What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Selling Marquis Hot Tub  (Read 12919 times)

Bluewater

Selling Marquis Hot Tub
« on: November 18, 2007, 03:48:48 pm »
I couldn't find my old login information, so I registered again.

It has been at least a year since my last visit here. But you all were very helpful when I was searching for a hot tub, and then again after we bought it.

Sadly, my wife and I wish to sell of 2006 Marquis Retreat. We just don't use it enough to justify keeping it any longer. The unit is in excellent condition and works like new.

I have it listed on Craigs List, but just can't get a bite on it. It has been listed several times and I've lowered the price to $2750, after starting at $3300. Is $2750 too high? We paid $4500 a few years ago. Do they lose value so much that $1750 off the price we paid is still not enough?

I really need to sell this, but don't want to get burned too bad. So am I out of line asking $2750?

Thank you.

Hot Tub Forum

Selling Marquis Hot Tub
« on: November 18, 2007, 03:48:48 pm »

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
Re: Selling Marquis Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 06:46:53 pm »
I'm sorry to hear it's not working out for you.  I sold my Marquis SA Reward a couple years ago on craigslist so I could buy the Epic.  I only had 1 bite and they were the ones who bought it.  Some suggestions for you:

1. Be sure to post pictures (personally, I never look at an ad without one)

2. Is it still under warranty? Be sure to mention that the warranty is transferable (Marquis is one of the few that do this and it's a huge selling point) and when the time comes, your dealer will tell you (or the buyer)how.

3. Call the dealer and find out if they know someone who will move to the buyers location and find out how much it will cost.  Reveal this in your ad. Maybe say you have a professional to move it for xxx.xx
(I called the guys who delivered mine and they charged 200.00)

4. Does it still have water in it? People like to see it up and running.  Maybe in the ad you can say "bring your suit and wet test it"

5. Have you asked your dealer about the possibility of selling on consignment?

6. When I sold mine, I called and asked my dealer how much I should ask-he said it depreciates about 1000.00/year, but that was 2 years ago. I think I paid 8900.00ish and asked 6500.00 and took 6200.00-note: I told the buyer either cash or cashiers check

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know

Good Luck
Ruby
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

IlliniFan

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:04:04 pm »
where are you located.  I have a friend looking.

Bluewater

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:32:43 pm »
1. Be sure to post pictures (personally, I never look at an ad without one)

Yes, I have posted pictures as well as added extra pictures via photobucket
http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/marquisspa/

2. Is it still under warranty? Be sure to mention that the warranty is transferable (Marquis is one of the few that do this and it's a huge selling point) and when the time comes, your dealer will tell you (or the buyer)how

Yes, I did this as well in the ad.

3. Call the dealer and find out if they know someone who will move to the buyers location and find out how much it will cost.  Reveal this in your ad. Maybe say you have a professional to move it for xxx.xx
(I called the guys who delivered mine and they charged 200.00)

My dealer is none too interested in helping do anything. I think he just likes to sell new ones.

4. Does it still have water in it? People like to see it up and running.  Maybe in the ad you can say "bring your suit and wet test it"

Has water, but didn't say anything about test driving.

5. Have you asked your dealer about the possibility of selling on consignment?

See above

6. When I sold mine, I called and asked my dealer how much I should ask-he said it depreciates about 1000.00/year, but that was 2 years ago. I think I paid 8900.00ish and asked 6500.00 and took 6200.00-note: I told the buyer either cash or cashiers check

This is how I came about my price range, and he said $3300 is a VERY fair price.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I appreciate it!

Bluewater

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:36:24 pm »
where are you located.  I have a friend looking.

I will PM you.

Bluewater

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 12:41:30 am »
I thought there were Marquis dealers on this forum, if so can they help me out here?

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 12:19:18 pm »
Typically you can get about 50% of the current retail price for a tub 1-3 years old.  3-5 years, about 40%.  That's been my experience anyway.  (I've sold 3 tubs privately)

You may be able to get slightly more with the transferable warranty, however, do you have the traditional marquis warranty with that tub? (many manufacturers only offer their premium warranty with their top line tubs)

Mark

Bluewater

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 01:36:56 am »
So I am not being unreasonable in my asking price. This is the right time of the season I would think. I just don't know. I've listed it 5 times, re-worded, changed pictures, lowered the price...... Maybe I'll just give it away.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 02:49:19 am »
So I am not being unreasonable in my asking price. This is the right time of the season I would think. I just don't know. I've listed it 5 times, re-worded, changed pictures, lowered the price...... Maybe I'll just give it away.

I would say you're probably $500 to $750 high based on what I think you can get. You could take your time and see.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bluewater

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 10:50:27 pm »

I would say you're probably $500 to $750 high based on what I think you can get. You could take your time and see.

Ya know, that is a sad commentary on hot tubs, that they can't even hold half their value after only 2 years.

Had I known this spa would be worthless I would have never bought it. I know I'll never buy another one.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 02:31:17 am »

Ya know, that is a sad commentary on hot tubs, that they can't even hold half their value after only 2 years.

Had I known this spa would be worthless I would have never bought it. I know I'll never buy another one.

Give it try and get what you can but its just a matter of putting yourself in the consumer's position. Just like cars they depreciate most the first couple years so the key is to own them more than 2 years.

How much would you pay if you were looking compared to buying new?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:37:09 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bluewater

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 01:32:46 am »
I do understand what you all are telling me. I just had no idea these spas lose so much value.

I went by my dealer today and asked him what he would sell it for if he had it in his showroom. He thought he'd mark it at $3000, and offer no warranty other than what was left on the original warranty.

So I made him an offer, I bring the spa to his store, he sells it for whatever he can get for it and I'd give him 25 %. he said no, he didn't "have the time". I feel like setting fire to it and being done.

Cyn

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 10:17:39 am »
Wow, you really, really don't want to wait.  Most people take longer than this to sell a car!!  I think some of the reason it is hard to sell a used hot tub is because you need to have it transported and that is a big deal.  When you buy new the transportation is built in along with a the warranty and dealer relationship for getting it repaired, etc.  After reading all the info on this forum, it would be hard for me to trust a used hot tub for a lot of reasons.  And I have always felt you really have to want a hot tub to put in the money for electrical hookup and an area to put it and because of the good sized learning curve involved in maintenance.  The market might be better for someone that has had a tub and wants to upgrade and not pay the higher price of a new one.  I am sorry you feel stuck with yours.  Holding the price for resale is based on a lot of issues.  With a car, well, the population sees one as a necessity...not so with a hot tub.  Good luck.  

Bluewater

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 12:44:01 pm »
Wow, you really, really don't want to wait.  Most people take longer than this to sell a car!!

-I've been trying to sell it for 6 months.-

I think some of the reason it is hard to sell a used hot tub is because you need to have it transported and that is a big deal.

-I've advertised it saying I would deliver it, set it up, and balance the chems, give them 1 year of chems._

When you buy new the transportation is built in along with a the warranty and dealer relationship for getting it repaired, etc.  After reading all the info on this forum, it would be hard for me to trust a used hot tub for a lot of reasons.  

- I understand that, but this hot tub still has a warranty and is being sold at 1/2 cost-

And I have always felt you really have to want a hot tub to put in the money for electrical hookup and an area to put it and because of the good sized learning curve involved in maintenance.

- This hot tub runs on 110v as well as 220v-

The market might be better for someone that has had a tub and wants to upgrade and not pay the higher price of a new one.  I am sorry you feel stuck with yours.  Holding the price for resale is based on a lot of issues.  With a car, well, the population sees one as a necessity...not so with a hot tub.  Good luck.

- Goos points. I don't feel "stuck", just disappointed that I can't seem to sale this thing.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 01:26:14 pm »
Forgive me for being blunt but you sound so sour, if this is your personality why would anyone want to purchase anything from you. If a person came to this board and read your posts not only would they not want a spa they may give up bathing in water all together.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 01:50:14 pm by Mendocino101 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 01:26:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42