What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: N2 a No Go?  (Read 4418 times)

orbitaljoe

• 2007 J480...        It's a Jiquewzy, Hon
N2 a No Go?
« on: November 14, 2007, 01:17:32 pm »
Hey Guys,
 I was thinking of adding a N2 cartridge next refill, until I noticed that they're a no go when using Bromine. >:(  
Then I saw that Leisuretime makes what they call a spa mineral purification cartridge that supposedly will work with any sanitizer. I guess my questions are: Are they basically the same (Silver) system? Has anyone used the LT product? Will it really work with Bromine or are they just pushing hard to sell them?
Thanks,
 Joe

Lovin' Jacuzzi
Ain't the beer cold!

Hot Tub Forum

N2 a No Go?
« on: November 14, 2007, 01:17:32 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: N2 a No Go?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:50:01 pm »
 I think nature 2 either way would be a waste of money if you are using bromine.   For one, its not really needed with a 24/7 sanitizer such as bromine.   Do you have the ozonator??

loosenupspas

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:25:13 pm »
I think that N2 and bromine is incompatible.  The instruction say to add dichlor.  Dichlor creates a chemical reaction with the N2 to allow it to work.  Bromine is a fine system.  I sell both, each one has its benefits.  Bromine is chlorine free....Brilliance anyway is and thus soft on your flesh.  Bromine is somewhat foamy.  N2 is simple to use, last four months before you have to change it out. N2 cartridges are getting very expensive.  Dichlor has a slight odor.  I use bromine myself......your choice.

TwinTowers

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 05:25:40 pm »
Bromine is a fine system.
I just switched to bromine. I started with a Bromine Reserve pack and just use bromine tabs in a floater. What is the "system" and what else should I be doing?  (I am very new to the hot-tub world so accronyms will be over my head.)

Spiderman

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 05:57:45 pm »
Bromine will "coat" the N2 rocks rendering them ineffective.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 06:25:03 pm »
The Leisure Time mineral purifier is the same as the Frog by King Technology.  Check out the info at kingtechnology.com or at rhtubs.com.  LeisureTime rebrands the Frog under its own name.  It is slightly different than N2 but silver is the common bacteriacide in both.  You can use the Frog with bromine or chlorine....N2 only chlorine.  The advantage of the Frog with bromine is you can keep a lower bromine level.  If I were using bromine, I would use the Frog.

orbitaljoe

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 06:29:37 pm »
OK, Thanks for the tips guys, I really am happy with the Bromine itself...
JJ: No, I didn't go for the Ozonator...Figured I could easily add it later if I decide I can't live without it.
TT: Even with the floater, you still need to shock at least once a week with a MPS (non-chlorine) like Renew.
Tony...Thanks for clearing that up...I may just give that a try

Lovin' Jacuzzi   8-)
Joe
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 06:31:23 pm by orbitaljoe »
Ain't the beer cold!

TubsAndCues

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:07:44 pm »
Bromine will "coat" the N2 rocks rendering them ineffective.

I was under the assumption that clarifiers "coated" the silver ions.  I believe the problem with bromine and N2 is that the bromine will cause an oxidation of the silver, thus leaving a staining problem (likely black or dark grey).

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 03:58:33 pm »

I was under the assumption that clarifiers "coated" the silver ions.  I believe the problem with bromine and N2 is that the bromine will cause an oxidation of the silver, thus leaving a staining problem (likely black or dark grey).

I don't believe there is any problem with bromine and silver.  Both N2 and the Frog use silver.  I believe the problem using N2 with bromine has more to do with copper.  The Frog has silver and zinc where the N2 uses silver and copper.

orbitaljoe

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 05:28:09 pm »

Man, you guys are all over this chemistry...

So tell me...
Why is my silver chain (necklace) now black and ugly, and how do I get it shiny again?...
The Jacuzzi salesman didn't mention that...LOL

Joe
Lovin' Jacuzzi   8-)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:11:29 pm by orbitaljoe »
Ain't the beer cold!

TubsAndCues

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 06:59:03 pm »
Man, you guys are all over this chemistry...

So tell me...
Why is my silver chain (necklace) now black and ugly, and how do I get it shiny again?...
The Jacuzzi salesman didn't mention that...LOL

Joe
Lovin' Jacuzzi   8-)

I believe, Joe, that the cause of your silver chain turning black is due to the bromine oxidizing the silver.

Tony,
The spa N2 cartridges typically don't contain copper, however I know the pool versions do.  Copper will normally leave a green stain behind, where silver will turn black.  I'll do a little more checking to make sure I'm correct, but I'm 90% positive on this.  

As for the Frog cartridges, I don't know enough about them to say for sure, but I'll look into those too.  You've got me curious as to how/why those can be used with bromine.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 07:31:07 am »

I believe, Joe, that the cause of your silver chain turning black is due to the bromine oxidizing the silver.

Tony,
The spa N2 cartridges typically don't contain copper, however I know the pool versions do.  Copper will normally leave a green stain behind, where silver will turn black.  I'll do a little more checking to make sure I'm correct, but I'm 90% positive on this.  

As for the Frog cartridges, I don't know enough about them to say for sure, but I'll look into those too.  You've got me curious as to how/why those can be used with bromine.

I believe you are correct.  I always thought N2 contained trace amounts of copper but it seems that N2 contains silver and zinc while the Frog uses silver and limestone.

I have used both extensively with chlorine.  The Frog originally was sold as a companion to both bromine and chlorine equally.  Now the Frog is really pushing towards bromine with their dual floaters and in line systems....maybe to distance themselves from N2.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 07:31:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42