What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vinegar to clean filters?  (Read 14993 times)

txwillie

Vinegar to clean filters?
« on: December 01, 2007, 04:39:58 pm »
Anybody tried this? I have a Sundance with the Micro-clean filter that you don't clean, but replace at 6-9 months. I changed the filter that came with the spa @ 9 months, second water change. This morning, I go out and the spa is @ 98F and has FLO message. Unscrew the filter, and circ pump flow (visible at the waterfalls) goes from trickle to normal, so the filter is clogged. Head up to the dealer. He says Sundance is having "issues" with the micro-clean filters and says use a standard filter until the "new and improved" version is out. He gives me a new Micro-clean gratis as he is out of stock on the paper filters.

If I decide to use the  standard filter do you think cleaning it with vinegar is a good idea? Vinegar is really good at dissolving oils and calcium scale, so I thought it might be a good (and cheap) alternative to the filter cleaners. I hate filter cleaners as I could never get all of it out and foamed the tub.

txwillie
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 04:42:18 pm by txwillie »

Hot Tub Forum

Vinegar to clean filters?
« on: December 01, 2007, 04:39:58 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Vinegar to clean filters?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:57:22 pm »
Where do you get 5 gallons of vinegar?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 05:46:02 pm »
I'd be afraid of what my water would smell like after that. :-?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 05:46:19 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 05:54:29 pm »
A little salt, a few spices, you could pickle yourself.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 06:01:06 pm »
A little salt, a few spices, you could pickle yourself.

LOL - That's funny.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

kokanee001

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 06:54:42 pm »
I used to use vinegar in my RV water tank to give it a fresh clean smell. Let it slosh around for a couple of days, flush it out, and fill 'er up w/fresh clean water. Always tasted nice, never vinegary.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 06:58:53 pm »

The big box stores.    If you do this, i would think you will want to rinse them with water a lot afterwards, vinegar could drive the PH way down.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

txwillie

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 11:16:51 am »

do you use 5 gallons of filter cleaner? I'd think not.

The big box stores.    If you do this, i would think you will want to rinse them with water a lot afterwards, vinegar could drive the PH way down.

filter cleaners are very acidic, probably more so than vinegar. I don't see any difference here. As for the smell. vinegar washes out of just about anything very easily. I just have found that vinegar works better as a general purpose cleaner than most all of the bottled cleaners.

txwillie

Micah

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 11:29:43 am »

filter cleaners are very acidic, probably more so than vinegar. I don't see any difference here. As for the smell. vinegar washes out of just about anything very easily. I just have found that vinegar works better as a general purpose cleaner than most all of the bottled cleaners.

txwillie

You just need to be honest about it.  You want to use vinegar to save a buck, not because it works better.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 11:32:32 am by Micah »
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Cyn

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:48:54 am »

You just need to be honest about it.  You want to use vinegar to save a buck, not because it works better.

You would never know from some of the posts lately that this is supposed to be a group of people that have learned the joys of relaxation using a hot tub!

And actually, if you have had the chance to to do some cleaning lately, you might find that vinegar is better than most bottled cleaners and it is relatively non-toxic at the diluted level used for cleaning.   ;)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 11:51:59 am »

White vinigar is a weak acid and will work as a pH down product.  As a matter of fact, Pacific Sands recommends white vinigar over other products to lower pH (maybe to keep in its "all natural" approach).

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 11:58:09 am »
What a great idea for cleaning the filter!
I use a lot of vinegar, to clean with, also. I never thought of using it to clean the filter.
Any thoughts on the vinegar to water ratio? I would think full strength would be to much. Maybe 50/50?

txwillie

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 12:05:11 pm »

That is one of the very most insightful comments I have ever heard. Didn't I see you on that psychic challenge show? Yes, I think I need to save $2 a month on filter cleaner after dropping OVER 20 GRAND of the tub, deck and stone work... Jeeze.... filter cleaners suck and I think it might be a good alternative.

txwillie
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 12:06:44 pm by txwillie »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 01:10:07 pm »
What does a bottle of filter cleaner cost, anyway?  It's not like vinegar is going to save all that much money.  But if it makes you happy, it's your spa, so do whatever you like.  But I can pretty much guess it won't work any better than filter cleaner (possibly not as good), and it probalby won't be all that much cheaper.

Brewman

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 01:31:52 pm »
Brewman....
For me it would not be the cost  :)
Vinegar is a cleaning product I use a lot for cleaning around the house. Many folks here suggest NOT buying some spa products to change the pH. They suggest using common grocery store items over buying expensive dealer products i.e.Baking Soda
So, why be snarky with the resonable question as to using vinegar to clean your filters?  :o

I would like to know if it may work. It would be ONE LESS thing I'd have to buy because I already have the item in my home.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 01:31:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42