What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Replacement - Is it time?  (Read 5411 times)

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
Cover Replacement - Is it time?
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:25 pm »
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

I just did a water change and noticed that the back side of my cover (the side that the cover-lifter lifts) weighs about 10 time more than the front side of my cover (the side I always lift up).

It's the original Tiger River cover which is just pushing 3 years old.  I'm assuming water infiltrated the foam (either from rain on top or from the water inside the tub.)  I don't see any tears in the cover but I guess they all give out eventually.

Can anyone shed light on when it's time to replace a cover and where is a good place to get a replacement?

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Replacement - Is it time?
« on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:25 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Cover Replacement - Is it time?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 05:35:13 pm »
As the cover takes on water, it's insulating ability drops. The more water, the less insulating ability..... It sounds like it's time.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clover

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 05:41:16 pm »
covers usually last something between 4 to 5 years and up to 7.  They do absorb moisture over time and that reduces the "R" value of the insulation and contributes to heat loss through the cover.

IF it is still under 3 years, approach your HS dealer and ask if it would be covered under warranty.  Someone that is a HS dealer here could probably tell you about that too.  Maybe they could replace the insert on the one side.

If you use the tub with the cover half on and not completly off, it will increase the absorption rate.  That could be why only one side of the cover is affected.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:26:22 pm »
More likely he's only flipping  back one half of the cover when shocking. The side still facing the spa would then become water logged from chemical degradation.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 06:26:44 pm by lets »

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 07:54:54 pm »
What kind of lifter do you have?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 10:48:28 am »
If it's so heavy that you don't use the spa as often as you used to, it's probably time to replace your cover.  As a manufacturer, we always recommend that the whole cover come off the spa at least a every couple weeks to allow the condensated water to drain out.  The "flip-one-half-back" thing is a big no-no for the reason you are currently experiencing.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 08:00:36 am »
As a manufacturer, we always recommend that the whole cover come off the spa at least a every couple weeks to allow the condensated water to drain out.  The "flip-one-half-back" thing is a big no-no for the reason you are currently experiencing.

I find this very interesting and have never heard this...but certainly makes a lot of sense.  While my cover comes completely off almost every day, I know there are folks out there who soak with just half the cover flipped over...especially during the winter.

This is good information to pass along.

PotomacG

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 11:27:08 am »
Thanks all.  

I sometimes do put chemicals in with the cover only 1/2 open.  I never soak or allow anyone to use the tub unless the cover if fully open.

As far taking the cover off completely or do anything about drying out the cover...that never happens.

I have notices that the inside of the covver has turned lighter (a bleached look).  

Can I remove the one insert and allow it to dry?

Can I buy just 1 insert without replacing the whole cover?

(as far as warranty goes, I bought the tub when it was 6 months old and have no warrenty, so I will not bother Watkins with this).

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 01:40:21 pm »
I'm sure you'd find no cover warranty anyway- Not after that long.  Even if you'd bought new with warranty.  

If you take out the foam to dry, it'll take quite a while- days, or longer.  What will you cover the spa with in the meantime?

You can ask about ordering new foam inserts- you'll probably find them shockingly expensive, and not much cheaper than a new cover.

Look at doc's website.  His cover prices rock- and they include freight.  Plus there are some opions available that may be of interest- like the double wrapping of the foam.

He's considerably cheaper than what my dealer wants for a cover.  
Brewman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 02:22:43 pm »
The "flip-one-half-back" thing is a big no-no for the reason you are currently experiencing.

As I think part of this has been misunderstood, let me rephrase it...

The "flip-one-half-back" thing for shocking, is a big no-no for the reason you are currently experiencing.

Flipping one half back for general use isn't a problem. EXCEPT that you obscure the view of part of the spa and if someone were to be drowning, they may not be seen by people outside of the spa (sorry, I have to get that safety warning in there).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 02:23:01 pm by lets »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 03:26:02 pm »

As I think part of this has been misunderstood, let me rephrase it...

The "flip-one-half-back" thing for shocking, is a big no-no for the reason you are currently experiencing.

Flipping one half back for general use isn't a problem. EXCEPT that you obscure the view of part of the spa and if someone were to be drowning, they may not be seen by people outside of the spa (sorry, I have to get that safety warning in there).

I was commenting on the statement that a cover should come off (by means of a lifter) and essentially be vertical to allow condensated water to drain out.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 03:44:11 pm »
By means of a lifter? I think Shaamus just wants the cover removed, and stood on edge (any edge) to allow it to drain, every few weeks (I too have never heard of this).

PotomacG

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 08:11:53 am »
Thanks everyone.

Doc,  a link to your site would be appreciated.

I see the standard R value for replacement covers starts around 14 and goes up from there.  Living in the mid-atlantic, where we only get snow accasionally, do I need to think of upgrading to something more the R-14?

Thanks

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 10:26:36 am »
Brewman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 10:56:04 am »
I live where we never get snow, and I notice a difference with a thicker more insulating cover.

Here's something to "play" with to see what the approximate difference in savings might be;
http://www.rhtubs.com/__heat-loss-calculator.htm

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 10:56:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42