What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ouch, how much was your last Electric bill?  (Read 8408 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Ouch, how much was your last Electric bill?
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:40:04 pm »
OK, it's been awhile since we did this. My electric bill last month was $326 for 1,579 kWh's. None of this was spa related. I'm not sure if my heater ever kicked on once last month. It was very hot in Southern California last month and our AC was running quite a bit. I'm sure Brooke has me beat.

Overall, this averages to be around $.21 per kWh even though our charges are on a sliding scale. How much was your highest electric bill this past summer?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Ouch, how much was your last Electric bill?
« on: October 09, 2007, 10:40:04 pm »

Spiderman

Re: Ouch, how much was your last Electric bill?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:06:33 pm »
From 07-25-07 to 08-24-07 we used 1,479 KWH which totaled $112.27  :o    Just a little bit lower than yours  ;D     That is from the upper mid-west
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 11:16:14 pm »
My electric bills have skyrocketed in the last couple of years, nothing to do with the spa...just the cost of energy.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 11:45:58 pm »
OK, it's been awhile since we did this. My electric bill last month was $326 for 1,579 kWh's. None of this was spa related. I'm not sure if my heater ever kicked on once last month. It was very hot in Southern California last month and our AC was running quite a bit. I'm sure Brooke has me beat.

Overall, this averages to be around $.21 per kWh even though our charges are on a sliding scale. How much was your highest electric bill this past summer?

C'mon, it's a dry heat where you live. If you want a reasonable power bill stop being a wuss and turn off that AC!!!

When I was your age we sat on blocks of ice to stay cool!! ;)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:59:02 pm »
LOL, you have me beat for once.  Mine was 1432 kwh for $286.

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 12:38:04 am »
We have competition in Texas.  I currently pay .10/kwh.  Some retailers of power charge as much as .16.  Amazing what competition can do.

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 03:13:16 am »
We are on a flat rate system and have gas for heat so our monthly bills are a consistent $123/month, EVERY month.  I couldn't even tell you how much we use.  It doesn't matter.

Have any of you ever heard of "Bloom Energy"?  It's not an electric company but rather IS an alternate model for power (using batteries of all things).  Self power generation and you sell back what you don't use to the power companies.  It's actually similar to an approach I started studying/considering nearly 5 years ago when Hydrogen was the only option for self generation.  Bloom has a write up in the Sept edition of Business 2.0 on Page 62/63.  Lots of people laugh at the approach but if your power bills are THAT high, then $20K for a unit might not be such a bad thing.  I'd sure like to get the distribution/selling rights to this technology in my area (even if it is still a few years away from maturity).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 03:18:12 am by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 07:45:07 am »
Our electric rates are about $.08/kwh.  Bill runs around $100 per month, give or take $20 or so.   In summer the spa uses less, but the central A/C makes up for it.  In the winter when the A/C is quiet, the spa uses more power.  We get a $10 per month discount in the summer months for allowing the power company to install the saver switching gear.  

Our natural gas bill is scarier than our electric.  Depending on rates, during the years when gas is high priced, we've paid $300 per month, or even more, if it gets super cold.   That was a couple winters ago.  They aren't sounding the alarm bells yet on  NG prices, so hopefully this winter won't be so bad- if so heat should cost under $200 most months.  When furnace isn't running, NG costs about $20/month- just for water heater, dryer and oven and stovetop.

Brewman

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 09:22:36 am »
My $286 bill told me if I wanted to switch to the level pay plan it would be $301 a month.  That seemed crazy to me as my highest bill all summer was $300.  Why would I pay that all year round... when 8 months out of the year I'm closer to $225 if not less.  Made no sense to me and certainly didn't motivate me to switch.

My gas bill this summer avgd about $20, in winter will run between $50 and $100 depending how cold it gets and how high the rate hikes are.

texxags

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 05:41:02 pm »
Who is your Electricity with?  

Lars

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 10:39:10 am »
My bill actually went down, even with the spa going.

Got rid of the electric dryer.  ;)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 02:36:04 pm »
Hi All.........the tool man back on board, currently spaless  :'( But I just payed my electric bill 24.81 for a month for the power and a 20 dollar delivery charge  :-?

I thought that stuff went down the wires all by itself??? I did not know there was a guy pushing it in at the power plant?
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 02:56:42 pm »
My electric bill was $183 for 1089 KWH. I'm paying about $0.165 per KWH total (supply + delivery) which is about $0.04 per KWH more than it was when I first got the tub.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007, 03:20:59 pm »
Or are there millions of teany tiny trucks driving back and forth down the power line dumping it at my house?
Retired

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 03:39:08 pm »
Who is your Electricity with?  

Who are you asking?
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 03:39:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42