What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Looking for tub purchase advice - please help!  (Read 4829 times)

Procrastinator

Looking for tub purchase advice - please help!
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:25:19 pm »
I am driving myself nuts  :o researching hot tubs. I need a tub for pain  :'( therapy (Lyme disease and rheumatoid arthritis). I've looked into Bullfrog (great concepts, found no users); Arctic, more negative comments than positive; Thermospa, very few positive remarks; Sundance, lots of positives from people. But I don't know which ones have the best therapy jets (of course the company websites are always biased). And I'm really interested in who has the best warranty.
I'd appreciate  :) any feedback at all. I only need a 2-3 person tub.. my space is limited to a small greenhouse off the master bedroom. I have 110 service out there, but can run 220 easily enough. I want to get one soon (I will be able to deduct 90% of the cost on my income tax, so there's more than one reason to get it before 2008).

Thanks to anyone  :-* who can help me!!

Hot Tub Forum

Looking for tub purchase advice - please help!
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:25:19 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Looking for tub purchase advice - please help!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 01:41:29 pm »
I would avoid Thermospa though Arctic and Sundance are just fine. If you need more options go to the websites of some of the other major spa makers and see if they have a local dealer by using their dealer locator (Artesian, Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, D1, Marquis, etc.).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:34:16 pm »
Wow Lyme and RA? Yes, you need a hot tub! (and maybe some of my Blue Moon special treatment too).  Are you saying you have no response from Bullfrog owners on this forum? There are a few owners/users and I don't ever recall any negative info from any of them. I am sure they will speak up.

I have a Marquis Epic (much larger than you are looking for) and I am very pleased with the therapy and my warranty. I think the less you know about hot tubs, the more important the warranty becomes to you. You will need to do some serious wet testing to be sure you find one with the therapy that you want.  

You may also want to explore a bit more before deciding to put the tub in a greenhouse off of your bedroom. There is a tremendous amount of humidity to deal with. Just some thoughts....

Support your dealer so they can support you!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 02:55:50 pm »
Most brands have smaller spas that can fit your space.  2 that come to mind are Hot Spring Jetsetter and Jacuzzi 315.

Can you wet test.  I think it is going to be the only way you will know whether a brand's jets will do you good.  

Just because one person loves a particular spa, doesn't mean anything for someone with particuar therapeutic need.

Other things to consider are reliability of brand and dealer.  Once you have your hot tub, you will not want to be without it.

Good luck on your search.  May you not procrastinate and be soaking soon.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 05:10:24 pm »
I've looked into Bullfrog (great concepts, found no users);

We have a Bullfrog 451 and are very happy with it.  It may be a good choice for what you are looking for, seats 2 or 3 very comfortably.  Bullfrog also makes a smaller 331 that looks more like a 2 person tub, either would be a good choice
Bullfrog 451

goodearth

• HAPPY Bullfrog owner
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 05:25:43 pm »
Just installed a Bullfrog 682 last week it"s the BEST!! wet tested most of the major brands  and Bullfrog blew them all away Pic's to follow

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 05:48:30 pm »
As a fellow sufferer...I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia....all I can say is WET TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many spas I tried actually hurt me by hitting me wrong, and did not hit the spots I need. The top brands like D-1, Caldera, Sundance, Hot Springs, Tiger River, Marquis, Coleman, Vita, Jacuzzi all have good warrantees (I know, I left a bunch out).

DON'T BUY UNTIL YOU TRY!!!!!

Good luck in your search. Also, how do you get the write off? I have a prescription, which in Florida saves sales tax, but is there something else I should know?
Ivie

solo

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 06:51:16 pm »
Defintiely go with a 220v model.

Don't buy anything you don't sit in full of water.  Try out all the seats in the tub.  Try the jets in different configurations and on different powwer settings.   As you have chronic pain, the tub set on the most powerful jet settings might not be what you need. Make certain that you find the tub that has the right jets in the right positions to hit your sore spots.   You may wish to wet test your final selection more than once.  Go with the brand that feels the best.  

If you go with a premium brand like Jacuzzi, Hotsprings, Calderra, Dimension 1, etc, you shouldn't have a thing to worry about.  I found Jacuzzi provide more value than the other premium tubs.  Don't get too caught up in the sales pitch and all the features.  Every tub filters, every tub heats up and there is more than one way to do it.    They will all sell you on why their way is best.  Again, just go with the tub that feels the best.  

But wet test, wet test, wet test.

Once you decide on a few tubs that you like, make certain that you negotiate a good deal.  Prices are generally highly negotiable.  

Cyn

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 07:06:11 pm »
We have a Jacuzzi J-315.  It has a lounger and seats 2-3.  We use it for 2 of us most of the time.  We love it.  

Procrastinator

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 08:34:56 pm »
Thanks for all your help everyone!

Procrastinator

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 09:31:23 pm »

We have a Bullfrog 451 and are very happy with it.

[glow]In Canada eh[/glow]
How long have you had your Bullfrog tub?
I know I must wet test the tubs before I buy and the Bullfrog dealer is almost 2 hours away, so I don't know the dealer or what kind of support I'll have from them.

I spent today reading a multitude of postings and D1 keeps popping up as a great tub. The Dupree Bay is only a 2 person tub with 46 jets and claims to be a good therapy tub. Does anyone know about that one?

Thanks to all again for you input. I value it more than you know!!

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 10:09:39 pm »
Procrastinator, you got some great advice above.  All of the tubs we've mentioned are great.  The mantra (and it is very important) is WET TEST, WET TEST, WET TEST!!!!!   :)
Mike

In Canada eh

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 12:26:33 pm »

[glow]In Canada eh[/glow]
How long have you had your Bullfrog tub?

We have had our tub for a little over a year and a half.  Tub has been great with no problems at all.  If your dealer is to far away try contacting Bullfrog through their website for any questions you may have.  They normally respond very quickly and I know their website manager pops in here from time to time.

Good luck in your search
Bullfrog 451

Tom

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 10:38:34 am »
Arctic, more negative comments than positive!
A couple of years back, some of the negative comments were made by competitors "bashing" our product.  Fortunately, that sort of thing has pretty well tamed down.  

Now, one of the nicer parts of my job is helping customers with issues find a resolution.  Sometimes it takes longer than we'd like (we're taking steps to address that) so if you find a thread with a negative comment, please read to the end to see if it was resolved.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 10:38:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42