What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Does Ozone cause upper respirtory problems?  (Read 6525 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Does Ozone cause upper respirtory problems?
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:53:56 pm »
Over the past 10 days my upper chest in my lungs has been bothering me, sort of like a dull pain when I breath in and almost a sort of burning feeling.  I went to the doctor, they said I don't have bronchitis or phenumia (sorry for the spelling).  I am not coughing at all.  But I also seem to feel a shortness of breathe lately.

Then I did some researching since I just got the tub about a month ago and I have the tub indoors in my garage.. my tub has a CD ozone system in it, and when I take the cover off I can smell a whole bunch of ozone.  Plus I use Dichlor but I don't think I have any issues with chlorine because I have been in many many public pools, hottubs, etc. where the chlorine levels were much higher without any problems.

So I read online that Ozone can cause the systems I am having such as chest pain and shortness of breath.  I am wondering if anybody here has ever experienced this or know anybody that has?

Thanks all!

btw.. what can I do to elimate breathing in ozone when I first take the cover off of my hottub... since the tub is indoors I don't really have anywhere for the ozone to go but just sit in the room.

Hot Tub Forum

Does Ozone cause upper respirtory problems?
« on: November 09, 2007, 05:53:56 pm »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: Does Ozone cause upper respirtory problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 06:05:33 pm »
Over the past 10 days my upper chest in my lungs has been bothering me, sort of like a dull pain when I breath in and almost a sort of burning feeling.  I went to the doctor, they said I don't have bronchitis or phenumia (sorry for the spelling).  I am not coughing at all.  But I also seem to feel a shortness of breathe lately.

Then I did some researching since I just got the tub about a month ago and I have the tub indoors in my garage.. my tub has a CD ozone system in it, and when I take the cover off I can smell a whole bunch of ozone.  Plus I use Dichlor but I don't think I have any issues with chlorine because I have been in many many public pools, hottubs, etc. where the chlorine levels were much higher without any problems.

So I read online that Ozone can cause the systems I am having such as chest pain and shortness of breath.  I am wondering if anybody here has ever experienced this or know anybody that has?

Thanks all!

btw.. what can I do to elimate breathing in ozone when I first take the cover off of my hottub... since the tub is indoors I don't really have anywhere for the ozone to go but just sit in the room.

I think the effects of Ozone on Asmhatic people is temporary (like an alergy) so any long term effects sound more like a "change of seasons" cold than they do an asamthic condition
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 07:23:29 pm »
It depends on your own personal sensitivity level to ozone. A sensitivity level that can change at any time.

The only way to eliminate breathing of the ozone, is to disconnect the ozonator.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TubsAndCues

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 07:53:18 pm »
If you are only having the problem when you are in your tub or just after using it, you may also want to check your pH.  If you haven't adjusted pH or total alkalinity in a while, you may be running on the acidic side.  I do know of my own customers who have said it was hard to breathe in their tubs.  When I tested their water, the pH was very low.  Basically (haha, bad pun, I know) they were sitting in and breathing in acid.

orbitaljoe

• 2007 J480...        It's a Jiquewzy, Hon
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 01:40:12 pm »
Although, a few of the web pages for companies that sell ozonators do stress that they are for outdoor use only!
Must be a reason

ie.   http://www.spaguts.com/Ozonators.aspx?spaozonatorreplacements&gclid=CKmw3sf10o8CFSBMGgoduQgL9g

(look just above the plug types)
Lovin' Jacuzzi
   Joe
Ain't the beer cold!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 01:57:48 pm »
Check this out:
http://www.air-zone.com/ionsvsozone.html#freshsmell

I was looking for information about air ionizers and came across this. Apparently you can buy ozone generators for your house too...

Just wondering Squale, do you use the tub with the air on? sometimes when we have our jets on with the air full open, you can see tiny water droplets dance on the water surface, and it makes me cough. I use Bromine and maybe that is why, but I wonder if the airborne particles are more irritating and easier to breathe when they are dancing on the water...just a thought :-/

Also, you may have something totally unrelated to the ozone or chemicals in your tub. Is there any chance that the moisture from your tub is allowing mold to breed in your garage?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

TubsAndCues

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 02:17:56 pm »
Good thought on the mold.  I never even thought about that, but I know in our part of the country we've had a big problem with black mold.  I know a lot of people that developed allergies when they never had them before.

Pathfinder

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 02:41:57 pm »
Not to scare you but you may want to look at these to articles as well. This is why I dont recommend tubs indoors

http://www.njc.org/news/y2000/news49.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/11/021113071126.htm

C-MeToasty

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 02:43:18 pm »
Oh geez  :o

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 03:07:14 pm »
According to the EPA with regards to air cleaners...

Potential risk of experiencing:
Decreases in lung function
Aggravation of asthma
Throat irritation and cough
Chest pain and shortness of breath
Inflammation of lung tissue
Higher susceptibility to respiratory infection

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 04:34:32 pm »
Not to scare you but you may want to look at these to articles as well. This is why I dont recommend tubs indoors

http://www.njc.org/news/y2000/news49.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/11/021113071126.htm

Hot tub lung does seem to be a much larger issue for indoor tubs than  outdoor.

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 06:19:07 pm »
well the tub is in my garage and whe I use it I usually open the big garage doors.  The garage does get a bit humid, the windows on my car inside the garage fog up, but the walls still feel dry.  When I am done using the tub I open the big garage doors fully to let all the humidity vent out.  I don't think I have any sort of a mold problem.  I would see the black mold first off, and secondly the walls would feel damp after using the tub which they don't.

as far as hot tub lung and the bacteria that causes it, I don't see how this is possible when my tub has Ozone, N2 mineral cartridge and I put Dichlor in it everyday.  I would think my water should be pretty clean and free of bacteria.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 06:59:23 pm »
Squale, Maybe what you are experiencing has nothing to do at all with your tub..maybe you have a new allergy.  Think of other things that have changed lately..like where you work or just the seasonal changes in general. You may be looking to blame the tub when there is really no connection at all...I am saying this because I tend to do the same thing and more times than not, my first solution is not the right one.

The mold came to mind because we have a summer beach house that remains unheated all winter. Whenever I spend time down there, I get this upper respiratory thing that is a tickle cough and eventually my voice gets raspy and I wheeze alot. I know it is from the mold in the house. I have sprayed with all sorts of stuff but it must be in the walls and furniture. It is not, however visible on anything.   It goes away after a few days away from the place.

Keep exploring, I bet it is not your tub at all.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 07:30:23 pm »
yeah not sure what it is.. went to the doctor yesterday, did a oxygen test which was fine, did an EKG which was fine, took bloodwork, also sent me to get chest x-rays, don't know the outcome of this yet.  The doctor said he doesn't hear any sort of bronchitis or anything and I don't have a cough or fever.  I have to stop smoking those damn cigars, the pain I have in my chest is like what you get when you take too big of an inhale on a cigar or something, it's this burning pain feeling that I've had for almost 2 weeks now.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 07:30:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42