What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 5061 times)

Spiderman

Winterizing
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:13:14 pm »
I've read most of the posts via the search function but was wondering what dealers charge for winterizing hot tubs?  Also, it seems some have said you don't have to use RV antifreeze in the lines and some say you do.  I would guess using the RV would be the safest bet, but how much of a PITA is start-up proceedure with the antifreeze?
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

Winterizing
« on: November 17, 2007, 01:13:14 pm »

tubbin

Re: Winterizing
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 09:14:28 pm »
I know this hasn't anything to do with your question....but, have you tried the tub in the winter? It's a beautiful thing sitting in the tub while snow flies. This year I am 'summerizing' the tub. In my opinion, it's not much fun sitting in 102 degree water when the weather hasn't dropped below 85 in weeks.  
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 10:37:51 pm by tubbin »

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:20:06 am »
I can not wait for the first snow to fly up here!!! That was one of the main reasons for getting a spa was to sit in it while its snowing!

I think this summer I will just put the water temp down to 80* and let the kids use it as a heated pool... our inground pool never goes about 72*... and that is pretty cold!

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:52:32 am »
Woke up this morning to our 1st snow of the season  ;D Made my coffee, heated up my towel and robe and put them in a cooler to keep warm, poured my coffee and headed out to the tub.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

This was my fist soak while it was snowing. Nothing beats it.  :D

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:33:16 am »
H8223- how long does the robe and towel stay warm inside of the cooler?? My Towel froze outside last night ( got out of tub to get drink... then hung the towel..... ) Not cool wrapping a towel that is stiff with ice around you when getting out of the spa.

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 07:44:18 pm »
I got out after about 20 minutes and the towel and robe were still warm, not hot but better then it would of been just sitting out in the cold.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 08:58:39 am »
Nobody seems to want to actually answer your questions.  I'm not a dealer, but if it was me winterizing a spa, I'd either suck every bit of water out of the plumbing as possible or figure out a way to circulate RV antifreeze into the works.  

Either one would be okay as long as no water was left in the plumbing to freeze.

RV antifreeze is very safe, and non toxic.  So I'd probably remove as much as possible with a wet vac, fill the spa normally, and power up.  The little left in the lines shouldn't hurt anything, and would likely be totally flushed out at the first water change.  

Not sure if the stuff comes in colorless form- the stuff I use in my boat engine is pink.

Brewman

Spiderman

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:59:01 pm »
Nobody seems to want to actually answer your questions.  I'm not a dealer, but if it was me winterizing a spa, I'd either suck every bit of water out of the plumbing as possible or figure out a way to circulate RV antifreeze into the works.  

Either one would be okay as long as no water was left in the plumbing to freeze.

RV antifreeze is very safe, and non toxic.  So I'd probably remove as much as possible with a wet vac, fill the spa normally, and power up.  The little left in the lines shouldn't hurt anything, and would likely be totally flushed out at the first water change.  

Not sure if the stuff comes in colorless form- the stuff I use in my boat engine is pink.

Thanks Brewman for trying to answer the question at hand.   I'm not doing this to my tub, a customer wants me to winterize his hot tub (non Hot Spring) and I want to make sure I don't screw it up.  I don't have a big 'ol honking blower to blow out the lines, only a shop vac and I don't want to leave any water in the tub.  I'm probably just going to tell him I don't feel comfortable doing it to a 10+ year old non HotSpring tub.  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:11:19 pm »
It all depends on what type of antifreeze you use and how much. Some foam up quite a bit and require a full fill start up and drain some require half fill and drain or the good stuff requires nothing but shock and a quick filter.  When I use Antifreeze in a tub I use an antifreeze  from Sani Marc I find it doesnt foam up.  I usually add anitfreeze through the filter then blow it through the lines as well as the diverters so it comes out the jets that way if there is any water left it gets caught up in the antifreeze.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 06:11:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42