What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic factory not helping with my warranty issue!  (Read 15757 times)

NorthWoodsDipper

• Not Brrrrr..... but Aaaaa!
Arctic factory not helping with my warranty issue!
« on: October 29, 2007, 12:57:35 pm »
I am not sure where to turn to on this costly issue.  The Arctic factory will not help me with my spa warranty issue, even though my dealer sees that clearly my spa has a severe defect.  

I have had my Arctic Summit for almost a year now, and for the most part, My family and I love it.  The wood shell looks fantastic with all our woodwork - see photo below.  We chose Arctic over the other brands in town because of the thick cover and overall design, which was supposed to be very energy efficient.  I actually had to drive 60 miles to find a dealer as there was not one in my city of 80,000.  But there were sure a lot of other brands, all of which were less money.  But like I said, I wanted the best, and the Arctic sure seemed to be "top shelf".

When the weather turned cold last winter (central Minnesota) I noticed my electric bill go through the roof.  It was incredible!  I knew something must have been wrong, so I called my salesman.  He had me check to make sure the cover was sitting tight, and sure enough, it was not.  Since my spa arrived, I always thought it was strange that I didn't get the "suction" when I lift the cover, like I noticed on all other spas.  I also wondered why steam pored out from under my cover when it went through the cleaning cycle.

The problem lies in the flatness of the shell top.  It is not flat.  It appears to have "shrunk back" after it came off the fiberglass mold.  It has almost 3/8" gaps.  I can stick my finger in one of the gaps.  I suppose this would not be such a problem, if the cover they make was not so robust.  But if you looked at Arctic's ad, you would see how they pride themselves on their photo with about 10 people standing on the cover.  The cover does not sag.  The heavy duty cover, and supposedly low energy requirement of the Arctic line is why I drove 60 miles and paid $2000 more for my spa (my Summit was $9000) than the other brands that were sold right in my city.

I have to say my salesman and installation/service guys have been great to work with.  I have no quarrels with them.  They don't understand why the factory will not warranty this issue.  But I have been going back and forth with them and the factory for over 6 months now.  

Below are photos of the gap.  Some are shown with a string pulled tight, and others with a 4 foot straightedge.  Does anyone have an idea as to what I should do next?

Steven

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 12:59:38 pm by NorthWoodsDipper »

Hot Tub Forum

Arctic factory not helping with my warranty issue!
« on: October 29, 2007, 12:57:35 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Arctic factory not helping with my warranty is
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:19:02 pm »
thats not right at all.  I would be getting a lawyer involved.  This should be a warranty claim as it is clearly a factory defect.

I too, have had problems with my arctic tub which I have attributed to a problem from delivery, however, I have recently been advised that it is not covered under my warranty.  I was delivered a tub that was apparently damaged upon delivery due to a train accident while being shipped.  My cedar lip edge that goes around the tub was damaged on delivery.  

I was told that they would replace it, however, when they came to look at it, they sanded it down and re-stained it.  Now the corner seem has pulled apart and I was told that it was not covered, I believe that this was because of the original damage that was caused during delivery from the factory.

Also, when the crew installed my tub, they, drilled the hole for the wire to big, and now I have a mouse issue in a tub that is not suppose to have a rodent problem because of the forever floor.

Tom has been amazing, in trying to get my local techs to come by, however, I have been met with resistance from my local end.  

I love arctic tubs, and believe that they make a great quality product, however, I too am feeling the lack of support.  I think you need to talk to Tom on this forum if he has not already responded.  If anyone can help you, I believe that he will be a great start.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 02:31:30 pm »
The Arctic factory will not help me with my spa warranty issue...
I have recently been advised that it is not covered under my warranty.
Both of these issues had previously come to my attention and both were directed to the warranty department.   Please wait while I investigate further.

NorthWoodsDipper

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 03:35:33 pm »
Thanks Tom!  My claim of the top surface being so far out of flatness seems like such a no-brainer warranty issue.  I am sure the factory just didn't understand how bad it is.

Steven
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 03:36:05 pm by NorthWoodsDipper »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 04:05:02 pm »
did you send them pictures like these ones??  Perhaps these will help explain it.  It was as clear as day from the photos.

Tom

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 05:05:29 pm »
Some of those are new images and of better quality than the ones in the original submission.

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 05:59:25 pm »
My Avalanche is pretty much Identical to that, possibly even more so in the corner where the "captain's chair" is.
Oddly enough, in the same colour as your's.
Never had much issue in the electrical bill. running the tun in winter seems to leave me with close to the same monthly bill as running the AC in July.

I do usually notice a spike in the months when I drain/refill the tub.

My main gripe right now is that the plastic on the rear side of the jets is peeling, leaving little crumbs of black plastic in the water, and the centering pivot thing on the back of one the the jets has fallen off, so the jet wobbles as it spins. Haven't brought it up with the dealer yet, as the tub has been drained for the last 6 months while SWMBO was pregnant.....just refilled and hopped in for the first time today since last February

Pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:34:14 pm »
Tom, I was wondering how often Arctic replaces their molds, as repeated heating and cooling does take its toll on them depending on the material used to make the molds. I know at Pacific this year they are using porcelain molds which are supposed to last much longer and provide uniform molds flawlessly but of course this the first year.

NorthWoodsDipper

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 08:30:23 pm »
Some of those are new images and of better quality than the ones in the original submission.

Tom, are you refering to the photo of my sweetheart? :-)

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 08:41:52 pm »
In the meantime, I wonder if you could use a 1/4" floating blanket cutting it into strips and adding them to the bottom of the cover in the problem areas.

anne

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 09:36:18 pm »
Wow- sorry about your trouble. I have no issues with my shell or cover, but I have found the warranty dept to be a bit ......no, lets say VERY frustrating to work with. (I was just about to post about my tub, so I wont hijack here, but I'm rooting for you!!!!)
Dance like nobody's watching

NorthWoodsDipper

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 08:19:43 am »
Thanks Anne!  I think because I can still use my tub, the Arctic warranty dept. sort of poo-pooed it as me just being too picky.  But what floors me is the dealer said my spa shell definitely had issues.

Oh well, hopefully Tom's resending of my photos in will make a difference!  It just kills me to see the steam (heating dollars) pouring out of my tub during the cleaning cycles!  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:22:27 am by NorthWoodsDipper »

C-MeToasty

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 09:08:18 am »
stick a few socks in the gap for the meantime so you do not lose all that money.  There were a couple of issues regarding that same problem so you are not the only one.  They must be well aware of the issue and I am suprised Artic doesn't respond in a timely manner for you guys.  As I noticed Tom has been the most caring so far but that doesn't help if the man upstairs doesn't acknowledge.  They should give you a new tub for it being so out of Wack!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 02:35:26 pm »
for the guy that posted about the jets. They changed there jets at the end of last year, I was having the same problem, but now with the new line of jets under warranty, I have had no issues.

104 degrees

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 02:37:04 pm »
stick a few socks in the gap for the meantime so you do not lose all that money.  There were a couple of issues regarding that same problem so you are not the only one.  They must be well aware of the issue and I am suprised Artic doesn't respond in a timely manner for you guys.  As I noticed Tom has been the most caring so far but that doesn't help if the man upstairs doesn't acknowledge.  They should give you a new tub for it being so out of Wack!

It sounds like arctic just doesent care if you have a problem. I bet the owner of arctic has a Hot springs

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 02:37:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42