What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MPS use on the same day as Dichlor  (Read 5997 times)

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
MPS use on the same day as Dichlor
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:13:18 pm »
My salesman told me not to use MPS and Dichlor on the same day stating that they cancel eachother out.  From what I read on here a lot of people use it together.  What gives? :-/

Hot Tub Forum

MPS use on the same day as Dichlor
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:13:18 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: MPS use on the same day as Dichlor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:54:50 pm »
You got questionable advice.  Are you using MPS for shock, and chlorine for sanitizer?
Brewman

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:00:06 pm »
That is how I was doing the Bengal I had.. MPS to shock once a week and then Dichlor after each use and running a cleaning cycle.  That is all I did.. and the water stayed great.  When I switched to the Vista the same sales place mind you.. they said that because the Vista has a stronger Ozonator.. I would be better to switch to an ounce of MPS after every use, and shock once a week with Dichlor.  I am unsure if I like that idea.... I really like the idea of checking my dichlor level and knowing a have a certain level of FAC.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:10:07 pm »
That is how I was doing the Bengal I had.. MPS to shock once a week and then Dichlor after each use and running a cleaning cycle.  That is all I did.. and the water stayed great.  When I switched to the Vista the same sales place mind you.. they said that because the Vista has a stronger Ozonator.. I would be better to switch to an ounce of MPS after every use, and shock once a week with Dichlor.  I am unsure if I like that idea.... I really like the idea of checking my dichlor level and knowing a have a certain level of FAC.

AHHHHH, the original advice was good, the second method they gave almost always leads to water issues. Switch back to your old method and you'll find that all will return to the way it was, easy and effective.

You know the old saying "eat where the truckers eat". My advice is to "sanitize like the spa professionals do on their own spas". Most all the people I work with that own spas use the simple Chlorine per use and shock once per week (shocking with either MPS or chlorine).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

96SC

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 02:20:08 pm »

When they delivered our Vanguard this summer I was given the same advice you were.  MPS after each use and chlorine as a shock.  Talking to some Hot Spring folks in here, they said go ahead and do the chlorine after each use and shock with MPS.  I, too, like to be able to see the results of adding chlorine.  Using this method I haven't had any water problems.  Knock on Pinocchio's head.

Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 02:49:34 pm »
Based on the good advice I have received on this forum, I think I am going to do the same... Dichlor after every use, and MPS once a week.  Thank you everyone!

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 03:58:11 pm »
We purchased a Sundance Cameo back in June.  It came with 250mg ozonator.  Our dealer recommended MPS after each use and dicholr shock one per week.  That's what we did.  We had water issues within the first month.  Drained and filled and continued what the dealer recommended without any problems for 3 months.  We just did another drain and refill last week and based on what I've read here, decided to go dichlor after each use and MPS shock weekly.  Just wanted to compare and see if things go any differently.

Webini

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
FWIW I use dichlor after every soak and MPS once a week to shock for 3 weeks.  On the 4th week I shock with dichlor.  Works fine for me with on ozonator and N2.

My dealer also said to use MPS after every soak and to shock with dichlor.  I had water problems with that routine.

MPS is also expensive!

Spiderman

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 04:48:13 pm »
 When I switched to the Vista the same sales place mind you.. they said that because the Vista has a stronger Ozonator.. quote]

Did you have an ozonator on your Tiger River, because ozone is an option on the Tiger River models.  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 07:25:41 pm »
I had the UV ozone on the Bengal.  The Vista has the Fresh Water III CD Ozone.. ?? I think that is what it is called anyway.  The salesmen said it was a more powerful ozonator, and that was why the change in care.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 07:55:44 pm »
There is something called enhanced shock which is dichor and MPS together. I sometimes use MPS then dichor back to back when I haven't shocked for a while and haven't used chlorine for a few days.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 08:00:20 pm »
Based on the good advice I have received on this forum, I think I am going to do the same... Dichlor after every use, and MPS once a week.  Thank you everyone!

Very wise choise. ;)

FWIW, dichlor and MPS do not cancel each other out.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 08:01:46 pm by tony »

rphman

• Caldera Moorea 07
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 08:16:07 pm »
My dealer (Caldera and HS) told me to add dichlor daily around  1 &1/2 tsp and put in 1 tbs after each soak and shock with mps weekly. I had great water for a little over 2 months and I had to dump it yesterday. I was adding the dichlor and the mps together if I soaked. Now I'm going to use the dichlor daily and shock with mps weekly. I'm hoping to make it through the winter.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 08:26:32 pm »
FWIW I use dichlor after every soak and MPS once a week to shock for 3 weeks.  On the 4th week I shock with dichlor.  Works fine for me with on ozonator and N2.

My dealer also said to use MPS after every soak and to shock with dichlor.  I had water problems with that routine.

[glow]MPS is also expensive[/glow]!

That's the reason I do the same thing.  My water has been great with this system.  I also have Ozone and use N2 (HS version)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 07:12:05 pm »
 When I switched to the Vista the same sales place mind you.. they said that because the Vista has a stronger Ozonator.. I would be better to switch to an ounce of MPS after every use, and shock once a week with Dichlor.  

There must be something to this.  I heard the same advice regarding my Arctic Summit.  I have the Peak Ozonator, which is really strong.  But from day one I heeded the advice of many on this forum and dose with dichlor after usage and shock with MPS weekly.  My water is always fantastic, and I am a total know-nothing goof when it comes to this stuff.  So obviously that method is fool-proof.  But I still wonder why salesman recommend the other method when running a strong Ozonator?  Is there something we are missing?

Steven ~
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 07:15:19 pm by NorthWoodsDipper »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 07:12:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42