What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Clorox instead of Dichlor?  (Read 9550 times)

solo

Clorox instead of Dichlor?
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:37:54 pm »
A watwer chemistry expert at another forum reccomends switching from dichlor to Clorox after the first month or so on dichlor for every fill.  

I saw another person post in ths forum that they do this.  Advantages? Disadvantages?  Does anyone else here do this?  

Hot Tub Forum

Clorox instead of Dichlor?
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:37:54 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Clorox instead of Dichlor?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 09:00:38 pm »
You're probably refering to chemgeek and yes you can use bleach.

You need to get your CYA to 20 to 30 PPM. The only problem is that it is much easier to measure powder than liquid especially when it's 10º outside. If I remember correctly 0.634 oz of 6% chlorine will raise a 100 gallon tub 3 PPM. Adding more isn't a big deal but adding less is.

Bleach is relatively inexpensive but if you splash any on clothes then kiss them goodby.

The ONLY benefit of using bleach vs dichlor is that at 30 PPM CYA chlorine will still have a big effect on the hot tub rash bacteria where as the CYA goes up chlorine gets less effective.

104 degrees

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 05:57:17 am »
A watwer chemistry expert at another forum reccomends switching from dichlor to Clorox after the first month or so on dichlor for every fill.  

I saw another person post in ths forum that they do this.  Advantages? Disadvantages?  Does anyone else here do this?  

Its 3.3oz to raise a 400 gallon tub 4ppm. i have done it and my PH went up to where i would need to add ph reducer. the water felt dry i dont know how else to put it.

I have gone back to Dihlor because i think my rash or the two spots where i got a rash is because of the scent that we are using.

I am alergic to some sopes so i'm thinking that s what it is. i will know more soon.

I think if you treat your tub the correct way, dump the tub every three months you will be fine.

Its also very easy to measure the bleach when its cold out. just do it indoors ;D with a mesuring glass.

Hows the tub solo :) :) :) i like thoses Jacuzzi's :) :) :)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 06:31:20 am »
There's a reason why dichlor and bromine are the most popular sanitizers for spas. They're safe and easy to use. You(all of us) spent alot of money on our spas. Why take the risk of using an unwarranted sanitizer in your spa?
Don't forget everyone, if you splash a little of that bleach on your shell and don't wipe it off immediately, you're gonna have a polka dot patterned shell.
Good luck keeping your pH in check too.  

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 08:33:52 am »
My Warranty clearly states that any use of an unapproved sanitizer will void all warranties!.  Bleach was one that was clearly listed as causing damage to the shell.  I picked my tub partly because of the great warranty so I certainly won't do anything to void that !

solo

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 09:11:08 am »

Its 3.3oz to raise a 400 gallon tub 4ppm. i have done it and my PH went up to where i would need to add ph reducer. the water felt dry i dont know how else to put it.

I have gone back to Dihlor because i think my rash or the two spots where i got a rash is because of the scent that we are using.

I am alergic to some sopes so i'm thinking that s what it is. i will know more soon.

I think if you treat your tub the correct way, dump the tub every three months you will be fine.

Its also very easy to measure the bleach when its cold out. just do it indoors ;D with a mesuring glass.

Hows the tub solo :) :) :) i like thoses Jacuzzi's :) :) :)

I'm really enjoying the tub so far.  I soak daily.  Sometimes for just 10 minutes and other times for 30-40 minutes.  It definitely helps with my aches and pains.  Looking forward to soaking when it gets colder.  I have also become a fan of the 104 degree setting.  

104 degrees

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 09:12:10 am »
   I have also become a fan of the 104 degree setting.  
[/quote]

Me too ;D ;D ;D

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 09:29:09 am »
Wow.... I don't know how you guys do it!! 102 is my limit...and if I have it there... I can only stay in for about 15-20 minutes.. then I am too hot... usually 100* is perfect for me!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 09:45:54 am »
You're probably refering to chemgeek and yes you can use bleach.

You need to get your CYA to 20 to 30 PPM. The only problem is that it is much easier to measure powder than liquid especially when it's 10º outside. If I remember correctly 0.634 oz of 6% chlorine will raise a 100 gallon tub 3 PPM. Adding more isn't a big deal but adding less is.

Bleach is relatively inexpensive but if you splash any on clothes then kiss them goodby.

The ONLY benefit of using bleach vs dichlor is that at 30 PPM CYA chlorine will still have a big effect on the hot tub rash bacteria where as the CYA goes up chlorine gets less effective.

As long as you understand the effects of CYA on chlorine and adjust for it, dichlor works fine.  It is also very important to change your water at three to four months max if you use dichlor as CYA stays with the water.

I use bleach here and there but not regularly.  I am not nervous about using it because I use a combination of liquid chlorine with trichlor in my pool and I am pretty much on top of my water chemistry.  As Vinny stated, it is not the most user friendly product to add.  This is the main reason why I don't use it a lot, though I am thinking about trying it regularly after my next water change.

104 degrees

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 09:49:07 am »

though I am thinking about trying it regularly after my next water change.

Your PH will rise up alot everytime you add the bleach.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 09:55:04 am »

Your PH will rise up alot everytime you add the bleach.

Not really in the small soaking doses.  When I've used it in the past, it hasn't been an issue.  I'ld like to see what regular use does over a period of time.  Just an experiment as adding a liquid every time will be, I believe, a PITA.

104 degrees

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:00:48 am »

Not really in the small soaking doses.  When I've used it in the past, it hasn't been an issue.  I'ld like to see what regular use does over a period of time.  Just an experiment as adding a liquid every time will be, I believe, a PITA.

I found it easy to use.just get a big cup to use. i was adding three onces a day and each time i did i needed to reduce the ph. it went to the high side each time. the water felt dry not like before.i did this for a week now i'm back on the Dichlor.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 10:26:40 am »

I found it easy to use.just get a big cup to use. i was adding three onces a day and each time i did i needed to reduce the ph. it went to the high side each time. the water felt dry not like before.i did this for a week now i'm back on the Dichlor.

Good info.  I'm going to try it for about a month and see what happens.  I prefer adding baking soda to dry acid to adjust my pH so if it keeps rising I will abandon quickly.  I don't think I would use it permanantly but I want to see what happens.

104 degrees

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 11:03:09 am »

Good info.  I'm going to try it for about a month and see what happens.  I prefer adding baking soda to dry acid to adjust my pH so if it keeps rising I will abandon quickly.  I don't think I would use it permanantly but I want to see what happens.

The water felt dry but clean. it was like the wet was taken out of the water :-?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 11:03:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42