What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Remote temperature monitoring/wind  (Read 5830 times)

Tonyf

Remote temperature monitoring/wind
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:00:20 am »
The location for our new spa takes advantage of our great view off the deck. The problem is the occassional strong winds and their affect on the cover and spa. To give the spa and cover some protection, I could have installed removeable stockade fencing on hinges or put a canvas cover over the spa. I opted for the canvas cover, and it is easy to slide on and off when heavy winds are predicted. I  saw hurricane straps that could be added over the top, but in the winter when the wind is strong and temperatures are in the 10 degree range, hopefully the canvas will also lessen heat loss.

I had the spa covered the last two days for 40 mph winds and grew concerned that if the GFI tripped, how would I know the spa if the spa was heating. Does anyone know if there is any remote temperature monitoring systems out there? I remember seeing one spa at a dealership that had a panel located on the side of the spa showing that it was operational. Any ideas?
Tony

Hot Tub Forum

Remote temperature monitoring/wind
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:00:20 am »

Webini

Re: Remote temperature monitoring/wind
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 11:49:35 am »
What you need is a wireless thermometer with a temperature probe.  I went through this last year as I was concerned in Maine that during the winter if the GFI tripped I would have freezing issues with the spa.

I tried several different models with several that just totally failed.  What I found that worked was a two part solution.

I got the Oregon Scientific BAR122HGLA base and the THC268 remote sensor.  I just ran the sensor wire up the side of my tub, under the cover and into the filter well.  The sensor transmits the temp to the base once every 15 seconds I think.  Very accurate and no issues at all.  The base also comes with a wireless remote for air temp and humidity.  I have that outside as well.  So with the push of a button I can see the outside temp and humidity and the tub temp.  And the base sets the time via the Atomic Clock.

The biggest issue with the Oregon Scientific was figuring out what base station worked with the THX268 remote sensor.  Different sensors work on certainly frequencies only and the base has to match.

More info here: http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=18&scid=73&pid=224.  If you do a Google search you should be able to find both pieces total for under $60.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 11:52:48 am by Webini »

Lars

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 02:50:52 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to just wire a light into the 240v circuit?

I mean, if you trip the breaker, by the time you notice anything on a temp probe, it's been awhile.

Tonyf

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 02:53:19 pm »
Thanks for sharing your research and conclusion on the Oregon models. I th9ught about this as an option, but wasn't sure if the what would be needed for the wet enviornment. I will give it a try.
Tony

Webini

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:53:25 pm »
Wouldn't it be easier to just wire a light into the 240v circuit?

I mean, if you trip the breaker, by the time you notice anything on a temp probe, it's been awhile.

I like the ability to monitor the temp.

What if the GFI is OK but there is another problem with the tub that kills the heater?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:54:13 pm by Webini »

Tonyf

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:57:15 pm »
Lars:  That is also a great idea. My enighbor is an electrician and I will ask him what is involved to hook up a small light. I don't know if it would, but I was also thinking of putting a light buld in the control housing in the winter as an added protection against freezing.
Tony

Lars

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 04:03:25 pm »

I like the ability to monitor the temp.

What if the GFI is OK but there is another problem with the tub that kills the heater?
Well, there is that. So do both.

But how much protection do you want to buy before you just go open the cover and stick a finger in there?  ;)

Webini

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:06:59 am »
Well, there is that. So do both.

But how much protection do you want to buy before you just go open the cover and stick a finger in there?  ;)

Uh, about $60 worth.  You obviously have never spent a winter in Maine!  :)

Lars

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 02:10:43 pm »
Try Minnesota.

Gonna soak in the snowflakes tonight.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 02:12:30 pm by Lars »

Webini

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 03:48:36 pm »
Try Minnesota.

Gonna soak in the snowflakes tonight.  ;D

Touche!

Tonyf

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 05:29:39 pm »
Did you worry about the controls/ pumpcompartment freezing in Minnesota?

Webini, where did you get your temperature probes?
Tony

Lars

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 05:50:34 pm »
Nah, it's all electrical.  Do you worry about the street lights freezing up?  The pump itself has hot water going through it, can't get that cold.

Now, the oil in the truck, that I worry about.  Wish it had a 24 hour circ pump.  ;)

Tonyf

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 06:03:10 pm »
My spa runs twice a day for filtering and I was concerned about water pipes freezing that are in the control area. We don't have street lights in the country, so I never worried about them freezing.

Webini

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 07:36:27 pm »

Lars

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 09:55:24 am »
My spa runs twice a day for filtering and I was concerned about water pipes freezing that are in the control area. We don't have street lights in the country, so I never worried about them freezing.
Ah.

Can you add a 24 hr circ pump?  Takes a lot for moving water to freeze.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 09:55:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42