What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 1st Month Report. Sundance Maxxus  (Read 2286 times)

Johnny D

1st Month Report. Sundance Maxxus
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:34:16 am »
Had my Sundance Maxxus, 480 gallons, for 1 month now. Love to get your feedback.
  • First of all I  :DLOVE this hot tub. It is the right size and I enjoy the jets immensely. Wet tested several before I made the decision. It just fits us better. Definitely like the variety of seats including the lounge.  Highly recommend getting a stereo no matter which spa you choose.  I keep the temp at about 102. (Wife likes it hotter, I like it cooler, this is our compromise.)
    Both of us use the spa about 4-5 times a week, mostly just us.
    Keep it covered with a Spacap since I had no room on any of the sides for a hard cover. So far this is working out OK. It resembles a big comforter in that it is bulky. The air bladder seems to keep the heat in. Although in SoCal, weather is never really an issue.
All of my knowledge was gathered by reading from the experts on this and another board. Thank you!!!  
Maintainence has been relatively easy and maybe 5 mintues a day on average.

I check the chemicals daily with a test strip, quick and easy.
First week I added the Leisure Time cholrine which contains CYA.

After the first week and ever since, I switched to chlorox, regular strength. My daily check reveals that the chorine is almost zero. I add about 3 oz per day, usually when exiting the spa. It seems to last for about 24hours. My spa has ozone which runs continuously. I get NO chorine smell whatsoever.

I check with the Taylor kit once a week. Not the hard once I got the hang of it.
Almost everything is in range and my CYA is close to 30. Combined chorine has never been close to .5 so I have not shocked it ever. I am guessing the ozone eats up the spent chorine.

The PH has been on the high end of the scale, (purple on the Taylor) kit so I have been adding 1 1/2 to 2 tsp (diluted in water before adding)Spa Down by Leisure Time once a week. The next day the PH is in the middle of the range again. Cool Beans.

Foaming has not beenan issue neither has cloudiness. It remains crystal clear. The only product I use is 1 1/4 capfuls of Spa Perfect once per week. Supposedly has enzymes that helps keep everything in check and the water feels silky, never drying or harsh.

Once in a while I add Spazazz. Seems to have no effect on the chemicals that I can tell.
Once a week I remove the filter and clean it by rinsing with a hose thoroughly.

Trick I learned that I will pass on. I take a 3' section of 1/2" PVC, hold the palm of my hand over the end, airtight. Lower the other end into the spa where I see debris on the bottom, schmutz, release the palm of my hand and it gets sucked up. Replace my palm over the end, remove the tube and dump that water including the debris out the side. VOILA, homemade vacuum.   ;D

Hot Tub Forum

1st Month Report. Sundance Maxxus
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:34:16 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: 1st Month Report. Sundance Maxxus
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:56:24 am »
After the first week and ever since, I switched to chlorox, regular strength.

Most, if not all spa manufacturers will not cover any damage caused by using bleach.
It will also cause your filters to deteriorate faster.

Why did you make the switch and where did you get the advice from? I'm guessing from some of the people on poolandspaforum.

If your worried about your CYA rising to fast by using dichlor as your primary sanitizer, don't. As long as you do a refill every 3-4 months it shouldn't be an issue. You could also utilize an ozononator, use a mineral catridge, and/or shock with mps to help limit the amount of dichlor you add to your spa. Just my 2 cents.

Chad
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 04:00:12 am by WHY_NOT »

Hot Tub Forum

Re: 1st Month Report. Sundance Maxxus
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:56:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42