What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: replacement sundance chelsee-help  (Read 5537 times)

jag11

replacement sundance chelsee-help
« on: November 10, 2007, 09:14:16 pm »
Well I finally got my replacement Chelsee set up and running.

My problems continue- not sure what is going on now!

Like with my last one the air value on the right side closest to the control panel is not doing anything. I know that this value only injects air to the footwell and it isn't that powerful but it isn't working on this new one!! The breakdown of my last tub started with this air value.

I also noticed that when I have all the jets  on the heater turns off. I have my wiring set up for 60 amps and my last tub did not do this. Is this a problem with the set up of the tub or did my electritian do something?

The main diverter value sounds like a loud sucking noise in certain positions.

When pump one is on its lowest setting the motor is very loud.

I am really not enjoying this whole thing- just too much money to have such problems!!

Is there a known problem with the Chelsee and its air values? How should I proceed?

Thanks for any advise!

Hot Tub Forum

replacement sundance chelsee-help
« on: November 10, 2007, 09:14:16 pm »

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
Re: replacement sundance chelsee-help
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:40:44 am »
Heh - been here and bought the teeshirt!!

Looking at the control panel, the right side valve puts air in the middle volcano jet ONLY....

Press jet 1 twice for full power (make sure number 2 is OFF), then turn the diverter so ALL of the water goes to the volcano jet - THEN turn the right side valve and watch the air come through the water coming from the volcano jet - you should see the difference immediately...

The valve on the left facing the control panel puts air into the left seat, the four foot well jets AND the right hand 3 jet seat (my favorite)

When I have all the jets on, hot water was still coming through the small outlet on the floor on the tub by the front right seat.....

Just tried my diverter and it also sucks in certain positions, so I think that is normal...

Pump sounds ok to me at low setting on number 1 - number 2 is one setting only.

The biggest problem with the Chelsee air valves is the pi** poor instructions you get.....

......I  was visited by an engineer, who worked it out pretty quick, and it made me feel a little foolish - Sundance 'instructions' I think may have led to the confusion....

Hope this helps
Nosher.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 08:32:34 am »
Well I finally got my replacement Chelsee set up and running.

My problems continue- not sure what is going on now!

Like with my last one the air value on the right side closest to the control panel is not doing anything. I know that this value only injects air to the footwell and it isn't that powerful but it isn't working on this new one!! The breakdown of my last tub started with this air value.

I also noticed that when I have all the jets  on the heater turns off. I have my wiring set up for 60 amps and my last tub did not do this. Is this a problem with the set up of the tub or did my electritian do something?

The main diverter value sounds like a loud sucking noise in certain positions.

When pump one is on its lowest setting the motor is very loud.

I am really not enjoying this whole thing- just too much money to have such problems!!

Is there a known problem with the Chelsee and its air values? How should I proceed?

Thanks for any advise!

Not sure if this will help at all.  I would suggest you get your dealer out to be sure everything is operating correctly with the new spa so that everybody has the same understanding.

First the air valve.  I am not familiar with the Chelsee and which valves do what, but opening the air venturi valves don't inject.  Air is drawn in by the action of the jets.  There should be a noticable difference in the jet action with the valve open compared to closed.

If you have both pumps on, are wired by the electrician for 60 amps and the heat won't come on, then the tub needs to be configured to run at 60 amps.  It is a simple jumper change and your dealer should do this.  The spas come factory set for 50 amps.

Diverters in certain positions can be noisy.  It is the amount of water flowing through them that makes the noise.  This is not uncommon.  I find my diverters, especially pump 2 because it only diverts between two places, is noisiest in the center position.

Pumps one is the only two speed pump and shouldn't be loud on low.

I haven't heard any other issues regarding the air valves but maybe a Sundance dealer can chime in.  

clover

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 01:24:56 pm »
Be sure ALL of your jets are open and have water coming through them.  If some of the jets are rotated counter clockwise closed and not allowing water flow, will create back pressure on the pump.  This could be the cause of pump noise and diverter restriction causing noise.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

jag11

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 02:43:56 pm »
Thanks for the helpful input-

I will contact my dealer to have him check the setting for 60 amps- I reminded him of this when we made arrangements for delivery and he had said they would take care of it-I'm hoping it was just something that got overlooked by them.

Nosher-
I took your advise and tried the air value with pump one on full and pump two off-then turned diverter to footwell and turned air value on and it did inject bubbles!!
This is very strange because it clearly doesn't add  any bubbles unless diverter is set to footwell but with my first tub this was not the case. I could see the bubbles with all three pumps on and just turned air valuve on and you could thee bubbles come out of footwell.
(Note- this was after I had techs out fixing the valuve which they said was not hooked up at factory?- as mentioned in other post this was only the beginning of the problems)

I guess the question is why would this tub have an air value that only worked in this odd setting? And why was it not the case with last tub? I know I am being very picky now but I don't want to let anything slide incase it is a sign of a bigger issue down the road.

Clover- I did check to be sure all jets are open and on full but again I think that you are suppose to be able to have some jets closed and not expect  loud pump noises.

One other thing I noticed today is that when waterfall is on it is taking considerable pressure away from the value where the hot water and ozone come from. This is when no pumps are on just waterfall and heater-as soon as I shut the waterfall off there is a big increase in flow of water and bubbles -is  this due to not being correctly set for 60 amps- I dont remeber this being an issue with old tub?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 02:53:22 pm »

One other thing I noticed today is that when waterfall is on it is taking considerable pressure away from the value where the hot water and ozone come from. This is when no pumps are on just waterfall and heater-as soon as I shut the waterfall off there is a big increase in flow of water and bubbles -is  this due to not being correctly set for 60 amps- I dont remeber this being an issue with old tub?

I believe this is normal.  The waterfall is part of the circ pump system so when the waterfall is on, water is diverted from the in spa return to the waterfall and thus less flow from the return.

I can't say that I blame you for wanting to be sure everything is working correctly.  You should be picky.

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 01:39:45 pm »
Thanks for the helpful input-

Nosher-
I took your advise and tried the air value with pump one on full and pump two off-then turned diverter to footwell and turned air value on and it did inject bubbles!!
This is very strange because it clearly doesn't add  any bubbles unless diverter is set to footwell but with my first tub this was not the case. I could see the bubbles with all three pumps on and just turned air valuve on and you could thee bubbles come out of footwell.
(Note- this was after I had techs out fixing the valuve which they said was not hooked up at factory?- as mentioned in other post this was only the beginning of the problems)

You are RIGHT to be picky!!

The engineers that also visited also thought that the "valve was no hooked up in the factory" until they did some simple blow tests - this showed that it WAS connected - not to the seat, but to the volcano - this saved needless digging of foam!

I think the Chelsee is a great tub and salespersons should be trained better in what valve does what to which jet IMHO....

....would have saved a lot of trouble!

OK - I am off for a soak!

Regards
Nosh.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 01:39:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42