What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: My Water Looks "dull"  (Read 6231 times)

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
My Water Looks "dull"
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:59:38 am »
My water is a week and a half old.  There has been a moderate bather load( I think ) After each use I have put dichlor in till I get a reading between 3-5ppm. And shock with MPS once a week. When testing my water last night my TA and PH along with all else was just right.  Last night when I put my cover back it looked a little hazy.  I shocked it last night with Dichlor... after the 20min. I checked the FAC it was at 5ppm.  This morning my water is clear... but the only way to discribe it is dull.... what gives??  My filters are brand new... the water couldn't have that much soap in it already.. and I do use enzyme weekly.  I have the Fresh water III package in my HS.  Any ideas what the problem could be? :-/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:23:30 pm by AstaLaVista »

Hot Tub Forum

My Water Looks "dull"
« on: November 29, 2007, 08:59:38 am »

Cyn

Re: My Water Looks "dull"
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 09:36:41 am »
What is your CC reading?  And you mentioned 'shocking' your water with dichlor and having a reading of 5ppm.  This is not shocking.  Shocking, I believe, is when your FC reaches 10 times your CC reading.  Or using apporixmately 7 times your usual dose of dichlor.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 12:12:36 pm »
Okay.. I guess my bad... I used an ounce of Dichlor ( that is what dealership said I should use to shock with Dichlor ) So it isn't the amount so much as how high of a PPM your getting?

birdman

• Jacuzzi J-365
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:04:39 pm »
I would think an ounce (2 tbl spoons) would bring your FC much higher than 5 - probably more in the line of 10 ppm FC. Maybe another shock would be in order.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:16:53 pm »
Thats what I was thinking.. when I get home from "work" tonight I will shock it again to see if I get a better reading.

birdman

• Jacuzzi J-365
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 01:30:04 pm »
Also, how are you testing - Taylor type kit, or test strip. I use Taylor kit, I hear old test strips can give bad readings.

solo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 01:40:57 pm »
But does a dull look really mean anything?  I don't know myself.  

So long as I have santized water that maintains a balanced water chemistry, I don't really worry about how crisp or dull the water looks.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 01:44:12 pm »
I like crystal clear crisp water... that the lights dance off of at night... I don't want to feel like I am sitting in a washing machine with murky water... even if it is clean murky water... lol I guess it is a personal opinion... but true solo.. I shouldn't loose too much sleep over it... other wise I could miss out on all the stress relief the tub gives me. lol

Birdman I am using test strips .. but they are brand new.. don't know if that makes a difference.

birdman

• Jacuzzi J-365
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 01:54:09 pm »
I would spring for a Taylor test kit for the increased accuracy. Not sure if the strips have an experation date, but could have sat on the shelf awhile - the same is true for the re-agents in the Taylor kit - they will degrade over time as well.

I'm like you, i think the water should be crystal clear, especially being that new.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:16:59 pm »
My water is a week and a half old.  There has been a moderate bather load( I think ) After each use I have put dichlor in till I get a reading between 3-5ppm. And shock with MPS once a week. When testing my water last night my TA and PH along with all else was just right.  Last night when I put my cover back it looked a little hazy.  I shocked it last night with Dichlor... after the 20min. I checked the FAC it was at 5ppm.  This morning my water is clear... but the only way to discribe it is dull.... what gives??  My filters are brand new... the water couldn't have that much soap in it already.. and I do use enzyme weekly.  I have the Fresh water III package in my HS.  Any ideas what the problem could be? :-/

OK, this happens to me sometimes...when your water looks dull (not cloudy) and sanitizer and/or filtering just doesn't seem to get it crystal clear......add 2 oz of clarifier.  I use Leisure Time Bright and Clear but any good spa clarifier will do.

I am not an advocate of using clarifiers on a regular basis or even when water is cloudy because that generally means more sanitizer is needed, but this is exactly the situation where clarifiers work wonders.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 03:29:51 pm »
I was told that use of a clarifier with Silver Ion creates Cloudy water?? That is the only reason why I have avoided it.

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 03:39:36 pm »
 I use a clarifier once in awhile and it keeps it clean.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 03:40:20 pm »
I was told that use of a clarifier with Silver Ion creates Cloudy water?? That is the only reason why I have avoided it.

I've never had an issue and I used both popular silver cartridges for years.  Leisure Time sells a mineral cartridge and include their clarifier in their weekly maintenance routine.  Overuse of clarifiers can cause cloudy water with or without the minerals.  I don't personally believe in using clarifiers regualarly...but your situation is ideal for the use.  If you're nervous about using it with the silver, take the cartridge out for a couple of days after you add clarifier.

solo

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 07:47:43 pm »
Funny you mention this.  I just used clarifier for the first time today.  I don't mind the water looking dull, but when you are going to show your new hot tub off to family (like I am doing this wekeend), you do want the water to look crisp.

So I added some clarifier today.  At first, the water got a little cloudy.  But after an hour or so of filtration, it looked crisp and clean.  I won't make a habit of using it.  In fact, I bummed the clarifier from a neighbor of mine and don't own any.  

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 11:32:46 am »
I shocked it one more time last night... and this AM my water looked crisp and clean.  I do have a bottle of clarifier... and in the future may try that as well.  I was under the impression I couldn't... thank you for the help

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 11:32:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42