What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I almost bought the wrong tub!  (Read 7822 times)

solo

I almost bought the wrong tub!
« on: October 19, 2007, 04:27:01 pm »
I think I was lucky that things worked out the way they did.  I wasn't gonna share this with everyone, but I thought some might enjoy.

As many already know, I was waiting out my Hotsprings dealer to get an Evoy for $8000.  Funny thing is, I made him that offer prior to testing the tub I ended up buying (the J-365).  He turned this offer down more than once.  I then tested the J-365 and felt that it would also serve me well.  I went to the homeshow and got a pretty good offer on the J-365, but not quite what I wanted.  I decided to hold out.  Meanwhile, I took one more drive to test soak the Envoy one more time to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.  And in comparing the hydrotherapy that each tub provided, I figured out that the J-365 was really more of what I wanted.  So I left the Hotsprings dealer knowing that I could comfotably make a deal on the Jacuzzi and would have no regrets.  I also tested the Bullfrog one more time to make sure I wasn't making a mistake passing on them.  I go to my Jacuzzi dealer, take a 2nd test soak to make sure it's the tub I want,  she gets within $200 of my original price range and I buy the tub.

4 days later (today) my Hotsprings Dealer calls to tell me that he needs to move a floor model and that he can sell me the Envoy for my price range.  I told him that I already bought a Jacuzzi.  Funny thing is, a few weeks ago, when he didn't accept my offer I was a little upset.  But now, I actually am thankful that he didn't take my first offer because after sitting in both tubs a 2nd time, I realized that the J-365 was the right tub for me moreso than the Envoy.  

Funny how that worked out for the best!

PS...Not to say that the Envoy isn't a good tub because I think it really is nice.  I was just able to get the tub  better suited for me (hyrdotherapy wise) for less money.  

Hot Tub Forum

I almost bought the wrong tub!
« on: October 19, 2007, 04:27:01 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: I almost bought the wrong tub!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 04:45:59 pm »
I sold a gentleman an Envoy today for $9300.  I gave him a bit of a discount because he's a contractor.  He's happy, I'm happy, and his wife is extremely happy.  We're all happy, except I'm drunk and happy and full of Papa John's pizza!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

solo

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 04:55:51 pm »
I sold a gentleman an Envoy today for $9300.  I gave him a bit of a discount because he's a contractor.  He's happy, I'm happy, and his wife is extremely happy.  We're all happy, except I'm drunk and happy and full of Papa John's pizza!

Terminator

All I can say to that is congratulations!

If you sell half as many tubs as you claim to sell, you are shittin in tall cotton!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 05:06:55 pm »

All I can say to that is congratulations!

If you sell half as many tubs as you claim to sell, you are shittin in tall cotton!

Thank you.

One thing I never do is lie on this forum (unless it's about beer drinkin' or personal hygiene, in which cases I have been prone to some exaggeration).

Sold a hunnert and fitty three spas last year, gonna be real close to that again this year...just a beer swillin', spa sellin', picture postin' jive turkey am I!

Term

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 05:23:13 pm »
I think I was lucky that things worked out the way they did.  I wasn't gonna share this with everyone, but I thought some might enjoy.

As many already know, I was waiting out my Hotsprings dealer to get an Evoy for $8000.  Funny thing is, I made him that offer prior to testing the tub I ended up buying (the J-365).  He turned this offer down more than once.  I then tested the J-365 and felt that it would also serve me well.  I went to the homeshow and got a pretty good offer on the J-365, but not quite what I wanted.  I decided to hold out.  Meanwhile, I took one more drive to test soak the Envoy one more time to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.  And in comparing the hydrotherapy that each tub provided, I figured out that the J-365 was really more of what I wanted.  So I left the Hotsprings dealer knowing that I could comfotably make a deal on the Jacuzzi and would have no regrets.  I also tested the Bullfrog one more time to make sure I wasn't making a mistake passing on them.  I go to my Jacuzzi dealer, take a 2nd test soak to make sure it's the tub I want,  she gets within $200 of my original price range and I buy the tub.

4 days later (today) my Hotsprings Dealer calls to tell me that he needs to move a floor model and that he can sell me the Envoy for my price range.  I told him that I already bought a Jacuzzi.  Funny thing is, a few weeks ago, when he didn't accept my offer I was a little upset.  But now, I actually am thankful that he didn't take my first offer because after sitting in both tubs a 2nd time, I realized that the J-365 was the right tub for me moreso than the Envoy.  

Funny how that worked out for the best!

PS...Not to say that the Envoy isn't a good tub because I think it really is nice.  I was just able to get the tub  better suited for me (hyrdotherapy wise) for less money.  

It's just these types of "Oh, I have this now for a big reduction" calls that turn me off of salesmen (what did they call this attempt in the ThermoSpa's thread...).  The REAL reason he called was that he realized he was loosing the sale and it sounds like it was his "last ditch" effort.  He should have realized that opportunity went away "when you walked away".  IMHO, this is bordering on sleezy.  If he has a demo today, he had it two weeks ago as well and "should have" offered it then.  All IMHO of course.

The local Sun Dance dealer tried nearly the exact same crap on me after I had already decided to buy the Jacuzzi.  In my case I told him that he had missed his chance when he had it.  He actually asked me to cancel my J-370 and take the Cameo off his showroom.  I told him to go to ....

Glad to see you remain true to the Jacuzzi family, Solo!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 05:26:15 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 05:41:41 pm »
Yep ndabunka, that is a weak move on that dealer's part.  I realize that times are tough in the world of spas lately, but don't cave on prices in order not to lose a sale.  That's a slippery slope.

On the other hand, you have to watch out for some of these slick customers.  This old boy came in this morning telling me he was "ready to make a deal on that spa you showed me last week".  I remembered him because he had one helluva hot wife in tight white capri pants.

"Alright, that'll be $6995 if you have a doctor's Rx" says I.

"Hold on, wait a minute...you told me that spa was $6600."

"No sir, it's $6995.  Your name's Doo Lolly, right?" as I ease over to my quote sheet folder.

"Yeah.  Now you told me it was $6600.  I remember."

"Well, here's the quote sheet I gave you and here is where I wrote the price....$6995" I retorted.

"Oh...squat...ummm.....OK.  Do ya'll take checks?"

Term

solo

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 06:01:08 pm »

It's just these types of "Oh, I have this now for a big reduction" calls that turn me off of salesmen (what did they call this attempt in the ThermoSpa's thread...).  The REAL reason he called was that he realized he was loosing the sale and it sounds like it was his "last ditch" effort.  He should have realized that opportunity went away "when you walked away".  IMHO, this is bordering on sleezy.  If he has a demo today, he had it two weeks ago as well and "should have" offered it then.  All IMHO of course.

The local Sun Dance dealer tried nearly the exact same crap on me after I had already decided to buy the Jacuzzi.  In my case I told him that he had missed his chance when he had it.  He actually asked me to cancel my J-370 and take the Cameo off his showroom.  I told him to go to ....

Glad to see you remain true to the Jacuzzi family, Solo!

My read on the situation was similar.  I think he felt like he had me sold and that he didn't need to come down to my price.  We both knew the whole time that he could sell me that spa for $8000 if he wanted to.  He just felt like he didn't need to.  When he got wind through this board that I bought a jacuzzi, he made one last ditch effort and caved.  He shoulda caved while the deal was on the table.

In this case, his greed was my gain!

solo

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 06:19:06 pm »
Yep ndabunka, that is a weak move on that dealer's part.  I realize that times are tough in the world of spas lately, but don't cave on prices in order not to lose a sale.  That's a slippery slope.

On the other hand, you have to watch out for some of these slick customers.  This old boy came in this morning telling me he was "ready to make a deal on that spa you showed me last week".  I remembered him because he had one helluva hot wife in tight white capri pants.

"Alright, that'll be $6995 if you have a doctor's Rx" says I.

"Hold on, wait a minute...you told me that spa was $6600."

"No sir, it's $6995.  Your name's Doo Lolly, right?" as I ease over to my quote sheet folder.

"Yeah.  Now you told me it was $6600.  I remember."

"Well, here's the quote sheet I gave you and here is where I wrote the price....$6995" I retorted.

"Oh...squat...ummm.....OK.  Do ya'll take checks?"

Term

Gotta watch those slick dealers as well!  This guy asked me on 3 different occassions "what did I quote you".  He also tried to push me to a Tiger River.  He also tried to sell me a 2 year old Sovereign.  He also told me that one tub would feel very similar to another when they felt totally different.   He also told me he wasn't gonna be at the homeshow and when I went he was the first booth I saw.  You get the picture.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 07:17:27 pm »
I wouldn't have bought from him either.

On the other hand, one of the best customers I've ever had just left as the proud owner of a Tiger River Caspian.  He was a young guy wearing a t-shirt with gun pictures on it.  First thing out of his mouth was "sell me a hot tub".

We looked around, talked about guns and fight club (although we aren't supposed to) and other nonsense.  I showed him some pictures of a Caspian on the big screen TV, he liked it, so I asked him if he wanted to go ahead and get it.  He said yes.  Then I told him the price, and he said "That sounds great...I'm an easy customer."

Well, I liked that guy so much and he didn't hem and haw and say lemme think about it, he just wrote a check for the full amount.  So I gave him a cover lifter and a set of steps free because he was a good kid.

I would suggest that some of you folks reading this that are shopping for spas try this approach with your dealer.  Just pick the spa you want and be very nice and if they're kind and decent like myself, you will be rewarded.

Term

solo

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 07:48:44 pm »
Term...Texas is a great state, best in the Union in my opinion.  But you sure have some gullable (or just insanely rich) customers if they are paying full price.  Heck, my dealer gave me $1000 off and probably still made quite a bit on the deal.  You must be laughing all the way to the bank.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 08:30:39 pm by solo »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 08:10:39 pm »
I wouldn't have bought from him either.

On the other hand, one of the best customers I've ever had just left as the proud owner of a Tiger River Caspian.  He was a young guy wearing a t-shirt with gun pictures on it.  First thing out of his mouth was "sell me a hot tub".

We looked around, talked about guns and fight club (although we aren't supposed to) and other nonsense.  I showed him some pictures of a Caspian on the big screen TV, he liked it, so I asked him if he wanted to go ahead and get it.  He said yes.  Then I told him the price, and he said "That sounds great...I'm an easy customer."

Well, I liked that guy so much and he didn't hem and haw and say lemme think about it, he just wrote a check for the full amount.  So I gave him a cover lifter and a set of steps free because he was a good kid.

I would suggest that some of you folks reading this that are shopping for spas try this approach with your dealer.  Just pick the spa you want and be very nice and if they're kind and decent like myself, you will be rewarded.

Term

Wow, that's a good story. It's amazing how different people are. The Gun Kid and solo are about as opposite as you can be. I guess that's what makes the world go around.

Perhaps the Gun kid is making lots of cash and has more disposable income compared to solo. Did he say what he does for a living? Why didn't you steer him towards an Envoy?  :)

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 08:24:42 pm »
 I had a kid come in about a year ago, suped up car,lots of piercings kinda looked like he had a dont give a chit attitude.  Anyway he looked at the J-480 stereo and asked how much? I came back with 13,000 thinking no way in hell is this kid for real ::)  He asked when I could have it delivered? I said hows tomarrow work? He said wrap it up.

Seems his grandma died and left all her money to him :o  Quite a bit by the sounds of it.  Moral of the story ya just never know who might walk in your store and be ready to buy.

He was in the other day and is building a new house and will be ready for another spa :)

ndabunka

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 09:24:36 pm »

Wow, that's a good story. It's amazing how different people are. The Gun Kid and solo are about as opposite as you can be. I guess that's what makes the world go around.

Perhaps the Gun kid is making lots of cash and has more disposable income compared to solo. Did he say what he does for a living? Why didn't you steer him towards an Envoy?  :)

Gomboman - Your question puts a "bad" vision of a MasterSpa salesman in my mind.  It translates as this... "If he had money, why didn't you try to upsell him to a model that would make you (the salesperson) even more money?"  Not good.  A good salesman sells a customer what the CUSTOMER wants, not whatever makes the salesman more money.  Term obviously understands this and that is probably part of what enables him to sell 158 hot tubs/year whereas the "greedy" salesmen might be lucky to sell 30.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:39:20 pm by ndabunka »

ndabunka

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 09:36:45 pm »
I had a kid come in about a year ago, suped up car,lots of piercings kinda looked like he had a dont give a chit attitude.  Anyway he looked at the J-480 stereo and asked how much? I came back with 13,000 thinking no way in hell is this kid for real ::)  He asked when I could have it delivered? I said hows tomarrow work? He said wrap it up.

Seems his grandma died and left all her money to him :o  Quite a bit by the sounds of it.  Moral of the story ya just never know who might walk in your store and be ready to buy.

He was in the other day and is building a new house and will be ready for another spa :)

LOL - I actually dress down INTENTIONAL when shopping for big ticket items.  Went to the Benz dealership last week in a tee shirt that had a golf ball on it with eh words "Bite me" and had not shaved in three days (one of the benefits of working from home).  The technique worked pretty well as we didn't get accosted right away.  My mother in law is still kicking though so I maybe I didn;t qualify anyway!   ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:38:11 pm by ndabunka »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 12:15:06 am »

Gomboman - Your question puts a "bad" vision of a MasterSpa salesman in my mind.  It translates as this... "If he had money, why didn't you try to upsell him to a model that would make you (the salesperson) even more money?"  Not good.  A good salesman sells a customer what the CUSTOMER wants, not whatever makes the salesman more money.  Term obviously understands this and that is probably part of what enables him to sell 158 hot tubs/year whereas the "greedy" salesmen might be lucky to sell 30.

Sorry if you misunderstood ndabunka. I have an Envoy. It was a joke.

Did you see the smiley face?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 12:19:45 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 12:15:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42