What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why is my Water Green  (Read 7867 times)

Dazed and confused

Why is my Water Green
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:34 pm »
I've had my spa for one month and have already drained it once. It's a Marquis and about 350 gallons. After the first 1 1/2 weeks the water started turning a slight shade of green. I took a water sample to my local dealer (didn't buy the spa from him) and he told me to shock the spa and do this, that and the other thing. A few days later my strips said the water was ideal on in all the readings but the water still had a slight greenish tint so I drained the spa, (nice and cold out with a bit of frozen rain just to make it perfect) called my dealer who had me do some PH down (maybe it was up) and what ever. Anyway, by 9:30 the chemical levels were perfect and the wife and I were soaking in crystal clear water.  One week later, after about 3 uses, the green came back. This last tuesday I set the bromine level on my Spa Frog to 6 to see if the green would go away...all that happened is my bormine is through the roof and the green is still there. This morning I realized that the Spa Frog is GREEN....could this contraption be causing the greenish tint????

Hot Tub Forum

Why is my Water Green
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:34 pm »

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Re: Why is my Water Green
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:23:12 pm »
Could it be metal in your water oxidizing?  You know like the bluish green some people get around their drain in the tub?? Do you use Metal Gon?

TubsAndCues

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 02:03:34 pm »
Your total alkalinity is probably a bit on the low side.  I don't know why this occurs, but I've seen it happen plenty of times in my own tub and tubs on my show room floor when I use bromine.  

Clear water with a tint of green/yellow is almost always the indicator of low TA.  Sometimes it doesn't even have to be off by much, but it can happen.

9/10 times this is the case I've seen.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 03:46:19 pm »
We have seen green tinted water (looks like kool aid) associated with ozone.  If you want, when you have nontinted water, unplug ozonator (if you have one) and see if it stays away.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Josh

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 04:04:09 pm »
I had this problem once.....then I figured out my neighbor was using it while I was gone.  ;)

;D

TubsAndCues

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 05:04:19 pm »
I had this problem once.....then I figured out my neighbor was using it while I was gone.  ;)

;D

If it smelled like sausage gravy or bacon I bet your neighbor brought his girlfriend with him!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 05:04:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42