adding the Defender stuff too.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 04:51:05 pm »
Hey I didn't think of that..I use the metal gone too...and just put in a $26.00 mineral cartridge.  I did wait until the water circulated overnight before I added the cartridge, but I am wondering too...if all of the metal gone is not used by copper or iron or whatever in the water, does it remove the helpful minerals in the cartridges?  

This is a REAL good question!!!! ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 06:26:20 pm »
Wow.. never thought of that... I am shoveling chemicals in that are nixing each other out. :-/

tinybubbles

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:50:23 am »
I hadn't thought about pulling it out when adding defender.  Geez, this is all too much to think about.  Those cartridges are too expensive to have them rendered useless.  I'll try the 48 hour approach.  I wish I knew more about how the metal gone worked; if it stays in the water or only works for a short time.

tinybubbles

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:02:54 am »
Good news.  I went to N2's website(which is the brand mineral cartridge I use).  The owner's manual actually has a section where it lists possible water problems and remedies.  They list adding a sequestrant as a solution to several problems.  I guess that means I'm ok.  I don't know if all mineral cartridges are the same.  Hope this helps.

loosenupspas

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 11:35:31 am »
hey you can call the N2 folks and they will call you back.  without much research....here is my thought, N2 purifies water on contact with the silver iodine, so it isn't saturating the water, like a bromine or a metal.  I am looking at the N2 manual in the troubleshooting section and in the area covering stains and scale it says to add sequestrant.  If that helps...good luck warmly....Tom

Lars

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 12:10:28 pm »
I'm using Vision, which is about the same thing.  It specifically says remove cartridge when using sequestrant.

Eh, only takes a second to fish the thing out, and at $90 a pop, I'm going to do it.  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 12:10:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42