What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vinegar to clean filters?  (Read 14992 times)

txwillie

Re: Vinegar to clean filters?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 01:40:02 pm »
What does a bottle of filter cleaner cost, anyway?  It's not like vinegar is going to save all that much money.  But if it makes you happy, it's your spa, so do whatever you like.  But I can pretty much guess it won't work any better than filter cleaner (possibly not as good), and it probalby won't be all that much cheaper.

I have used filter cleaners B4. I never thought they did much of anything to actually clean the filter, plus I could never get it all out/off and that resulted in foamy water. I devised a fitting that I would use to back wash the filters after using the cleaner. I would rinse, soak, backwash, over and over, usually spending 15-20 minutes on each and dozens of gallons of water, maybe hundreds. The result? Foam in the tub. Vinegar is used in many industrial applications to descale and degrease all sorts of things, so I thought it might be just as good as filter cleaner. IMO it certainly could be no worse than filter cleaner. Would it save a couple of cents? Maybe but that's not the point. I'm gonna try it. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. If it does, I might let ya'll know, but then again I might let ya'll continue to to foam your tubs....

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 01:40:02 pm »

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 01:48:15 pm »
Good luck with the testing.   :)     I think I may also give it a try. I'll let you know if it works.  ;)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 02:01:12 pm »
FWIW, I use filter cleaner and never get foam.

Soak filter in filter cleaner, remove, rinse with medium pressure nozzle on a garden hose, fill up bath tub, submerge and remove filter repeatedly in a timely manner a few times, and put back in spa. No foam. Reuse the same 5 gallon bucket of water and filter cleaner 2,3,4... times.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:17:54 pm by WHY_NOT »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 10:34:47 am »
I'll be interested to see your results.  
 I don't have any foaming problems when I clean my filters.  And I'm not the most thorough rinser, either.  Just a few minutes with the nozzle of my garden hose or in the laundry tub if it's winter.  

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 10:34:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42