What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: N2 as a sanitizer  (Read 4231 times)

Steelerpete

N2 as a sanitizer
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:39:58 am »
Hi everyone, I'm looking to change my sanitizer to the N2 and I'm using Bromine right now so do I have to dump my water and start fresh? What is dichlor? What is MPS shock? Plus can I get this product shipped to Canada because it's not sold here. All advice would be great. :) :)

Hot Tub Forum

N2 as a sanitizer
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:39:58 am »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Re: N2 as a sanitizer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:28:00 am »
Hi everyone, I'm looking to change my sanitizer to the N2 and I'm using Bromine right now so do I have to dump my water and start fresh? What is dichlor? What is MPS shock? Plus can I get this product shipped to Canada because it's not sold here. All advice would be great. :) :)

N2 is NOT a sanitizer.  Nature2 is a metal-ionization system.  Rather, it is a SUPPLEMENT to a conventional sanitizer such as dichlor.  The best way to think of it is to compare it to any of the number of air ionizer's that are sold on the market today (sharper image, etc) where they marketer claim that it further purifys your air you breath.  Notice how they don't tell you to stop using an air conditioner at all when the advertise the Ionizers.  In fact, they don't mention anything like that at all. N2 is the same thing, an augmentation to a process.  Little more.  Kinda like taking vitamins.  Do you have too?  No.  Would it be good if you did?  Maybe.  Does it cost more?  Yep, you betcha!   Di-chlor is chlorine for hot tubs (as opposed to tri-chlor which is for pools).

I used to be a proponant of N2 and still think it might have some advantages but to be honest, I didn't find any reason to increase the financial cost of operating a tub (i.e. it doesn't save any $'s on sanitizer).
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:20:44 am »
Actually, Nature 2 was recently reclassified by the EPA as a sanitizer.  However, I would never ever use it as my sole source of sanitation.

This is from the Nature 2 website:

When used with MPS, the most recommended oxidant for spas, Nature2 Spa becomes the only EPA approved complete, non-chlorine sanitizing system.

Steelerpete, I don't think N2 can be sold in Canada.  I don't know why I'm thinking that, it just seems that I've heard that before.  Dr. Spa could probably let you know that for sure.  It is a good three-part system.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:39:10 am »
Just to preface my comments, we are a huge Nature2 proponent and recommend it to all of our spa cover owners.

Zodiac did just have Nature2 reclassified as an approved sanitizer when used with MPS dosing.  However, I do think that the marketing guys over at Zodiac are pushing it a bit.  It's approved because their operating instructions do call for some dichlor "as needed", not because it's a chlorine-free solution.  We recommend the Nature2 + MPS dosing + twice a week dichlor (small amount) shocking.  We still think this is a better solution for making our spa covers last longer than not using the Nature2 stick and just more chlorine.

As for Canada, mineral sticks can't be sold up there because the government of Canada doesn't recognize metals as helping sanitation.  It's difficult to market around the fact that the government says it doesn't work.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 10:58:18 am »
Hi everyone, I'm looking to change my sanitizer to the N2 and I'm using Bromine right now so do I have to dump my water and start fresh? [glow]In this case, yes (any time you go from bromine to a chlorine based system.[/glow]

What is dichlor? [glow]It simply is the term for spa chlorine (trichlor being pool chlorine).[/glow]

What is MPS shock? [glow]Non-chlorine shock, aka Monopersulfate and other chemical abbreviations..[/glow]

Plus can I get this product shipped to Canada because it's not sold here. [glow]Not unless things have changed in the past month. [/glow].

I'm a proponent of N2 also as a supplement to chlorine. It will not pay for itself in reduction of chems used but it will make water care maintenance easier (same reasoning for using ozone IMO).

If that is worth $10 or so a month to you (as it is to me) then I think N2 is a nice addition to chlorine based system.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:01:06 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

anne

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 02:27:45 pm »
I'm with Spatech- I dont kid myself that I get to use less chlorine, but I do think that keeping my tub sparkling clean is easier, and it seems to have more forgiveness, if, (gasp) I go a few days not getting in it, so it misses a chlorine dose here and there.  I have had my tub for a bit under 2 years now, and about 1/2 that time I have used N2, and 1/2 I have not, and I honestly like it better with it.
Dance like nobody's watching

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 02:57:11 pm »

This is from the Nature 2 website:

When used with MPS, the most recommended oxidant for spas, Nature2 Spa becomes the only EPA approved complete, non-chlorine sanitizing system.

I just don't believe that Nature2 has become a registered sanitizer on the level of chlorine, bromine and biguanides as their website is leading us to believe.  I would need more than just quotes from the company to give it legitimacy.  I believe they have received some kind of approval from the EPA as a bacteriacide or some other like approval (as many systems have), but not as a sanitizer.  I know they use the word sanitize on their site, but fall short of sanitizer and call it a sanitizing system.  I think it is a play on words and if so may be a little disingenuous.  I may be dead wrong here, but if it were truely a sanitizer it would be huge news.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 03:52:23 pm »
I'm with tony on this one. Having dealt with non-approved sanitizers and the EPA (while they didn't break down my door, they were flashing guns and badges... and one of them would have been IDEAL for the picture of the day here  :o ) I can tell you they're a REAL stickler on wording. There are very specific ways you can NOT word something that is not a registered sanitizer, but there is a HUGE gray area. While some words are specifically not allowed, other are simply questionable. How "questionable" depends on how much you want, or are able, to fight the EPA. As they told me, "There's a huge gray area as to what you are allowed to say about a non-registered non-approved product. Our job is to keep you as far out of that gray area as possible".
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Steelerpete

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 05:05:13 pm »
Hi everyone, my tub has ozone and yes I know I have to use chlorine to help sanitize the tub but I think I'm having a reaction to the bromine and I'm looking for other options. I've read that the levels of free chlorine are so low when you are using the tub that this might be the way to go. Any more advice would be great!!!!

:) :)

Pete

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 06:02:26 pm »
Hi everyone, my tub has ozone and yes I know I have to use chlorine to help sanitize the tub but I think I'm having a reaction to the bromine and I'm looking for other options. I've read that the levels of free chlorine are so low when you are using the tub that this might be the way to go. Any more advice would be great!!!!

:) :)

Pete

I think you should go the dichlor route for the reasons you mentioned, you simply give it a dosage after getting out and the levels of dichlor when you go in the next time are not usaully too high.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Steelerpete

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 05:45:51 pm »
Do I have to do a drain and restart if I'm going from Bromine to the N2 and Dichlor method of sanitizing?

Thanks,

Pete

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 05:52:40 pm »
Do I have to do a drain and restart if I'm going from Bromine to the N2 and Dichlor method of sanitizing?

Thanks,

Pete
Yes.

Then, with Nature2 you want to drain every 4 months.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

TubsAndCues

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 06:52:26 pm »

Thanks,

Pete

Yeah, you do need to drain if you're going to switch.  Primary reason is that the bromine can react with the silver in the N2 and cause it to fall out of solution which can cause staining.  If you've ever had your silver jewelry turn black after sitting in a bromine tub, you understand the concept.

For the record, I love the N2 system, but I don't recommend it for people with large bather loads.  I also think it works best with ozone.  Bromine is my second choice, but that's because I'm lazy and don't want to add dichlor all the time.  I like using a floater.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 06:52:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42