What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cleaning filters in winter  (Read 11327 times)

birdman

• Jacuzzi J-365
cleaning filters in winter
« on: November 25, 2007, 09:35:43 am »
Hi all, great forum. I was wanting to see how the folks in the north clean off their filters in the winter since the outside water will be shutoff. I was thinking about using a self serve car wash (the ones with the high pressure wands) and use the rinse setting. Other ideas?   Thanks      

Hot Tub Forum

cleaning filters in winter
« on: November 25, 2007, 09:35:43 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: cleaning filters in winter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:05:56 am »
I just wait for a day above freezing and rinse with garden hose as usual. My outside waterline isn't/doesn't shut off. I only rinse mine off once a month at most, so it's not difficult for me to find a couple days here or there throughout the winter to clean them. Heck, my last fill was 4 1/2 months and I only rinsed my filters once. For some reason they just don't get dirty. Well, I think it's b/c I'm pretty much the only bather and I shower before 90% of my soaks.

Good idea about using the carwash.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:49:49 am »
I would think a high pressure car wash wand might be too much for a pleated filter.  I use two sets of filters so I am cleaning one while the other is in use on a monthly basis.  Within the next two weeks I will do my next water change which should last me till early April.  I will insert my clean filter and right away clean and store the other.  I will change filters at the two month mark in early February with a sink rinse in between if needed.  Next water change in April I will clean one the night before and the other right after.  I have never been able to do a good mid winter filter cleaning and be able to get all the soaps out so this has worked for me for the last couple of winters.      

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 01:51:01 pm »
HotSpring Tri-X filters - simply throw them in the dishwasher.  No need to worry about what the temp is outside  8-)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 07:07:55 pm »
HotSpring Tri-X filters - simply throw them in the dishwasher.  No need to worry about what the temp is outside  8-)

Giddy-up huge selling point for me! ;)

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 09:32:44 am »
If you're up north, wear a heavy coat that repels water!! ;D ;D

In the south, we just wait for an 80 degree day, put on some shorts and go outside in the sun to clean our filters.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:33:02 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 09:45:42 am »
If you're up north, wear a heavy coat that repels water!! ;D ;D

In the south, we just wait for an 80 degree day, put on some shorts and go outside in the sun to clean our filters.

Yes, but we in the north also get to enjoy the snow...sitting in the hot tub... it doesn't get better than that!!  :P

Brothersean

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 09:48:27 am »
Hey Tony,

I know this is off topic but do you like the new filtration system from Sundance?

And... how long do your filters last with your cleaning interval? And... How much did you pay for your spare filter. Our local dealer has them for $99.00. WT....? Are their any more affordable resources?

My wife and I are probably going to buy a Sundance Cameo soon because she really likes the lounge seat. I do too ;D.

Thanks.....Sean

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 10:05:05 am »
I bring my filters inside and rinse them in the laundry room sink- it's plenty large to hold the filter.  
I won't turn on my outside water between now and spring unless I really need to.  Draining the lines is an annoyance I'd like to avoid.
Brewman

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 10:10:40 am »

I do my filters in my sink and use the sprayer to rinse.  Then I clean the sink with clorox.  Works great for me, and I'm not out in the cold.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 10:21:18 am »
Hey Tony,

I know this is off topic but do you like the new filtration system from Sundance?

And... how long do your filters last with your cleaning interval? And... How much did you pay for your spare filter. Our local dealer has them for $99.00. WT....? Are their any more affordable resources?

My wife and I are probably going to buy a Sundance Cameo soon because she really likes the lounge seat. I do too ;D.

Thanks.....Sean

What I like about the new filtration system from Sundance is that if you like the disposable, you can use it...if you don't, they offer a regular pleated filter.  You can't clean the disposable so you don't need a spare like you would with the pleated.  I have an older spa so I have no experience with the Micro Clean II, but the disposables filter down to five microns compared to twenty microns for pleated.  I like how they've separated their filtration and therapy and gone to the high flow circ pump which filters an awful lot of water in a day.  I believe the pleated filters would do a fine job keeping the water clean and I would probably go that route vs the disposable.  I have the Micro Clean I on my spa so my pleated fitler is smaller and I have the little disposable that goes on the end of it and is just for the small low flow circ pump.  My dealer sells my pleated filters for around $60.00 each and I get about three years between the two I swap out.  I don't know how much they charge for filters for your spa.  I don't know of any other resources for the disposables, but the pleated filters are available.  One advantage of the disposable filters...you don't have to clean them during the winter. ;)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 12:20:30 pm »
Hi all, great forum. I was wanting to see how the folks in the north clean off their filters in the winter since the outside water will be shutoff. I was thinking about using a self serve car wash (the ones with the high pressure wands) and use the rinse setting. Other ideas?   Thanks      

Im in New England and Ihere's what I do:  

I keep an extra,  clean filter on hand that I swap out when it's time to change the filter.

I let the dirty filter soak 24 hours in a 5 gal on bucket of filter clean solution  that I have mixed up (I reuse the filter clean solution several times).  

After the filter gets a good  soaking, I rinse it off  off in the shower stall using a hand held shower head. I am able to get decent water pressure off the shower head (it's one of those adjustable, masaging hand held types) and get the filter very clean and compeltey rinsed out.

I do this all in the extra bathroom, so I can let the filter drip dry. once dry,  I put it away to rotate back into the hot tub when it's time to clean the filter again.

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 12:33:30 pm »
Im in New England and Ihere's what I do:  
 :)

Hello Neighbor! What part of New England??  I am in So. Maine.  Can't wait for snow!  You must be loving your Geneva!  I have used my sister's more than once... Love it!!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 02:57:48 pm »
It's about freakin time you checked in drewstar.  Good to see you.

Brewman

In Canada eh

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 05:37:58 pm »
Birdman,

Get yourself about a 4 foot piece of garden hose and barbed garden hose fittings from your local Home Depot (about 6 bucks ) and wash your filters in the laundry tub.  That's how I do it and it works great, I just leave the hose in a bucket in the laundry room for the winter
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 05:37:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42