What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with water treatment.  (Read 5958 times)

tinybubbles

Help with water treatment.
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:03:14 am »
Hi, I'm a new spa owner and loving it.  So far, taking care of the water has been a breeze.  I'm using chlorine and I just throw in 2 capfuls after soaking.  My question is:  What do you do when you are going to be away for several days?  It's not unusual for us to take 5-7 day vacations.  Should I add extra chlorine before I leave?

Hot Tub Forum

Help with water treatment.
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:03:14 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Help with water treatment.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:09:00 am »
You could do that, it's probalby okay for short periods of non use.

Then zap it again when you get back.
Brewman

jfish63

• 2002 HS Grandeee
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 01:04:02 pm »
Also turn the heat down. Higher temps burn up the chlorine

tinybubbles

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:06:08 pm »
Thanks for the help.  I hadn't thought about turning down the temp, good suggestion.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 06:13:45 pm »
Here's what I do that seems to work.

Hit it with a shock level of dichlor (10-12 PPM), turn down the heat as suggested, make sure the ozonator is running 24/7 (You have an Artesian I believe - you can change that timing), close and lock the cover (peace of mind only) and open up when I get home and hit it again with about 6 PPM and see how it is 20 minutes later.

My water typically stays clear under normal usage for 2 days but for some reason by doing the above I can get a week, I haven't gone longer - it may stay but may not.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:22:32 pm »
If I'm going for 2-3 days, I'll hit it hard with dichlor just before I leave...more than that and I ask a trusted friend to add dichlor every 3 days (about 2 tbsp.).  Some insurance companies require that your house be checked every 24-48 hours if you are gone more than 2 days anyway, so I just explain the pump operation to whoever is checking the house, and then I don't have to worry about it  :)

tinybubbles

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 10:04:44 am »
I figured that I would need to call on a neighbor for help during extended trips.  I just hate to be a burden.  Vinny, I already have my circ. pump running 24 hours, do you do this?

kimdupuie

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 10:26:50 am »
If you have the 24 hour circulation pump, does that automatically mean you have the ozonator?  Or is that totally different and you can have one but not the other?

tinybubbles

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 11:18:58 am »
You could have one without the other. :)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 12:54:50 pm »
Artesian's have the unique ability (?) to control the amount of time the ozonator runs. The circ pump will run for 24 hours a day but the ozonator may only run for 2 or not be running at all. It depends on your "filtering time".

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 01:01:18 pm »
If you have the 24 hour circulation pump, does that automatically mean you have the ozonator?  Or is that totally different and you can have one but not the other?

Ozonators are plumbed into the filtering line, whether you use a 24/7 circ pump or a two speed pump for filtering. Having a circ pump gives you the advantage of running ozone 24/7 but ozonators are typcially an option to add (some manufacturers make them standard on their upper models) and I personally would not go without one.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tinybubbles

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 10:48:14 am »
Holy Smokes.  Now I am confused!  I haven't had my orientation yet.  I just can't spare the time at work.  I assumed that the ozonator needed to run 24 hours a day, just like the circulation pump.  I thought (or think) that my circ. pump only runs during my filter cycle, which I have set for 24 hours.  The whole time that my circ is running, my ozonator is running.  Is this right?  

WooWho

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 11:57:00 am »
TinyBubbles - we just went away for a week (first time we left since we've had our tub) and I was on the fence as to how to handle....

After soaking I usually add 1Tbs dichlor to our tub which is just under 500 gal.  We can go 2-3 days w/out chlorine if we don't soak.   I was going to ask my dad come mid week and add a couple Tbs but decided instead to super chlorinate.  Just before leaving I added 4 Tbs of Dichlor and let the pumps run for 45 mins w/ cover open to off-gas.  Then locked 'er up and prayed. :)

Came home expecting to find cloudy water but it looked sparkling clear, not a hint of cloudiness.  We only had one test strip left so I assumed there was no chlorine left and added the normal 1Tbs.  Tested water 20 mins later and it was perfect!  We have a mineral cartridge, but no ozone.  

Didn't think to turn down heat signficantly (to minimze burning up the chlorine) but I did reduce to 98 or so to save energy.  Next time I'll probably reduce a lot more.  Good luck.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 12:12:56 pm »
Also turn the heat down. Higher temps burn up the chlorine

And nasty things grow faster in unattended hot water.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tinybubbles

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 12:56:45 pm »
Thanks woowho.  So WM, what temp would you recommend turning it down to?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 12:56:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42