What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Brown Film  (Read 7599 times)

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Brown Film
« on: November 23, 2007, 01:44:47 pm »
When my water is new I get a brown film at my water line.  I was told that this is the iron in my water.  I just filled my tub on Sunday.  I put a bottle of Metal Gone in my water ( per directions ) I still get the brown residue after use.  I notice that this only happens when my water is brand new... over time the residue no longer forms.  I use stain and scale inhibitor.. I also use enzyme. Not to mention I have one of the floating scum bugs  Am I missing something?? It comes right off with one of the tub mitts when washed... but I don't like it at all... sort of grosses me out.. however my water is perfect.. crystal clear... all readings are right on.  any thoughts?  :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Brown Film
« on: November 23, 2007, 01:44:47 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Brown Film
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 02:34:22 pm »
From the time you put the Metal Gon in, how long is it till you ad  an oxidizer (chlorine or bromine)????
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 02:42:18 pm »
The Metal Gon was put in while filling the tub... because of the directions.  After the tub was up and running I adjusted TA and PH, then shocked it.  So it was shocked same day as Metal Gon.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 03:45:54 pm »
The metal gon typically needs 24 hours to completely do it's thing. If you add an oxidizer before then, you can still oxidize any metals in the water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

loosenupspas

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 04:19:11 pm »
Also consider rinsing off your filter...... sometimes helps

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 06:53:37 pm »
I don't know... it has been a week... with brown film... how much oxidizing does it need to do?? With 500 Gallons of water should I have used more Metal gon?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 10:35:58 am »
You're not using Baqua Spa by any chance, are you?  That sounds exactly like our experince when we were using it.  Brown scumline, which scrubbed off, and gradually stopped forming after a few weeks.  We never used any metal control.
Brewman

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 04:32:37 pm »
Nope, no Baqua Spa.  I am using Nature 3.. Ozone, Silver Ion Dichlor, and MPS once a week.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 09:51:49 pm »
Nope, no Baqua Spa.  I am using Nature 3.. Ozone, Silver Ion Dichlor, and MPS once a week.

Asta -
We are on the same system.  I get the same brown, slimy deposit along the water line right after a water change.  My tub dealer tells me that it is iron from my well water.  I make sure that I REMOVE as much as possible from the tub.  After one or two times its gone for good.  Baking soda on a sponge is good for this.  I have noticed that I don't have as much of a problem with the goo since I began using all softened water (and adding calcium up).

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 09:04:46 am »
Rich- My water is now a week old... and I am no longer getting the brown line... This fill up was the first time I used Metal Gon.... so I just assumed that meant I would not have the problem.... I guess not! I fill up with my well water... which is very soft... I have to add a whole bottle (32oz) of water hardener!

As for the Baking soda.. how does that effect TA and PH?  I have been using a tub mitt to scrub the line... but I am thinking something to help would be nice!

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 10:23:58 am »
Rich- My water is now a week old... and I am no longer getting the brown line... This fill up was the first time I used Metal Gon.... so I just assumed that meant I would not have the problem.... I guess not! I fill up with my well water... which is very soft... I have to add a whole bottle (32oz) of water hardener!

As for the Baking soda.. how does that effect TA and PH?  I have been using a tub mitt to scrub the line... but I am thinking something to help would be nice!

Since you are no longer getting the brown line, that tells me that the MetalGon did its job.  You might want to spray out your filters now that your water has stablized.  I also have to use about 3/4 of the bottle of calcium increaser to get my water hardness up, but I think it's better to use the treated water on the fill.  I've got some nasty water coming out of my well as far as rust and minerals.  Since I use the 'high iron' salt in the system, I think softening the water makes some of the iron/rust drop out too.

As for the baking soda, using it on a sponge to clean the waterline doesn't put enough in the tub to make much of a difference in my experience.

Otherwise, it sounds like your up and running.  Git in that tub and enjoy it!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 10:26:39 am by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

TubsAndCues

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:24:44 am »

If it is a metal stain on the tub, baking soda isn't the answer.  Baking soda is the same chemical compound (although a different grade) as total alkalinity increaser.

What you want to use is pH decreaser in an old gym sock  and rub on the stain.  If it is a metal stain, it should come off with out too much scrubbing.  basically what is happening is you are pulling the metal off the surface of your tub and putting it back into the solution of water.  Be careful though, as the metals may fall out of solution again and restain your tub.  Use things like Metal Gone or Stain and Scale to prevent that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 10:24:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42