What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MPS use on the same day as Dichlor  (Read 5998 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: MPS use on the same day as Dichlor
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 07:16:19 pm »

There must be something to this.  I heard the same advice regarding my Arctic Summit.  I have the Peak Ozonator, which is really strong.  But from day one I heeded the advice of many on this forum and dose with dichlor after usage and shock with MPS weekly.  My water is always fantastic, and I am a total know-nothing goof when it comes to this stuff.  So obviously that method is fool-proof.  But I still wonder why salesman recommend the other method when running a strong Ozonator?  Is there something we are missing?

Steven ~
$$$

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 07:16:19 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 09:40:17 pm »

There must be something to this.  I heard the same advice regarding my Arctic Summit.  I have the Peak Ozonator, which is really strong.  But from day one I heeded the advice of many on this forum and dose with dichlor after usage and shock with MPS weekly.  My water is always fantastic, and I am a total know-nothing goof when it comes to this stuff.  So obviously that method is fool-proof.  But I still wonder why salesman recommend the other method when running a strong Ozonator?  Is there something we are missing?

Steven ~

Could it be that the dealer hopes to make more money on future chemical supplies.  A dose of MPS is substantially more expensive than plain old dichlor.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

IlliniFan

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 09:50:27 pm »
Ok, now I am confused.  I use reserve and renew.  Reserve is sodium bromide which as I understand combines with renew which is mps to make bromide.  Am I right?  The way I understand, I put an oz per person after soaking of mps and add renew once a week.  Is this a recipe for disaster?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 10:06:03 pm »
No! Bromine is a different system than chlorine. Every time you shock with MPS you are reactivating the bromine (assuming you have everything correct in using bromine). Chlorine can't be reactivated so MPS just oxidizes and doesn't kill anything the way bromine/MPS does.

I agree with the others with the $$$$$ aspect - MPS is expensive compared to dichlor ... it's almost worth it to use dichlor to shock/reactivate the bromine - much cheaper. The only problem there is a bromine tub with stabilizer - I don't know how stabilizer affects bromine, but I guess some people use dichlor in their bromine tub without an issue.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 08:48:20 am »
Ok, now I am confused.  I use reserve and renew.  Reserve is sodium bromide which as I understand combines with renew which is mps to make bromide.  Am I right?  The way I understand, I put an oz per person after soaking of mps and add renew once a week.  Is this a recipe for disaster?

The Reserve/Renew bromine program is a very good bromine method, though more expensive than bromine tabs or chlorine.  It is the exact same as Rendevous Enhance/Activate (LeisureTime and Rendevous have the same parent company).  You can read about it here:

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/enhance-activate.htm

This doesn't have some of the issues other bromine or chlorine programs have and you can use it with ozone and/or a Frog.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:59:39 am by tony »

morgan23

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 01:21:22 am »
We got similar advice from the dealer as other posters: MPS after every use and dichlor once a week.  We have a Jacuzzi 470 with the corona discharge ozonator.

After only one week, we had cloudy water- I had been testing every day but forgot to test that morning and we soaked that night. Unfortunately we didn't realize the condition of the water till we'd been soaking in at for at least 20 minutes because it was full dark outside. It had been at least 24 hrs since we had put any MPS in and since it was less than a week old, we had only added the original double dose of dichlor suggested by our dealer and none since.

I came up with a lovely case of hot tub rash within a day of discovering the water had gone over.  :P  Needless to say, we drained the tub and started over with dichlor.  I went over a ton of posts and gleaned a lot of info from this and other boards.    Hopefully we're now on the right track with 1.5 tsp of dichlor after each soak, and shocking with MPS once a week. The water has been crystal clear for the past week, and I test daily because I'm now super paranoid about the water going bad.  Especially since we have our kids in there every few days- I'd hate for them to get the rash I have (which I"m wishing would heal up soon so I can go back to soaking!)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 01:21:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42