What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Moving HT with Pickup  (Read 11099 times)

FriarPuck

Moving HT with Pickup
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:07:47 am »
I am about to purchase HT and am considering moving it myself with a pickup truck. HT would sit on top of the side walls of truck bed and be secured with leather straps with 2x4's underneath tub. I am told by local dealer that HT's are often transported in this manner. Any comments on safety of this approach?

Hot Tub Forum

Moving HT with Pickup
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:07:47 am »

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
Re: Moving HT with Pickup
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 01:39:01 pm »
At this point I would be asking questions about what would happen if the HT were to fall off of the truck? Is it worth saving on delivery costs with the possibility of damage to your new tub?  Next I would figure out how you will get the hot tub out of the back of your truck and into the spot you have picked out.  I just moved my tub 10 feet.... it is not an easy thing to do... and it didn't include any stairs, or doorways.  Just one straight shot.  Just MO

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 02:21:51 pm »
Sounds like a bad idea to me.  A trailer or flat bed where the spa can be supported and secured properly is the best way.  Why is your dealer willing to let you pick it up yourself?  Most dealers include this in part of the price and some manufacturers require the dealer to deliver and set up.  

Check the warranty.  Make sure you will not be voiding your warranty if you do this yourself.  I know Hot Spring and Caldera require their dealers to deliver the spa.

I'm not saying you can't do it the way you described.  I just think it is a bad idea.  That's my opinion.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 02:30:28 pm »
Moved many a spa this way. Works  well and is the easiest way to move a single spa (slide the cover in the bed, under the spa). Frequently you can  stand the spa on edge on the ground, back the truck up to it, and tip the spa down onto the edge of the truck bed, with 2 people. Just be sure to strap it down well, and you might want to consider some padding on the top of the trucks bed to prevent damage to the paint. Also you'll want to slide the spa as far forward as possible on the truck. You don't want to hit the breaks and have the spa in the cab with you :-)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:31:14 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

loosenupspas

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 04:37:26 pm »
I will not sell a hot tub that I don't deliver.  But I have a larger tub too.  Some smaller, 110 volt systems are sold and lighter weight tubs are designed with the consumer as the delivery method.  If there is hard wiring, moving it through a tight space, and any number of specialized requirements, just let the dealer do it.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 10:38:13 am »
This might be a private sale situation.
If brand new from a dealer, I'd not even consider moving it myself.  Waaaay too much at stake for the relatively small savings.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 10:39:27 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 06:16:11 pm »
Moved many a spa this way. Works  well and is the easiest way to move a single spa (slide the cover in the bed, under the spa). Frequently you can  stand the spa on edge on the ground, back the truck up to it, and tip the spa down onto the edge of the truck bed, with 2 people. Just be sure to strap it down well, and you might want to consider some padding on the top of the trucks bed to prevent damage to the paint. Also you'll want to slide the spa as far forward as possible on the truck. You don't want to hit the breaks and have the spa in the cab with you :-)

But you have lots of experience in moving spas, right?
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

FriarPuck

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 07:26:51 pm »
I am considering moving HT with pickup only if I purchase a resale from a private party or from a manufacturer's warehouse where the deal is cash and carry.  Favorable price of HT's is the only reason I am considering moving it myself as opposed to buying from a local dealer and having it delivered. Actually, my brother would be moving the HT with pickup.  He has no experience in moving HT's.  But he is a horse trainer and has lots of experience (and equipment) in moving and hauling major items of great weight. I have manpower help at both ends.  I also have a crane on site  at eventual destination to hoist on to deck.  Crane will be present due to swimming pool purchase. The driving distance is a concern - almost 500 miles. I priced a small UHaul van and they were going to charge about $1,000 just to rent one way and Penski was about $800 if I joined AAA (plus gas $$ in each case and transportation back).  I have not been able to locate a HT trailer type arrangment for rent. So the pickup seems  best suited for "do-it-yourself effort."  I am still considering "used HT" vs. "new HT-local" vs. "new HT-long distance."  This week I will decide.  The crane will be at beach house construction site for only one day next week, and HT needs to be there then.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 08:19:04 pm »

But you have lots of experience in moving spas, right?

In addition I also  have a college education in moving spas. A 2 year program, followed by a 4 year internship  ;D

Dude, this doesn't take some special hot  tub moving experience. It's not a big deal.  It's simply moving something thats big and heavy. Put carpet on rails of bed, lay spa across, slide all the way forward (carpet between spa and cab), tie down TIGHTER than snot, drive away.

Every so often, stop and check the tightness of your ropes. If the spa is old and beat up, it may deteriorate on the bouncing drive.... A newer spa is designed to hold thousands of pounds of water and should be fine as can be, empty, and sitting across the bed of a truck.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 08:19:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42