What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: GFCI Tripping  (Read 7246 times)

rubadubeh

GFCI Tripping
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:51:36 pm »
We were in the tub tonite.  It has been raining most of the evening, but not hard...   After a hour in the tub, the GFCI trips.  I reset it and about 10 minutes later it tripped again.  
 This is the first time since purchasing the tub over 3 years ago that the has GFCI tripped.
I just had the board replaced a month ago and the tub is working fine.

What are the most common causes of this?  What should I check?

TIA

Chris

Hot Tub Forum

GFCI Tripping
« on: October 26, 2007, 08:51:36 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: GFCI Tripping
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 09:14:08 pm »
Bad heater and bad GFCI are the two most common causes.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

rubadubeh

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 09:18:11 pm »
Bad heater and bad GFCI are the two most common causes.

Is there a way I can test to see what one it is?

loosenupspas

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 11:29:59 am »
disconnect the heater........disconnect the electrical from the spa pack.

rubadubeh

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 11:47:09 am »
I did a little experiment this morning.  @ 7:30 am I reset the GFCI and after the tub was finished purging, I immediately turned the heat down to 85 degrees.  (the actual temperature was 95)   I then ran the jet thru one cycle and let the tub sit idle untill 11am....  Everything still working fine.  I then turned the heat up to 98 degrees and within 2 minutes the GFCI tripped....  

Would this be a good indication that the heater is shot?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 11:51:12 am »
Do as Loose mentioned and disconnect the heater. Then turn spa on and see if GFCI still trips. If it doesn't, it's probably the heater. Spa techs, does this sound accurate?

loosenupspas

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 12:20:41 pm »
By yourn turning the heater off virtually, that was good.  You are on the right track. Disconnect it then reset the breaker.  Turn on the tub and leave it running, if there is no shorting then you are looking at the heater.  If you disconnect all the wires that connect to the spa pack, thus no electrical is entering the tub and the breaker trips after you set it....your problem is on the electrical side of the system.  A pump can overhead too, draw too many amps and cause a trip.....this isn't likely but is possible.  By disconnecting the heater and there is still a trip, then unplug the pumps one at a time.  See if there is a trip then you are looking a pump.  Beyond that I'd call Coleman Tech support and have the diag my problem.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 01:18:31 pm »
99.9% sure its the heater by what you are describing.

rubadubeh

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 02:30:58 pm »
We just spent one hour in the tub with both pumps going on both high and low speeds... I did not turn the heat on.  The heat from the motors is enough in this weather to the heat up.

As some of you may remember a month ago I had a problem with the heater not working at all and the dealer replaced everything but the heater including the board, relays and flow switch.... Ironically. all of the parts replaced were about 6 months past warrenty and cost me $500. I still have a year warrenty left on the heater.  I am wondering if this problem is related?

The previous thread can be seen here:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1190853504/11#11

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 03:08:25 pm »
99.9% sure its the heater by what you are describing.

If I were a betting man (and I am) I would put my money on a faulty GFCI as I believe it is all the components together causing the Breaker to heat up and fail. A little test would be to disconnect something else like a pump or a blower and see if the the spa doesnt trip as if my theory is correct the breaker will not trip as the amperage has decreased there for the breaker will not heat up and trip. SO don't rule ut the heater so quickly. 8-)
-SpaMan~

rubadubeh

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 06:48:10 pm »
With zero pumps running, only the heater and 1/15th hp circ pump will cause the GFCI will trip.....  Not sure if this cancels out spaman's theory?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 07:03:14 pm »
With zero pumps running, only the heater and 1/15th hp circ pump will cause the GFCI will trip.....  Not sure if this cancels out spaman's theory?

Now, disconnect the heater.  If GFCI does not pop, it is the heater.

Call for service while heater is still under warranty.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 08:03:27 pm »

No as if the damage is done to the breaker it may just trip with anything. I leave my anti on the table and call the gentleman with the faulty heater bet.  ;)  This is soo like waiting for the river card to be turned. >:(
-SpaMan~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 08:03:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42