What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Owner Without a Clue, Please HELP!!!  (Read 6961 times)

rg567

New Owner Without a Clue, Please HELP!!!
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:40:47 pm »
I recently purchased a home that has a hot tub. The hot tub is built into the floor in a room and is indoors. The plumbing and bottom of the tub are located in the basement with the lower parts of the tub and hoses being insulated with a "great stuff" looking insulation.

To make a long story short, I know NOTHING about this tub or about spas in general and have never owned a pool or spa before. The house was vacant for a while and everything, including the tub, had been winterized. Now that its getting colder out, I'd like to get the tub up and running.

From what I can see, the tub is 7'x7' with 4 seats and one area to lay down. It looks to be about 3' deep. Just to the right of the stairs are 2 knobs and 4 buttons with the buttons in the middle and one knob on each side. Also in that corner is the filter area which contains a 4-5"x16" can style filter.

The controls in the basement are labeled as follows(I have no idea what any of them do):
1) Hydro Quip 9000 Series ACS
2) Mark Silent Air Blower 2 stage 1.5hp Model: Mark V11-E
3) Flo Master Model: 06620608-1
4) Magna Tek 3.5hp Motor
5) Hercules Products Lightning Series Ozone Converter

I'd love it if someone could take the time to give me a bit of info on this tub or these controls. Any info on filling and getting everything going would also be helpful.  I don't even know what button does what, all I know is that it makes noise when I flip the breaker...

Thanks in advance,
rg

Hot Tub Forum

New Owner Without a Clue, Please HELP!!!
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:40:47 pm »

Spiderman

Re: New Owner Without a Clue, Please HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 11:09:55 pm »
Don't turn on the breakers to the tub if it is not filled with water.  After you fill it and turn it on, you can play with the buttons and levels and figure out what they do, that's part of the fun!   You probably want to get a new filter as well.   Find a good local dealer and get set up with some water care products and have at it!  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 09:34:06 am »
The best thing you could do is find a good spa service company to come out and teach you all about the spa.  I would have the spa filled when they come.  They can also check out everything to make sure it's all working.  

I imagine you had a home inspection, so hopefully everything is working.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:14:50 pm »
I wouldn't assume that.  I've seen some pretty dismal home inspections.  

Brewman

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 01:27:29 pm »
I wouldn't assume that.  I've seen some pretty dismal home inspections.  

Hence my "hopefully" comment.  
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 03:04:53 pm »
Be careful with an indoor hot tub.

They need proper ventilation or "hot tub lung" can lurk.

Take a look at the following links for more info:

http://www.nationaljewish.org/news/y2000/news49.aspx

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NTB/is_13_42/ai_104211201

rg567

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:26:20 pm »
Be careful with an indoor hot tub.

They need proper ventilation or "hot tub lung" can lurk.

Take a look at the following links for more info:

http://www.nationaljewish.org/news/y2000/news49.aspx

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NTB/is_13_42/ai_104211201

Looks a great reason to make sure the water quality is good at all times...

rg567

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:31:31 pm »
The best thing you could do is find a good spa service company to come out and teach you all about the spa.  I would have the spa filled when they come.  They can also check out everything to make sure it's all working.  

I imagine you had a home inspection, so hopefully everything is working.

Unfortunately, the home was not inspected.  The home I purchased was a forclosure.  It was a great deal, but was not eligible for a home inspection.  I have a few friends in the home business who checked out the house, but the hot tub was never looked at.  The whole house, including the tub, had been vacant though the winter months and had been winterized.  I'll hit the local pool store and see what they have to say before messing with it.  Sounds like a lot of work, hopefully it'll be worth it in the end.

Is anyone familiar with the tub in the picture or the quality of some of the components listed?  I'd love to know if I've got a decent setup or a POS...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 07:32:23 pm by rg567 »

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 10:34:12 pm »
I'd fill it, shock it with about 30 ppm chlorine while pumps are running.  (Make sure all jets are open.)  Check to see that everything works.  Drain it.  Fill it again.  Balance chems and give it a whirl  ;)
"Growing older but not up..."

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 11:36:09 pm »
As suggested, by Vanguard, I would call out a service tech and have them go over it with you. Good luck.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 07:46:01 am »

Is anyone familiar with the tub in the picture or the quality of some of the components listed?  I'd love to know if I've got a decent setup or a POS...

Where are you located?  It looks like a Royal Spa to me, I'm not sure if they are regional around the midwest or if they sell nationally.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

rg567

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 01:34:04 pm »

Where are you located?  It looks like a Royal Spa to me, I'm not sure if they are regional around the midwest or if they sell nationally.

I'm located in SE Wisconsin

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 01:34:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42