What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa coming on Sunday:  What should I look for  (Read 5520 times)

solo

Spa coming on Sunday:  What should I look for
« on: October 26, 2007, 04:47:12 pm »
Are there any common problems that new spas might have?  I will take receipt of the spa on Sunday afternoon.  The electrician wires it on Monday morning.  What  common problems do people tend to have right out of the blocks?  Jacuzzi J-365.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa coming on Sunday:  What should I look for
« on: October 26, 2007, 04:47:12 pm »

Tonyf

Re: Spa coming on Sunday:  What should I look for
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »
A few suggestions would be:

1. Make sure there are no chips or deep scratches in the fiberglass shell.

2. Look the cabinet over for poorly fitted sides.

3. If you can see the bottom, check to see if there are any places critters could get in for the winter and put wire mesh over the spots.

4. Check the union connections by the pumps to make sure they are hand tight.

5. Make sure the drain connection is closed ( and working ok prior to delivery)

6. Have the electrician check the ground fault operation after wiring the spa.

7. Highly recommend that after filling the spa, take a water sample to the dealer and have them check the water PRIOR TO YOU ADDING ANY CHEMICALS.  (I have well water for the house, but since our water table is so low this year, I had water delivered that was supplied by the local municipality. THE WATER TEST INDICATED THAT THE TWON WATER WAS EXTREMELY LOW IN CALCIUM HARDNESS and I had to add 2 1/2 cups of Spa Calcium Hardness increaser. Also, the total Alkalinity was very low and I had to add baking soda to bring it up. Once I did that the pH was in normal range. Once that was done, they had me wait 24 hours before adding di Chlor and EZ Spa.

8. The Caldera has vent grooves in one area of the bottom skirt, so I put wire mesh over the area to prevent mice from getting into the tub. We live in the country and they are always looking to gain squatter rights on other peoples property. JUST HOPE THE BLACK BEAR HIBERNATES SOON so we don't have to share any beer with him.

9. The Spa inSPAration Eucalyptus frragrance is fantastic.

The new platform I added to the deck held the spa and the weight of five friends, so now we don't have to loose any weight.

Just a few ideas, I'm sure others have more thoughts.
Tony

Seahawk

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 05:37:11 pm »
Not having enough time to enjoy the spa on monday.  

Having the electrician wire the spa correctly tends to be the most common problem I've seen with new spas.  

Remember, solo, your spa was tested at the factory, and barring the delivery guys from factory to dealer and then dealer to you didn't damage spa, you should be soaking by early monday night.  

So kick back, relax, and get ready to enjoy your new spa!

104 degrees

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 05:51:45 pm »
Are there any common problems that new spas might have?  I will take receipt of the spa on Sunday afternoon.  The electrician wires it on Monday morning.  What  common problems do people tend to have right out of the blocks?  Jacuzzi J-365.

Make sure the insulation in the equipment room is stuck to what they sprayed it to.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
Re: Spa coming on Sunday:  What should I look
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:52:28 pm »

This is never a good sign!

-SpaMan~

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 05:56:40 pm »
 Remove filters fill it with water,throw in a couple caps of chlorine, when full hit the power let it heat up and enjoy.    I would suggest looking the spa over for any obvious damage.   Take two margaritas with the wife call us  in the morning.

Tom

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 06:06:27 pm »
What  common problems do people tend to have right out of the blocks?  Jacuzzi J-365.
Over-managing the water seems to be an issue for some folks during the first few weeks.  Relax, you'll figure it out, it's no harder than making a good cup of coffee.   What?  Okay, skip that one...

If your dealer offers a "spa school", take advantage of it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 09:40:57 pm »

If your dealer offers a "spa school", take advantage of it.

My dealer offered a spa school ... he said I knew too much already! ;D

Actually once the spa is in and heated the real worry begins ... who's using the tub when your not there! :-?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 09:42:16 pm by Vinny »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:46:33 pm »
Solo, make sure it's factory wrapped and not a demo model. Don't go overboard with the water chemistry at first--plenty of time for that later. Remember it's the same water as your bath tub.

Oh, tip the delivery crew if they do a great job.....
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 10:47:05 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Doobiewah

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 12:09:58 am »
Solo,

In my research with friends, the biggest problem I've heard form them regarding any top line spa (like yours) is small chips and scratches they don't notice until the delivery people are gone.  Some of them have had trouble getting the dealer out and if any are below the waterline...well, I'm sure you can figure that out.  A friend just recently had a delivery and found a chip that took their dealer a week to come out and sand/polich out.  It was below the waterline and he couldn't fill until they came and fixed it.

HTH

The Doob
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:10:48 am by Doobiewah »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 08:37:48 am »
When and if they have the spa up on it's side, check out the ProPolymer Foundation. It's the one piece, extremely durable, plastic bottom that completely encloses the bottom of the spa. It's a nice touch.

Tonyf

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 12:25:38 pm »
What cover lifter are you getting with the spa?  Are the delivery people going to install it for you or will you have to do this yourself? If they install, make sure they don't split any wood, usually it is better to predrill for the screws.

solo

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 09:40:44 am »
OK...my J-365 should be herer today by 3pm.

1.  Gonna make sure it is shrink wrapped from the factory.

2.  Will look over for any chips and scratches in fiberglass.

3.  Will have the dealer install the cover lifter.  I got the one that feels hydraulic that sits up high.  

Should I wait to fill it until the electrician finishes the wiring?  

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 11:27:58 am »
No harm in filling it right away, that will give you a chance to check for standing leaks before you waste money heating up all the water. It also gives you a chance to check for a level water line.
Bullfrog 562

IlliniFan

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 12:19:10 pm »
Solo,
My J335 was perfect!  Hope yours is the same.  I did not fill it with water prior to getting electrician here.  I am glad I didn't because I find that I am going to move it slightly.  When using spa gloss and then treating cover, I found that I needed to leave more room around the back side to walk.  Just my opinion, but it was a good move for me to leave it empty.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 12:19:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42