What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 5604 times)

magoomba

Newbie questions
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:02:07 pm »
Hey all.  Long time listern, first time caller...The lessons I've learned from browsing this site have been very helpful.  Thanks!

Very close to making a final decision, going with a Hot Springs.  Leaning towards the Grandee, but can't rule out the Vanguard.  We're a family of 5 (wife, me, 3 kids - 3, 5, 7) and we entertain family & friends a fair amount.  75-80% of the spa's use will be just wifey and me, but the other 20-25% will be a mix of us, kids and/or guests.  Probably rare to have more than 5 folks in the spa at one time, but can't rule it out, either.

First question:  How long should we expect to own a Hot Springs tub?  

I'm expecting long past the warranty period, but here's what I'm trying to decide:  Should we buy the Vanguard now, while the kids are small, and pocket the savings vs. Grandee, then upgrade in 7-8 years when the kids will likely use the tub a lot more?  Or should we just dive right into the Grandee and expect to own it for 15-20 years, or more.

Second question:  Does $9500 seem like a fair price for a Grandee, including a cover w/ lift, delivery, set-up and first year's chemicals?  We were quoted $8300 for the Vanguard, with the same.  This dealer has spent a lot of time with me and two neighbors had very good experiences with them.

Thanks again.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie questions
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:02:07 pm »

Spiderman

Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:50:44 pm »
Both are great tubs and will give your family many years of enjoyment.  IMO, based on your family size, I would go with the Grandee.  Five of you in the Vanguard will be very cozy, too cozy for some.  Both prices seem pretty good and it's good to hear your neighbor has had a good experience with your dealer; that's very important.  The extra $1000 you spend now for the Grandee over a 10 year period is around $8.50 more per month, even though you have to pay it all now.  Have you wet tested them, or even able to sit in them dry with your entire family?  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:55:59 pm »
Magoomba, I agree with Spiderman.  If you have 5 adults in a Vanguard, you'd better be VERY close friends!   ;D
I only have 2 small kids and I'm looking at the Vista or the Grandee.  I took another look at the Vanguard today -- dry, and it looks like it would be a bit small if we did have more than 4 pepole in it.
Mike

magoomba

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:43:03 pm »
Thanks for the prompt replies.

I've avoided the whole-family test, only b/c it would be tough to keep the kids in line and properly evaluate the tub.  They're all plenty big enough when I'm sitting in them myself!

I agree w/ your amortized cost over the life of the spa.  I was more worried about having an excessively big spa for the next 5-7 years.  If you're telling me that 4 can be tight in the Vanguard, then it sounds like the Grandee is for me.

So, what's the realistic lifespan of a Hot Spring spa?  10 years?  15?  Longer?

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 10:57:54 pm »
I know several people with hot tubs over 10 years old.  You might need to start replacing some of the mechanical parts at that point (heater, pumps, etc.) but they can last significantly longer than that.  A good friend of mine just bought a new cover and stained his wood skirt on his tub, and it's about 15 years old.  Still running strong!  And that's in IL -- cold winters and all!
Mike

Doobiewah

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 04:23:40 pm »
Magoomba,

I'm a newbie too, and my wife and I are seriously looking, like you, at HS tubs.  In our case, the Vanguard would better suit our needs as we probably will never have more than four in the tub at once and most (98+%)will be just the wife and I.  I remember one salesperson last month who said:  "I've been in the business 15 years and can't remember anyone every saying to me that they wished they would have bought a smaller tub."  Although her tubs were not what we were looking for, her statement seems to ring strongly of truth.  For just a little more, you'll have the tub best suited for the additional people (kids, included) that will be using your tub....and it sounds like that type of use will go up in the years to come.  Additionally, although our kids are all older, we've been to a friend's house where he has smaller kids and a larger tub.  They all seem to enjoy flitting about the larger tub and, IMHO, if our kids were smaller, I'd get the biggest I could as they seem to truly enjoy the additional room.

Just my .02; however, at a difference in price that is not that great, I'd strongly consider that Grandee as long as it won't break you and you have the room.  I'd hate to be happy with the smaller tub for a year or two then say:  "Gee, wish I had the larger tub now."

Good luck in your hunt.  Those prices seem pretty decent to me.  Let us know what decision you make.

The Doob

magoomba

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 11:56:30 pm »
All very valuable insight.  I'm going to go w/ the Vanguard.  I want to check out one more local dealer by the end of the week, just to make sure the price I've been quoted is in line.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Doob, with the "smaller tub" quote!

Thanks.

solo

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 08:03:06 am »
I just purchased my tub, so I can't speak to how long it will last from experience.  But I am hoping ot own my tub for at least 10 years.  That's one of the reasons why I took so much time in buying.

$9500 for a Grandee?  I didn't shop in that price range so I can't be certain.  But I did hear my local dealer quote over the phone that he would sell 2 grandee's to a customer for $9100 each.  However, this customer was picking up the spas himself.  Hope that helps.

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 08:27:07 am »
magoo - just my 2 cents here....I'd definitely go with the Grandee with the size of your family.  Down the road I think you'll be happy you did once they get a bit older.

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:12:38 am »
You can expect well over 10 years from a Hot Spring.  As long as you take care of the spa, it will last for a very very long time.  

I agree with the others, with your family size and entertaining, you'd be much happier in the Grandee.  

At $9500, you have a good price.  You might be able to get them down a little bit more, but you'll have to decide if you want to do the heavy negotiating.  I would say with what is being included, you are probably close to the bottom price.  Wouldn't hurt to see if he could go any further.  

Sometimes when you are in a position to offer cash, they'll give you a discount there.  If you finance, that costs the dealer percentage points.  He may be willing to give that to you rather than the finance company.

Good Luck.  You'll enjoy the Grandee.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 09:27:31 am »
You will be amazed on how much your little people will use the tub.  So if your thought is that they may not and you will upgrade when they are older........don't do it.  Buy the bigger tub now.  I have 4 kids and my youngest, 9 is the kid who used the tub the most.  Mostly with me, just hanging out.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 01:12:26 pm »
To answer your first question, I have customers that have had their HotSpring Spas almost 30 years.  You can get any part for any spa they have ever manufactured.  I don't know of any other major spa company that's been in business for any length of time that offers that.  In 22 years, we have never had to haul one of our spas to the dump.

To answer your second question, that is a good deal on the Grandee, about $800 or so less than we sell them.  If it were me, and it's not, I would get the Grandee.  If you buy a HS, you will never have to buy another spa, so get the one you want.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 02:33:33 pm »
My first tub, a 93 Prodigy, was 13 years old when I gave it to my brother who still has it.  Coming up on my first anniversary with the new Envoy next month.

Booha
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 03:17:31 pm »
 In 22 years, we have never had to haul one of our spas to the dump.

I have had a few Hot Springs hauled to the dump.  But yes they were old and rotten. And for what its worth  we have hauled a few old Jacuzzi's as well.

The winner for most hauled to the dump has to be Cal-spa! And they are heavy and not that old.

magoomba

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 04:01:01 pm »
Thanks again for all of the valuable feedback.  I meant to say I'm going w/ the Grandee...that post was late last night, I should've been asleep.

Now that I know I can expect a good, long life from a HS tub, the Grandee is a no-brainer for me.  I appreciate the feedback on the pricing, too.  This dealer is very reputable, and only a few miles from my home.  Spas are not their only business, but they have a stellar reputation on both their spa and their other business as well.  Family owned, decades in business, etc, etc.

I'm so looking forward to getting this tub, for the therapy and the quality time w/ family.  I've always been very physically active with mountain bike riding and off-road motorcycling.  I need the spa to deal with the cumulative aches and arthritis so I can keep doing what I enjoy.

Hopefully I'll seal the deal by day's end on Friday.  I'll keep you all posted and let you know how it goes and provide my review and experience as a newbie so others may benefit from the experience.

Thanks again!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 04:01:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42