What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: If you had to rank Hot tubs  (Read 48698 times)

C-MeToasty

Re: If you had to rank Hot tubs
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2007, 11:18:09 am »
Activate is a non-chlorine shock (peroximonopersulphate) and Hach makes strips to test for it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2007, 11:18:09 am »

C-MeToasty

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2007, 11:22:46 am »
my electric bill was 660 dollars a month and now with the new tub my last statement was 667.  I have heated floors, central air, central vac, and 2 saunas as well.  I am thinking about switching to solar power because my neighbor's electric bill with the pretty much the same things I have is 44 dollars a month.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2007, 01:19:27 pm »
I know activate is a non chlorine shock ::) what are you using for a sanitizer chlorine?nat2?enhance? Dont really care just curious?

Lars

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2007, 03:33:38 pm »
my electric bill was 660 dollars a month and now with the new tub my last statement was 667.  

:o

Well, can see why the extra $7 didn't bother you.

C-MeToasty

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2007, 03:43:00 pm »
My UV/Ozone water management system does 99.99% of sanitizing so I use 1oz of activate before or after each use and I need to treat my water with a mineral and scale preventer and that's it.  My tub stays prestiine.  My girl and I use it about 4-5 times a week for an hour or so.   Now I hear that all coleman models will  have that same sanitizer system for an upcharge for 2008.  Also now I am mad because now they will not only have perimiter lighting but lighting in the middle of the cabnet and now they are making an easier access point for the pumps rather than taking the whole panel off.  haha go figure but mabye in 10 years or so they will have even better stuff.  I don't like using the 2 part bromine system because I have to monitor the PH more frequently than I care too and than I get excessive foaming despite the calcium level.  I don't like anything with bromine because I used to use it in my old spa.   8-)

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2007, 03:49:20 pm »

My UV/Ozone water management system does 99.99% of sanitizing so I use 1oz of activate before or after each use and I need to treat my water with a mineral and scale preventer and that's it.  

Ozone should be used as a sanitizing supplement, NOT as a primary sanitizer. This is widely agreed upon by spa manufacturers and water experts alike.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 03:51:54 pm by Repeat_Offender »
Bullfrog 562

mike in arkansas

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2007, 04:15:54 pm »
I just read the first page and last page of this thread so maybe I missed this but I was wondering where Phoenix spas land in the ratings???  :-/

mike in arkansas
who says I am senile?

loosenupspas

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2007, 04:18:26 pm »
it is a UV light and a ozone water management system......UV light sanitizes the water killing virius, mirco-organisms and their ilk and the plasma ozone destorys the bateria.  It is a high tech two stage system......very slick.

C-MeToasty

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2007, 04:31:06 pm »
I understand what you are saying because I have had an ozone for years and years however this is an ELEKTRA AQUAMATIC made by Delta and is a mixture of Ozone/UV with a Clarifier system within.  EPA Registered #075659-CA-001.  99.99percent sanitizing and is in fact my primary source and I use Potasium Peroxymonopersulfate as an additive for that .1 percent doubt.  I also use Metal X for mineral and scaling.  This is how the system works:  Within the Elektra Aquamatic UV unit (which we will refer to throughout this discussion as EA), a high intensity electrically operated Ultraviolet (UV) bulb is located inside the unit's wet chamber.  This UV bulb gives off Ultraviolet light wave emissions when lit.  The bulb's operating emmissions range is within the Ultraviolet light wave spectrum at 253.7newtom meters of wavelength.  This wavelength is such that when bacteria, protozoa, viruses, algae spores, or other single celled waterborne microorganisms in the incoming water flow are exposed to the light waves of the UV bulb for a proper period of time, the DNA of the microorganism is altered or disrupted and this controls and eradicates these unwanted contamintes and renders them harmless.  The EA UV unit has been sized to produce these important UV rays in the same intensity as is required for Class A potable drinking water, which is 30 microwatts/sec/cm2.  While you may see lesser competitive units such as old Ozone or plasma clean zone units of similar vessel size claiming to work on larger spas or pools, you will find that these units do not operate at the same intensity as the other Ozon't do and are unable to obtain the same level of killing power as this EA Unit does.  Another words it combines the power of UVC light and Ozone, the same technology utilized in many communities around the world to purify drinking water.  It is the output of the lamp that meets required level specified by the US public health agency for class A drinking water.  But hay the downside is replacing that bulb every 2-3 years when loses its potency and costs about 20bucks for that bulb.  When that happens I'll either replace the bulb or start using the N2 system like I did toward the later ownership of my old spa.  :)

In Canada eh

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2007, 05:18:21 pm »
it is a UV light and a ozone water management system......UV light sanitizes the water killing virius, mirco-organisms and their ilk and the plasma ozone destorys the bateria.  It is a high tech two stage system......very slick.

UMMMM.........NO!!!!!!

Guys and Gals,

First of all there is NO way that system is removing 99.99% percent of all contaminants.  That is considered a 4 log removal rate that most municipal water treatment plants achieve with a H$LL of a lot more complicated equipment then a small ozone generator and a UV lamp  COME ON NOW!.  If you can provide proof from someone other then Coleman I'll believe it but until then, believe me it is not achieving that high of a removal rate.  Believe me you are not making drinking water inb your spa!

Second,  MPS (monoperoxywhachamacallit) is not a sanitizer, it is a oxidizer.  Chlorine is a sanitizer and a oxidizer if used in large enough quantities.

UV and Ozone should be treated as supplements to your water care system and not as your primary sanitizing method.

OK, I'm done ranting now
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 05:19:56 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

In Canada eh

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2007, 05:37:56 pm »
I understand what you are saying because I have had an ozone for years and years however this is an ELEKTRA AQUAMATIC made by Delta and is a mixture of Ozone/UV with a Clarifier system within.  EPA Registered #075659-CA-001.  99.99percent sanitizing and is in fact my primary source and I use Potasium Peroxymonopersulfate as an additive for that .1 percent doubt.  I also use Metal X for mineral and scaling.  This is how the system works:  Within the Elektra Aquamatic UV unit (which we will refer to throughout this discussion as EA), a high intensity electrically operated Ultraviolet (UV) bulb is located inside the unit's wet chamber.  This UV bulb gives off Ultraviolet light wave emissions when lit.  The bulb's operating emmissions range is within the Ultraviolet light wave spectrum at 253.7newtom meters of wavelength.  This wavelength is such that when bacteria, protozoa, viruses, algae spores, or other single celled waterborne microorganisms in the incoming water flow are exposed to the light waves of the UV bulb for a proper period of time, the DNA of the microorganism is altered or disrupted and this controls and eradicates these unwanted contamintes and renders them harmless.  The EA UV unit has been sized to produce these important UV rays in the same intensity as is required for Class A potable drinking water, which is 30 microwatts/sec/cm2.  While you may see lesser competitive units such as old Ozone or plasma clean zone units of similar vessel size claiming to work on larger spas or pools, you will find that these units do not operate at the same intensity as the other Ozon't do and are unable to obtain the same level of killing power as this EA Unit does.  Another words it combines the power of UVC light and Ozone, the same technology utilized in many communities around the world to purify drinking water.  It is the output of the lamp that meets required level specified by the US public health agency for class A drinking water.  

See above!
Bullfrog 451

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2007, 05:51:07 pm »
The problem as I see it is the UV "may" be sterilizing the water as it passes through it, but that water is simply being returned to the contaminated spa, and diluting the "contaminated" water there. There's a reasonable possibility that at some time the bacteria in the spa water could multiply faster than it's being killed by the UV light.

Additionally, activate is MPS, which is NOT a sanitizer, but an oxidizer.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2007, 06:05:36 pm »
The problem as I see it is the UV "may" be sterilizing the water as it passes through it, but that water is simply being returned to the contaminated spa, and diluting the "contaminated" water there. There's a reasonable possibility that at some time the bacteria in the spa water could multiply faster than it's being killed by the UV light.

Additionally, activate is MPS, which is NOT a sanitizer, but an oxidizer.

I'm a big fan of ozone. Ozone is great but the idea you could avoid using bromine or chlorine is a recipe for bad water and I've seen it before.

I have a CD ozonator on a 24 hr circ pump so I know I'm getting the ozone to work overtime but my best friend is still chlorine. I sanitize with dichlor after each use (and in between uses if I am not soaking regularly) to allow it to sanitize yet it dissipates rather quickly so the next time I go in the water isn't heavily chlorinated.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2007, 06:20:25 pm »
The problem as I see it is the UV "may" be sterilizing the water as it passes through it, but that water is simply being returned to the contaminated spa, and diluting the "contaminated" water there.

I think we were discussing that on the other forum. Until manufacturers find a way to introduce ozone into the spa itself - which sounds like it may never happen - I don't see ozone ever becoming a "primary" sanitizer.

I do wonder if ozone systems would work better if they were designed to be used like sanitizers. You could treat it like you would when you "shock" your water. For example, install ozone generators far larger than the ones we're using now, and have it hooked up to the main pumps instead of a smaller circ pump. Then, open the cover to prevent some of the damage from off-gassing (this would only work in outdoor applications, btw). Then, you turn on your ozonator, & the main pumps turn over the water as quickly as possible, much as you'd run your jets for 30-60 min. after shocking or a heavy chlorine dose. Might this work?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2007, 06:21:35 pm »
I just read the first page and last page of this thread so maybe I missed this but I was wondering where Phoenix spas land in the ratings???  :-/

mike in arkansas

Phoenix hasn't "landed" in the rankings yet, they're still falling... and fallllllliiiiiiinnnnnggg...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2007, 06:21:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42