What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Alkalinity  (Read 2857 times)

Cyn

Alkalinity
« on: November 12, 2007, 06:20:30 pm »
I asked this once before and Tony very kindly gave me his response, but I am still confused on the issue.  Using the Taylor Kit to measure alkalinity, the instructions read to add a drop at a time and swirl in between drops, until liquid goes from green to red.  I have found that the liquid literally goes from green to pale pink to a hot pink color and then to red taking at least 2-3 extra drops after the pale pink to get to red.  This means a 20-30ppm difference in my reading for alkalinity...a huge difference.  To me, the pink color is very definately pink and not red so I would assume the person who wrote the instructions would have put pink, if that was where you were supposed to stop the drops and take the reading.

How do others use their Taylor Kit to read alkalinity...Tony just counts to the change from green to the first level that I would call pink.  

Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

Alkalinity
« on: November 12, 2007, 06:20:30 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Alkalinity
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:43:52 pm »
I too just go until it changes. If it doesn't change significantly (green to something other than pink/red) then I add another drop.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:44:16 pm by Vinny »

Cyn

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:48:03 pm »
Vinny,
So you too just wait for a green to pinkish change.  I know what you mean by a non specific change also...I would add another drop for sure at that point too to get to the pinkish to hot pink color.  Thanks.

Anyone figure it should be a red color?  

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:48:48 pm »
Mine goes from green to a gray color, then one more drop and it goes to red (least I have been calling it red....maybe it's a dark pink????)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:49:22 pm »
Mine goes from green to a light pink and then it doesn't matter if I add 1 or 10 more drops(I've tried this a few times), it turns a dark pink and never gets any darker after that. So that next drop that turns it to dark pink is my reading.

I would keep going until it doesn't get any darker. In your case, red.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 06:50:45 pm by WHY_NOT »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:49:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42