What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: question on cover treatment  (Read 7511 times)

IlliniFan

question on cover treatment
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:21:50 pm »
Probably a silly question, but do you treat the under side of the cover too?  Thank you all for your help.  I am sure it won't be the last silly question.
Cathy

Hot Tub Forum

question on cover treatment
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:21:50 pm »

96SC

Re: question on cover treatment
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 12:35:35 pm »
I wouldn't.  You'll find the underside of your cover is dripping with condensate.  Any treatment you put on it would drip into the spa and potentially mess up your water chemistry. :(
As soon as I say that, someone else will say it is a good idea.  But I have never seen it mentioned in here. :-[
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 01:20:05 pm »
The only treatment that I've heard of for the underside is an occassional wipe down with some moderately high chlorinated water.

Spiderman

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:04:59 pm »
You could use some baking soda as well to clean it.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 06:40:10 pm »
Just keep it clean or you might get a musty odor.  
Brewman

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 08:41:33 pm »
Just keep it wiped off.  The sanitizers keep it fairly clean.  You actually are looking to remove any chlorine/bromine you can as you wipe it off.  If you have other stuff under there, you aren't keeping up with your spa water care and, obviously that's the bigger problem.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:45:45 am »
Illini, I do treat the underside of my cover with 303 as well as the top.  I've found no detrimental signs of any water problems because if its use.  I believe it refreshes the vinyl from chloine and ozone proximity.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

3Jax

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 11:20:26 pm »
I had a salesman at one of the dealers that we are shopping state that the use of ozone may cause the underside of the cover to discolor.  He and the owner of this establishment both recommended that we don't spend the money to add the "upgrade" of ozone to any purchase that we may make at their store.  I am taking this "advice" with a grain of salt since they are most likely downplaying the benefits of ozone versus the possible downfalls in order to level the playing field since their product (Jacuzzi) does not come with ozone standard, unlike the other tubs that we are considering.

Has anyone else been told about (or even experienced) the possible deterioration or discoloration of the underside of the cover due to ozone or is this what it seems (a load of BS)?  Thanks for any clarification.

3Jax  

IlliniFan

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:11:25 am »
Funny you should ask.  My Jacuzzi dealer said the same thing as well as that the ozone would deteriorate the head rests as well.  I did not get the ozone.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 04:02:43 am »
Yes, ozonators will discolor the underside of your cover, headrests, and maybe even some plastics.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 09:11:57 am »
Yes, ozonators will discolor the underside of your cover, headrests, and maybe even some plastics.

IMO, ozone in a spa is like shocking with your cover down...except at a lower level continuously.  Ozone is a powerful oxidizer that collects under a closed cover.  That is why you can smell it when you open the cover.  You have to decide whether the benefits of ozone outweigh the downsides.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 10:13:48 am »

I have a brownish spot on my floating bubble blanket, right above the ozonator.
2005 HS Vanguard

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 01:01:46 pm »
I've heard that but there's no discoloration yet on my cover.
And, as I was told, ozone breaks back down to O2 in a a matter of seconds, usually in the water itself. If that's true, then ozone should rarely reach the cover.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 01:18:34 pm »
I read that over /mis-use of dichlor is more apt to discolor and damage your cover than ozone.

kokanee001

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 01:25:01 pm »
The only salespeople who told me ozone was not worth getting were those whose tubs did not include it as a standard feature. I have it in my HS and I believe it to be beneficial feature.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 01:25:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42