What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The simplicity of a hot tub  (Read 7447 times)

solo

The simplicity of a hot tub
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:33:50 am »
One thing that suprised me a tad when shopping for a tub is that computers don't seem to have become mainstream in hot tubs, at least not in the sense that I would imagine.  I envision tubs with an interactive control panel.  Programmable settings, alerts and reminders that pop up, something that resembles "windows" on your PC. Possibly have a tub that czan hook into your wireless netwrok and email you reminders of when it is time to change the water, filters, alerts about low chemical levels that it self monitors.    

Now, water and electronics are a bad combo and maybe this is just one more thing that could go wrong.  But does anyone envision the future of hot tubs morphing more with your home PC?  

Hot Tub Forum

The simplicity of a hot tub
« on: November 27, 2007, 06:33:50 am »

104 degrees

Re: The simplicity of a hot tub
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 06:59:31 am »
Now, water and electronics are a bad combo and maybe this is just one more thing that could go wrong.  But does anyone envision the future of hot tubs morphing more with your home PC?  [/quote]

Something like On star. i have onstar and it emails me once a month . it lets me know when to change the oil.

What you want sounds expensive and people only spend a short time there and the steam would cover the screen if thats what you talking about.

i like the wireless stereo that hot springs has.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:42:15 am »
Never looked into them but I think there are some wireless remote things that can provide spa temp and provide some control of the spa functions from indoors. Probably could easily build something that was more extensive to provide reminders for cleaning but it is most likely a cost issue. Only a few people would likely be interested for paying for something like that and it seems like the mark up on spa accessories is typically even more than the mark up on spa's themselves.

Spa stereos are generally a pretty good indicator of that. Perhaps it costs a little more to add a stereo to a spa but can't possibly be as much as they charge for them. And that is mostly why my spa doesn't have one. Turns out I don't miss it either. Even though I have outdoor speakers over my spa I rarely use them, prefering the sounds of silence.

Or more realistically the chatter of squirrels and the bark of the neighbors dogs...

In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

solo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:49:27 am »
I wasn't clamoring for these features.  Just wondering if anyone envisioned the industry heading that way.  

For me, the simpler the better.  I don't need the bells and whistles.  Too many people buy stuff that they never use to it's fullest already.  How many people have these high powered computers at home simply to send emails and surf the net?  Or to write documents?  

I prefer to buy what I need, no need for fancy options so long as it is good quality.  That's probably why the spa industry has remained low tech.  You just don't need all that.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 12:18:11 pm »
I wasn't clamoring for these features.  Just wondering if anyone envisioned the industry heading that way.  

For me, the simpler the better.  I don't need the bells and whistles.  Too many people buy stuff that they never use to it's fullest already.  How many people have these high powered computers at home simply to send emails and surf the net?  Or to write documents?  

I prefer to buy what I need, no need for fancy options so long as it is good quality.  That's probably why the spa industry has remained low tech.  You just don't need all that.  

I seem to think that the majority of people "need" more features and complicated items in their lives.

Simple is definately better. Even in hot tubs the old thermostats and dials were probably more robust than electronic controllers. Do I like the fact that my controller tells me how hot the water is - you bet. Is it going to be more costly when it goes - you bet.

I have a GPS that is not a major name - it gets beaten up by reviewers because t doesn't have blue tooth, MP3 payers or picture viewer. The thing cost me $149 and it does get me from Point A to Point B. I don't need or want MP 3 player, blue tooth or picture viewer in a GPS, what I do need is it to capture satillites and guide me to where I want to go ... isn't that the primary function?

I repair medical electronics, people are buying more sophisticated equipment all of which are run by a chip or computer. When the power spikes or they get a brownout the equipment just sits there ... it glitches out. We get calls and tell them to turn the unit off, wait 30 seconds and turn it on - "does it work? YEP" Modern technology is so great!

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:37:59 pm »
The most interactive system for hot tubs I have seen is the remote for Hot Spring.  It has two way communication but is limited to actual functions.  It is uses a RF signal, so line of sight is not necessary.

The pool industry has a system from Pentair that is very interactive.  You can control your entire pool, backyard, house from their Intellitouch system.  It is way cool, but is way expensive.  You can get a tablet that connects to the internet so you can control your pool from work, the car, etc.  

I think when we are already at around  $9-10K for a high end spa, another $3K would take a system like that out of the realm of reality.  It could be done, just too expensive at this time.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 02:17:18 pm »
Vanguard-  Do you know how much the remotes go for? or is it something that is only available when factory ordered... meaning are all HS spas remote ready??  What exactly is the capabilities of the remote?

Lars

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 02:39:27 pm »
One thing that suprised me a tad when shopping for a tub is that computers don't seem to have become mainstream in hot tubs, at least not in the sense that I would imagine.  I envision tubs with an interactive control panel.  Programmable settings, alerts and reminders that pop up, something that resembles "windows" on your PC. Possibly have a tub that czan hook into your wireless netwrok and email you reminders of when it is time to change the water, filters, alerts about low chemical levels that it self monitors.    

Now, water and electronics are a bad combo and maybe this is just one more thing that could go wrong.  But does anyone envision the future of hot tubs morphing more with your home PC?  

As others have noted, gets pricy in a hurry.

Just a chlorine monitoring setup is going to run around $2000.

http://www.pulseinstruments.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3427

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 04:43:50 pm »
The higher level Balboa and Gecko control packs & pads actually offer ph & chlorine warnings as well as filter change notices. There would be many years of testing new boards to withstand all of the elements to run all of these little things.  I would be up to the board manufacturers  to invest money and time.

Doobiewah

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 08:10:07 pm »
Vanguard-  Do you know how much the remotes go for? or is it something that is only available when factory ordered... meaning are all HS spas remote ready??  What exactly is the capabilities of the remote?

Asta,

We just bought an 07 Vanguard.  We were told that it was 'remote ready' and the remote was $500 list.  I got the impression from the dealer that most, if not all, HS, were remote ready.  The owner used it to turn on the spa-dio and showed us you can monitor temp with it, also turning it up or down remotely, and she said it worked on the jets and lights, too.  She said we could add it at any time with no mods required.

HTH

The Doob
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 08:10:49 pm by Doobiewah »

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 08:20:22 pm »
Very tempting.... that would be a nice thing to be able to control from the house..... should I say Merry Christmas to me and buy it??? Maybe I can sweet talk my salesman  :-*

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 09:02:09 pm »
My 05 Epic has the indoor spa monitor that can tell me the spa mode and temperature,  it can change the temperature, turn the lights on and off, turn on the jets and it has an alarm system to let me know if there was a power interuption that could allow my tub to freeze. It also will alert me if there is an interuption between the spa and the monitoring system. It conveys the message from the control panel that my sanitizer (bromine cartridge) needs to be replaced or that it is time to clean/change my filters.  It also keeps the time from the tub when my kids go in. I make them turn on the timer so that they only soak for 15 minutes. I can check from inside of the house how long they have been soaking.
I love the spa monitor and the functions that keep track of my maintence....
My Spa monitor was actually a Christmas gift from my sister and her family! :)
I believe it is now standard on some Marquis models.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 09:07:07 pm »
Wow Bonibelle.... sounds like it does everything for you but the dishes!  I need to get one of those!! But I do want mine to do the dishes too...lol ;D Very good Christmas gift....Kudos to your sister!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 09:22:33 pm »
And it comes with a year's supply of paper plates  ;D ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vanguard

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 10:14:37 pm »

MSRP on the remote is $499.  You should be able to pick one up for less than that - especially since you bought the spa.  I have seen them go for as low as $399.

It will work every function of the spa and any other accessory you have added such as SpAudio, SpAudioCast, Auto Fresh, etc.

All Hot Spring, Tiger River, Hot Spot and Solana Spas are "Remote Ready."  

The Hot Spring and Tiger River date back to around 2004 and the Hot Spot and Solanas started to have the capability either in '06 or '07.  I can't remember for sure the dates.  Your dealer should be able to tell you.

It is very easy to install, so you could ask your dealer for a discount if you want to install it yourself.  You just have to remove the front panel, take the cover off the IQ2020 box, add a little jumper hub thingy (your dealer will know what it is), then plug in the remote receiver/transmitter.  Hang the receiver up somewhere in the equipment box and put everything back together.  Takes 10-15 minutes tops.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 10:14:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42