What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa not funtionion correctly/Or is it?  (Read 4857 times)

tinybubbles

Spa not funtionion correctly/Or is it?
« on: November 05, 2007, 12:00:47 pm »
I mentioned this is another thread, but thought I'd start a new one about it.  I bought an Artesian spa with Balboa VS controls.  It has a 24 hour circulation pump, but it does NOT operate 24 hours a day.  It only operates during filtration cycles.  My dealer sent a service guy out to look at it, but he checked it DURING a filtration cycle and reported back that the circ. pump is working.  Well, it's always worked during filtration cycles.  Therefore, my waterfountain only works during a filtration cycle.  Any idea what could be wrong?  Could something be plugged into the wrong slot in the controller?  I noticed in the DIP switches there is one that says non/circ pump with filter.  It is in the on postion, which looks like it is the circ pump with filter position.  Should I try switching this.  My dealer is due to call me back today, but I'd like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible.  

Hot Tub Forum

Spa not funtionion correctly/Or is it?
« on: November 05, 2007, 12:00:47 pm »

clover

Re: Spa not funtionion correctly/Or is it?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:21:04 pm »
This would be a good time to read the owner's manual.  Your knowledge and understanding of the system is very limited.  It is kind of like a VCR, sometimes it does things you think it should or shouldn't.  Your best resourse would be 1) your owner's manual, 2) your dealer, or lastly 3) the manufacturer, or Balboa.

It is not unusual for the service man to not find a problem with something that is operating normally.  Of course, your interpretation is that it is not operating normally.  There are different settings such as "standard" or "economy" that would cause your symptoms to be NORMAL operating conditions for a particular mode.

No big deal, it just take time to become oriented to "proper operation" of the system that you are not familiar with.

If you wish to be armed with as much information or knowledge as possible, read your owners manual and understand the unique differences under which your spa operates.  Nothing is plugged into the wrong slot.  I would not recommend changing anything until you have reviewed the owners manual.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

tinybubbles

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:51:32 pm »
I have read and reread the owner's maual.  I have, also, been told by the dealer that the circulation pump should be running 24 hours a day.  My knowledge and understanding of the system is not very limited.  In fact, the man who did my orientation said I knew more about the system than he did.  My dealer was incredibly upset at his service person's ignorance for saying the system was operating correctly, when clearly it is not.  As I stated, I have already contacted my dealer, but was attempting to gain further insight while I waited for his call.  I have also contacted Balboa, but I can't go any further with this until I am at home.  This is, in fact, a forum for spa owners and dealers.  Therefore, I am using it as an additional "resourse" (of course, I say resource), as you put it.  I see no point in you responding, as you gave me absolutely no helpful or useful information.   A 24 hour circulation pump should run 24 hours a day!

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 03:01:24 pm »
I doubt very much that the owners maual (the educated world says manual) goes into specific detail concerning dip switch configurations which dictate control sequences. A 24 hour circulation pump merely has the ability to run 24hrs, not the inclination. The processor may indeed be set up incorrectly from the factory, but only a qualified technician can determine that. It's not recommended that you make dip switch changes without full understanding of their function and possible effect on your warranty status.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:02:35 pm by Repeat_Offender »
Bullfrog 562

clover

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 03:45:20 pm »
Well then, I am glad you have covered all the angles, and that should answer all of your questions.  But, you state, "Spa not functionion (sic) correctly / Or is it", seems to question whether it is, or is not, and apparently your dealer and the serviceman seem to be in conflict over the issue and aren't sure either.

I am sorry if my response offended you in some way, but circ pumps DO operate on different logic patterns even in the same spa depending on the program, and not all spas operate with the same logic. On a number of different spas, the circ pumps will shut down even if they are programmed for 24hr operation, but only IF the actual water temperature is 2° higher than the requested temperature, the circ pump WILL defintely shut down and not run.   Apparently, the dealer and the service person differ in their opinions as well, but I am sure they can figure it out for you.  You can always call upon them for advice on your issues.

And, congratulations on having read your owners manual, not everybody does.  You obviously have done everything to inform yourself and to understand the intricacies of your system and it's operation.  But then, I wouldn't go changing any DIP switches without the knowledge of what they are for.  

By the way, misspellings (or typo's) are common, as you can see in your own heading.  We don't mean to make them, but they happen.  Nevertheless, it is so nice of you to point them out.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

tinybubbles

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 03:57:01 pm »
Exactly repeat.  I couldn't have said it better myself.  Reading an owner's manual and being familiar with your spa, does not include knowing if something was misprogrammed from the factory.  I am curious by nature and wanted to take things a step further.  In my case, I am not sure that my dealer is being honest with me, so I wanted to feel around. Thanks for the input about possibly voiding a warranty if you change dip switches.  I was just curious if it's setting could be responsible.  

tinybubbles

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 04:34:16 pm »
Clover, I was very offended.  I have gone to great lengths to educate myself, as much as possible, about spas.  I think, anyone, coming to a forum like this, is going above and beyond.  I'm not sure why you chose to assume that I could not be having a genuine issue and must be uninformed.  I don't know why you assumed that everything was functioning properly, except for my brain.  You didn't suggest that, maybe, I should do more research.  You made the bold claim "your knowledge and understanding of the system is very limited".  This could not be farther from the truth.  It is because of my knowledge, that I know something is not right.  Since my previous post, someone was able to get the needed info off my control panel and speak to Balboa.  The dealer is telling me one thing, the dealer another.  Obviously, I am perturbed at spending so much money and possibly not getting exactly what I was supposed to get.  Hopefully, this is not the case.  You are right about the typos, I was disturbed by your post and lashed out.  I apologize for that.  Thank you for your apology.  Just don't be so quick to assume that all consumers are uneducated.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 08:38:11 pm »
Unfortunately, since they are now Balboa controls, us older Artesian people can't help you. The Island series I have has a very simple Gecko controlller and the circ pump just runs 24/7/365 and the only thing that can change is the ozone time.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:38:55 pm by Vinny »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 08:38:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42