What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub for short chunky women??  (Read 15982 times)

kelliat

Hot tub for short chunky women??
« on: October 08, 2007, 06:21:41 am »
I am a smidge over 5ft and no I haven't wet tested anything yet.  I am really looking at the Bullfrogs so far.  But a Tiger River has caught my eye too.  So I guess, what is a good depth to look at?  And are the neck cushions going to be over my head??

Thanks!

Kelli ::)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:25:26 am by kelliat »
Kelli

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub for short chunky women??
« on: October 08, 2007, 06:21:41 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Hot tub for short chunky women??
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 08:28:18 am »
Really, the only solution is for you to sit in some spas- wet test.

Also, if you find a spa you like, but it's a bit too deep, try other seats- they're not all the same height, and also there are "booster" cushions available that might also be of interest to you.

Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 09:21:51 am »
Really, the only solution is for you to sit in some spas- wet test.

There is occasionlly some debate on the merit of wet testing, but I think in this case is should be mandatory.  My tub is great for my 5'5 wife and I, we each love all the seats, but our 4'11 friend is only comfortable, barely, in one seat.

I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the depth rating is from the floor to the surface of the water. The depth at the seat level is what is important to you and they vary. From what I have seen, which is little, the Bullfrog may be a good place to start.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 09:23:41 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 09:30:23 am »
Bill, you're right about the seat heights. My Artesian is 36" tall but it's seats are all different depths and quite frankly wouldn't be good for a short person. My youngest who was about about 5' or so when we got the tub had a hard time in almost all the seats. Since he wasn't in there for relaxation it wasn't a big deal to him but if I had to struggle staying above the water - it would have been horrible.

I have seen some shallower tubs and maybe with this the seat depths are also shallow.

Patton

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 09:48:14 am »
Wet Test for sure.

My wife is 5' tall, but this isn't even the entire answer as one person at 5' tall and another at 5' tall is still not the same as people come in different varieties as far as dimensions. I mean that some people have long torsos and short legs while others vice versa. We wet tested several tubs and settled on the Artesian Dove Canyon. There is one seat in the tube that my wife has selected as her favorite. I like the seat very well, however she has a different experience in this seat than I do as she sits lower in the water and therefore gets a really nice neck experience that I do not. I still love the seat, but not in the way that she does. Short answer again, wet test. Additionally, as stated above be sure to sit in every seat because many times the depths vary from position to position.

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 10:58:43 am »
Kelli,

We have a Bullfrog 451 and my 5'1" wife is comfortable in most of the seats except the lounger.  The advise others have given about wet testing is dead right.  Only "you" can find the tub that is comfortable for "you".  Look around at a bunch of different tubs, find a few that you think you may like and wet test them.  Then let the wet test help make up you mind

Good luck in your search
Bullfrog 451

tinybubbles

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 11:18:20 am »
Booster seats are great.  They have pillows that you fill with water, which makes them adjustable.  It's a great way to make use of all the seats in your spa.  

bartyboy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 11:27:59 am »
If you're looking for a 2 or 3 seater  the Bullfrog 331 is a great choice. It is 31" tall
features 3 JetPaks and you get to choose from 16 different jet themes. I agree with other posters you should wet test and at least sit in the 451 as well.

One Mans Opinion. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 11:50:18 am »
I am a smidge over 5ft and no I haven't wet tested anything yet.  I am really looking at the Bullfrogs so far.  But a Tiger River has caught my eye too.  So I guess, what is a good depth to look at?  And are the neck cushions going to be over my head??

Thanks!

Kelli ::)

Depth is obviuosly VERY important for you. Be extra careful with the Bullfrog because by design their seats are all the same height whereas some spas will have varying depth seats.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 12:01:43 pm »
Incorrect. Bullfrog spas have seats of varying heights. The seatbacks are dimensionally equal to accomodate the jetpacks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:03:05 pm by Repeat_Offender »
Bullfrog 562

In Canada eh

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 12:20:59 pm »

Depth is obviuosly VERY important for you. Be extra careful with the Bullfrog because by design their seats are all the same height whereas some spas will have varying depth seats.

Spatech

Only the seat back or "jetpack plate" is the same size, all of the seats are different heights and angles
Bullfrog 451

In Canada eh

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 12:23:09 pm »
If you're looking for a 2 or 3 seater  the Bullfrog 331 is a great choice. It is 31" tall
features 3 JetPaks and you get to choose from 16 different jet themes. I agree with other posters you should wet test and at least sit in the 451 as well.

One Mans Opinion. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bartyboy,

Welcome to the forum, always good to see another Bullfrog owner posting here.  What model tub do you own?
Bullfrog 451

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 03:40:14 pm »
Wet Test for sure.

My wife is 5' tall, but this isn't even the entire answer as one person at 5' tall and another at 5' tall is still not the same as people come in different varieties as far as dimensions. I mean that some people have long torsos and short legs while others vice versa. on.

Great point, my 5'4 daughter has a very long torso,  and seems to sit comfortably in most tub seats.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 03:41:14 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 10:09:21 pm »
I have to agree with the test soaking....I ended up with a Tiger River Sumatran. I'm 5'3'' (well barely the 3") Only one seat in the spa is a bit deep for me. I ended up sitting in that seat cross legged and actually found it enjoyable as the side jets hit my legs.

What ever you choose do wet test. You may also want to test out one of the smaller Colemans. A really nice fit for shorter folks. My taller friends liked it also. It's a nice spa that has seats that fit many heights, shapes and sizes.

Good luck with your search.

kelliat

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 06:31:19 am »
No Coleman dealers for a couple of hundred miles.  I looked.  

I have looked online at the Tiger Rivers and I like those too.  I would say I have narrowed it down to try the Bullfrogs and those.  

Okay, this wet testing, Do I just call and say I want to wet test a few?  Seems kinda funny showing up in a swim suit...  But I am game if that is the normal thing.  I am so glad I didn't want to do that last week at the fair. hahaha.  

We live in Oklahoma and my husband is convinced the plumbing will freeze and we will have nothing but trouble... How do I answer this?  HELP!!  
Kelli

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 06:31:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42